• Drained the Aral Sea into near-nothingness
• Poisoned Lake Baikal, home to more than one-fifth of the world's fresh surface water (and Putin's Russia is making it worse)
• The rivers of the former USSR "are open sewers of human and chemical waste"
• Soviet nuclear weapons production resulted in "astronomically high radioactive pollution of towns, farm land, rivers, and lakes"
• Years of "irresponsible Soviet nuclear testing and dumping" turned the once-pristine Kola Peninsula into an environmental hellscape.
And who could forget Chernobyl?
I could go on, but instead here's a photoessay of Soviet environmental catastrophe.
Never forget: Communists poison everything.