New Silicon Graffiti Video: An Interview with Glenn Reynolds on The Higher Education Bubble
Since my blog was one of many inspired by Instapundit.com in the immediate wake of 9/11, and since it's celebrating its tenth anniversary this year, I had wanted to do a video interview with Glenn Reynolds to discuss the history and state of the Blogosphere. Given that he has a new "Broadside" (much longer than most magazine articles, but shorter than most books) from Encounter Books on the Higher Education Bubble and the impact of its aftermath on both students and academia, this seemed like the perfect opportunity. With a little help from the folks at PJTV.com for arranging the video hookup between our two one-man in-home video studios, here's my video with the Professor, in which he discusses:
- Glenn's early blogging influences.
- The similar attempts to burrow their heads in the sand by Big Media and Big Education, despite knowing that both institutions are clearly in trouble.
- How a speculative bubble forms and then bursts, and this case, how education costs have completely outpaced the rise in housing and medical costs. (Here is the scary-ass comparison chart by economics professor Mark J. Perry that Glenn mentions during the interview.)
- The relationship between Occupy Wall Street and the higher education bubble.
- Why expensive universities pushed unemployable majors, and why students were so eager to sign up for them.
- Will the bachelor's degree increasingly be seen as increasingly less important to success?
- How technology could help ameliorate the higher education bubble.
Click on the above video to watch; a handy embeddable YouTube version is available here. And click here and just keep scrolling, for three years worth of our earlier editions of our Silicon Graffiti video blog.
Update: Welcome readers clicking in from:
- Ace of Spades
- The American Enterprise Institute
- The Brothers Judd
- Five Feet of Fury
- Maggie's Farm
- Mark J. Perry's Carpe Diem econo-blog
- Small Dead Animals
- And the PJ Media homepage
Article printed from Ed Driscoll: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2012/7/2/silicon-graffiti-glenn-reynolds