Falcon Lake Murder: Mexican Investigator Beheaded

The investigation into the murder on Falcon Lake has taken a grisly new turn:

The lead Mexican investigator in the Falcon Lake case, Rolando Armando Flores Villegas, has been killed, his severed head delivered Tuesday in a suitcase to the Mexican military, officials told CNN.

"His head was delivered to the army garrison this morning in a suitcase after he failed to report back home last night," Zapata County, Texas, Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez Jr. said.

Mexican officials also confirmed the brutal killing.

For those who have been skeptical of Tiffany Hartley's telling of her husband's murder, fair enough, we all have been rendered cynics by the Susan Smiths and Scott Petersons of the world, but it's time to stand down on this case.  So far there is substantial evidence supporting Hartley, including an eyewitness who saw her being chased on the lake, blood recovered from her life vest, and police footage of the Hartleys being stopped on the road within hours of David Hartley's murder. That footage shows the Hartleys together, jet skis in tow, on their way to the lake.  Police stopped them because of a license plate mismatch, and then let them go. Up against this, there is no evidence that Tiffany Hartley isn't telling the truth, just understandable doubt.

And now we have the murder and beheading of the lead Mexican investigator on the case. It's abundantly clear from the circumstances of his death that the Zetas don't want David Hartley's killing investigated. They killed the investigator to ramp up their intimidation of law enforcement officers to keep them off the trail, both of this crime and of the Zetas activities in general

In addition to Villegas' execution, authorities in Arizona report a beheading on the U.S. side of the border:

Chandler police are investigating the bizarre case of a man who was stabbed, decapitated and left in a pool of blood in a central city apartment.

One man has been arrested and police are seeking three more suspects in what may be the city's first beheading.


The man police arrested in the case, Crisantos Moroyoqui, 36, is an undocumented immigrant who lived across the way from the murder scene. He rented a bed for $100 a month in a small apartment shared by five other day laborers. He had lived there three months, his roommates said Monday.

This may well be a gang-on-gang execution. It resembles many such executions that have happened in Mexico over the past couple of years. But it occurred on the U.S. side of the border.