If Obamacare Dies, What's Next for Health Care?
The Supreme Court declaring Obamacare dead will not necessarily help Governor Romney and the Republicans -- the death of one monarch may lead to another monarch. We need the proper bill to replace it.
When I was a health care advisor for the John McCain campaign -- and an ardent, vocal opponent of Obamacare -- I wrote of many possible solutions to alleviate our health care dilemma. It is time to reiterate them, with some adjustments. My basic mantra for health care reform: Keep it simple, stupid. Listen up, Governor Romney:
1. Abolish all state mandates. State mandates contribute to billions in additional costs to the basic insurance premiums. Let the market dictate what is covered.
2. Allow health insurance coverage to cross state lines.
3. Allow affinity groups to offer insurance to their members. This would allow churches, synagogues, AAA, AARP, and even Costco to offer health care insurance to their members. The sheer numbers from membership will bring competition from the different carriers to provide the most coverage for the least cost. Some of these groups may even offer lifetime memberships, which in turn would afford the member similar health coverage regardless of job insurance.
4. Allow catastrophic or major illness insurance. By removing forced state mandates, you will allow very reasonable catastrophic insurance policies. A 20-year-old healthy person should not be forced to pay for colon cancer screening.
5. Allow physicians to be just that. If a physician -- notice I did not call him or her a health care provider -- is a "provider" for a particular health insurance plan, then whatever he or she orders must be accepted by that plan. The insurance company can economically credential these physicians every two years. They can even remove them if they feel they are too "generous." The patient should not be used as a pawn.
The above five constitute the “easy” solutions. Now come the hard ones.
Article printed from PJ Media: http://pjmedia.com/
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/blog/if-obamacare-dies-whats-next-for-health-care