Director of National Intelligence Clapper Comes A-Cropper of His Own Ignorance
- During Israel’s invasion of southern Lebanon in 2006, Akef stated that, if given permission by the Egyptian government, he was prepared to arm and field 10,000 Muslim Brothers to support Hezbollah. On November 30, 2007, he stated that his offer also applied to the confrontation between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. But did not stop there:
"This applies to any country under occupation. One of the principles of the Muslim Brotherhood is to rid the Arab and Islamic nation of any foreign rule. The Muslim Brotherhood must support all the forces of resistance in the Arab and Islamic world."
- On May 22, 2008 during an interview with a correspondent from www.elaph.com, Akef was asked if he thought Osama bin Laden was a terrorist or a jihad fighter. Akef responded: “Without a shadow of a doubt -- a jihad fighter. I do not doubt the fact that he opposes the occupation, nor that he does this to get closer to Allah.” When the interviewer asked if this meant that Akef supported al-Qaeda, Akef responded: “Yes, I support its activities against occupation, but not against civilians.”
- In November 2008, he stated: “Tyranny requires the raising of the young people on the basis of the principles of jihad so as to create mujahidin who love to die as much as others love to live and who can perform their duty towards their God, themselves and homeland."
Muhammad Badi, the new supreme guide of the Muslim Brotherhood who took over the organization from Akef in January 2010, has said the following:
- On March 9, 2010, on the Brotherhood’s website IkhwanOnline: “They crucially need to understand that the improvement and change that the [Muslim] nation seeks can only be attained through jihad and sacrifice and by raising a jihadi generation that pursues death just as their enemies pursue life.”
- On March 18, 2010, on the Brotherhood’s website IkhwanOnline: "... Jihad must not be likened to terror. Jihad means making sacrifices in order to restore what has been stolen, defend one's property, expel the occupier, and make Allah's word supreme, while terror is occupying someone else's land...."
- On April 15, 2010, on the Brotherhood’s website IkhwanOnline: "We will continue to raise the banner of jihad -- two swords and a Koran -- as long as the Zionists raise their flag, with two blue stripes to represent their so-called state [reaching] from the Nile to the Euphrates. And the [Muslim] brotherhood will continue to view the Jews and Zionists as their first and foremost enemies."