Federal Air Marshal on Trial for Rape in UK

A 42-year-old federal air marshal, identified only by the initials "JGB," is standing trial in England for raping a 23-year-old, intoxicated woman whom he met in a hotel bar just hours after completing a mission flight. The hotel room that the air marshal was staying in was paid for by the Federal Air Marshal Service. The woman worked for the British Royal Navy.

According to internal TSA documents obtained by the author, “the criminal charge is the result of a year-long investigation conducted by London Metropolitan Police and the Crown Prosecution in cooperation with the DHS Office of Inspector General.” The air marshal’s defense is that the act was not rape but consensual sex.

On Monday, the Telegraph broke the story, reporting that during the trial prosecutors showed that consensual sex between the air marshal and the woman was physically impossible. The woman was so drunk she had “only ten milligrams short of a fatal amount” of alcohol in her blood. “She would have been unconscious ... or in a coma” during sex, the Telegraph says the jury was told.

Further complicating matters, the barrister prosecuting the case told the court that the woman “did not make the allegation.” This is highly unusual in any rape charge. “She does not remember the sexual encounter at all,” the barrister told the jury. Instead, according to the Telegraph, “hotel staff called police after seeing marks on [the woman’s] arms.”

What else did the hotel staff see?

I’ve been following this case, behind the scenes, for over a year. There is a lot more that readers are not being told. Immediately after the incident, several air marshals provided me with details which I found both shocking and unverifiable. TSA, which oversees the Federal Air Marshal Service, refused to return calls. With news that the DHS inspector general is involved, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests will likely follow. Transparency will reveal details which the agency has worked hard to conceal. With good reason, Robert S. Bray, the director of the Federal Air Marshal Service, is concerned about the agency’s viable future.