'Deep Cuts' Coming to U.S. Army
Meet our new Army of One:
The Army will announce that it will cut more than 10 brigade combat teams, a significant reduction in the size of its fighting forces and combat power, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
The Army previously announced it would reduce its end-strength from its current level of 541,000 to 490,000 soldiers by 2017 under the $487 billion of spending reductions mandated by the 2011 Budget Control Act, but has not detailed where it will cut. The Army is working to notify Congress of the cuts, an Army official told Stars and Stripes.
Army officials have said they had hoped to draw down gradually, but additional spending reductions and budget pressures have put those plans in doubt, the Journal wrote Tuesday. Some defense officials said that the Army will likely have to speed up its plans for reducing the size of the force.
There are so many snippy little responses to this story. A few for your pleasure:
• Good thing we won that war on terror.
• It's not like anybody still feared us anyway.
• And yet we still found money for "stimulus" spending in an immigration bill.
• Maybe now Putin will give us Snowden back.
• It's part of our re-positioning towards the Pacific -- Pacific Avenue.
• How can Obama pivot to jobs when there's still this great, big scary Army he has to look after?
I'm out. What've you got?
Article printed from PJ Media: https://pjmedia.com/tatler
URL to article: https://pjmedia.com/blog/deep-cuts-coming-to-us-army