Register ... or Rebel: How Many New Yorkers Will Defy New Law?
As draconian, ill-advised, and possibly unconstitutional as the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (NY SAFE) anti-gun law was when it was hastily signed into law, it might have been far worse -- this according to a New York legislator who fought against the bill.
Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin has released documentation showing rejected Democratic proposals for the NY SAFE Act. They included these:
- Confiscation of all firearms arbitrarily redefined as "assault weapons"
- Labeling semi-automatic shotguns as "assault weapons" if they can hold more than five rounds or have a pistol-grip stock
- Confiscation of 10-round magazines
- Limiting the number of rounds in a magazine to five; magazines of greater capacity to be confiscated
- Limiting number of magazines in possession to two
- Mandatory microstamping of all guns in NY state
- Statewide database of all guns
- Limiting guns purchases to one per month
- Allowing a pistol permit database to be released to the public
- Relicensing of all pistol permit owners
- Renewal of all pistol permits every five years
There were more.
Assemblyman McLaughlin explained the intent of his Democrat colleagues in Albany on his campaign site:
Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin (R, C, I-Melrose) today revealed a 15-point anti-Second Amendment wish list that Democrats lobbied to be included in the final New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (NY SAFE) Act. McLaughlin called the list the "second phase" of a gun-grab agenda targeting responsible firearm owners that downstate politicians have been supporting for years.
“First the new gun-control bill made criminals out of law-abiding New Yorkers. And the radical, anti-Second Amendment proposals outlined in this wish list suggest the second phase of the plan: confiscation,” said McLaughlin. “When downstate politicians criminalize responsible gun ownership, they only empower criminals.”
The rejected proposals seem to mirror -- at least in part -- the desires of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, who had publicly entertained gun confiscation and forced buybacks.
Article printed from PJ Media: https://pjmedia.com/
URL to article: https://pjmedia.com/blog/register-or-rebel-how-many-new-yorkers-will-defy-new-law