Gary Johnson Out -- Now Seeks Libertarian Presidential Nomination
Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson is doing what he probably should have done from the beginning:
This morning, I stepped before the microphones at a news conference in the New Mexico capitol and announced that I am seeking the Libertarian nomination for President of the United States. The Libertarian Party nominee will be on the ballot in all 50 states – as was the case in 2008.
It was both a difficult decision – and an easy one. It was difficult because I have a lot of Republican history, and a lot of Republican supporters. But in the final analysis, as many, many commentators have said since watching how I governed in New Mexico, I am a Libertarian - that is, someone who is fiscally very conservative but holds freedom-based positions on many social issues.
Emphasis mine. This is the real definition of Libertarianism, unlike the anarchist variety currently polling awfully high in Iowa.
Here's Johnson's agenda presented here for debate and discussion at Tatler (and which I do not endorse in its entirety):
My Agenda for America is clear:
- I want to end deficit spending and cut federal spending by 43%.
- I want to enact the Fair Tax to stimulate real economic growth and jobs.
- I want to end the manipulation of our money by the Federal Reserve.
- I support the Second Amendment and oppose gun control.
- I oppose expensive foreign wars in places like Libya and Afghanistan.
- I support a woman's right to choose.
- I support marriage equality for gay Americans as required by the Constitution.
- I support legalization of marijuana, which will save us billions and do no harm.
- I support returning strict adherence to Constitutional principles to our government.
Article printed from PJ Media: https://pjmedia.com/tatler
URL to article: https://pjmedia.com/blog/gary-johnson-out-now-seeks-libertarian-presidential-nomination