Stripped down to the very basics, here are the 23 items President Obama proposed this morning regarding gun control.
1. Issue a memo.
2. Address an issue relating to health insurance.
3. Pay the states some money.
4. Categorize people.
5. Propose rules.
6. Publish a letter.
7. Launch a campaign. (Been there, done that)
8. Review standards.
9. Issue a memo.
10. Release a report.
11. Make a nomination.
12. Provide some police training.
13. Maximize enforce efforts. (Sounds Orwellian.)
14. Issue a memo.
15. Direct the attorney general.
16. Hector doctors.
17. Release a letter.
18. Incentivize schools.
19. Develop models.
20. Release a letter.
21. Regulate health benefits.
22. Finalize regulations.
23. Get Kathleen and Arne talking to people.
The 24th, unspoken item is: Ride herd on Congress to ban stuff and use the friendly press to demonize them when they don't.
All the rest is mostly small-scale spending on things we can't afford, and a metric pantsload of paperwork. No lives will be saved.