VodkaPundit

Driving Way Off of Memory Lane

March 25th, 2014 - 4:31 pm

SCOUT II

Glenn linked yesterday to this Popular Mechanics listicle on their 51 favorite trucks, and I finally got a chance to click through — and stopped cold on the International Harvester Scout II. At the age of 14, this was the first vehicle I learned to drive, a 1975-vintage beast in ’70s orange to help hide the rust. Took that thing up and down the hills of southern Missouri, up dry creek beds, across totally wet creeks — everywhere. In any weather. It would be another three years before I learned to drive on paved roads.

An absolute beast of a machine. All it needed to keep going was a lot of gas and even more oil. Yeah, they were right to name it one of the 51 greatest trucks ever.

I drove a yellow 1974 one of those for years. This was in Iceland where gas was expensive. Learned how to drive with the lightest of touches.
Oh, you had one of the newfangled Scout II models? I learned to drive on a 1970 Scout, the original one, in the classic blue and white combination, soon to have rust-colored highlights. 304cu in V8, three-speed, Warn hubs, big old spare tire on the back. Just a great, great truck, off logging roads and through the woods to the top of the mountain and back. Two gas tanks, had to remember to switch the fuel flow before the first tank ran dry. Ours just burned a lot of gasoline, no serious oil consumption. Gas mileage improved as the body rusted away, I think... no matter how carefully we'd clean it up and dry it off, Scouts were rust magnets. I miss that old beast.
That was YOU in the orange IH?
I remember it. And that was my family driving by you in the red '76 Honda Civic hatchback jamming to KXOK on AM. . . .
Made me remember that I actually owned an IH refrigerator at one time. IH was the Fuji Heavy Industries of the U.S. Way back when--they made everything.
Wow, and even in my favorite colors. With white Keystone wheels! My brother in law owned one, but I was too young to drive it at the time. I lusted over that thing more than my neighbor's 'vettes!

Amen. (Places hat over heart.)
Mine was a 1960 Willys CJ-5. Unfit for roads, but unstoppable in the woods in low range. And yeah, it consumed oil like a drunken Saudi.