VodkaPundit

Prepare to Cry

February 22nd, 2014 - 1:21 pm

That’s my friend Jazz Shaw on Twitter yesterday, and it made me whip out my handy-dandy VodkaPundit TruDigit Calculatorâ„¢. Total private sector employment in the US this month is estimated to be 115,686,000. That’s 89.5 hours per worker. We’re losing 2.5 weeks out of each and every working year. Figure two weeks of vacation, and that’s 5% of our productivity whacked right off the top.

Just to fill out the goddamn forms.

I tweeted those numbers back to Jazz who said back to me, “Talking to AT&T guys. They employ a literal ARMY of people just to try to comply with shifting regs.” Think about that, next time you see how much your phone service costs.

Let. It. Burn.

I've been saying for years the dollar value of taxation costs pales next to the costs of regulatory compliance.

Politicians and bureaucrats just keep piling on new requirements year after year with no thought for how tiny the point of diminishing returns already looked in the rearview mirror thirty years ago.
The banking industry is just as bad.
Try doing something in the automotive, or worse yet aviation industry. 15% is doing awesome.
And of course there is always some regulation you have forgotten to comply with, putting you at the mercy of some petty bureaucrat.

Just look at restaurant health inspection listings in the local newspaper. Some place has been in business for a long time, with an experienced staff. Yet they'll be dinged for some improper storage or food not held at the proper temperature. Now on the whole, I do approve of these regulations, I had food poisoning once and it's not fun. But you will fail to comply sometimes.
try practicing medicine. 5% lost to paperwork would be dream.