VodkaPundit

In Which I Cause Bill Whittle to Change His Mind

February 5th, 2014 - 10:31 am

Am I the only one that doesn't watch the Superbowl for the commercials?
I never did understand the griping about the Coke ad. It was well done and the people in it would, I believe, tend to revert to their native language while singing that most wonderful song. The song is highly emotive to me and I would hope to all Americans, including the ones that just ain't got here yet.
the Chrysler ad is just a lie. Chrysler is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fiat.

The Coke ad is beautifully done - pure, crystal clear voices. I'm just sick of multicultural failures shoved in my face, and it, unfortunately reminds me of celebrations of America being shut down because "it might offend people who weren't born here", and the constant mocking of pride in things American. Stephen's point in celebrating Americans in foreign lands, those people who embrace the freedom and entrepreneurial, adventurous spirit that we hold dear, who just haven't manage yet to emigrate here, yet, rescues the day for Coke.

Similar cynicism for Chrysler's ad. A company that's saddled with the EPA, crappy government from the local level to the federal level, and a union with a stranglehold on it, who's needed bailouts since I was a child, needs to kick its dependence on uncle guido and produce swiss watch and german beer levels of quality, while dumping the government graft, before I'll consider it. Then again, the UAW remains a stain on the brand, as it is with most American car companies. I'm happy with my Kentucky made, very American, Camry, and will likely make my next purchase from a similarly unencumbered maker.

Both of these have a gut level reaction of cynicism, caused from watching the destruction caused by decades long anti-american and anti-business, touchy feely, "cool socialism" from the left's hand, suddenly trying to pull out some national pride when it suits their brand.
Kudos, Steve. You got me to change my mind too.