VodkaPundit

Thought for the Day

February 4th, 2014 - 6:16 am

Well, obviously this is one that people are going to disagree on. I think the whole point of the kerfluffle is that yes, we are a nation of immigrants. But if everyone continues to cling to the "old" culture and the "old" language, then we are not a nation. For 200 years, a common love for freedom and liberty as well as the English language unified us. Then, the magnificence of Multi-Culti made it non-PC to insist that new immigrants learn English. And the Progs/Fascists brought us a hatred for liberty disguised as a benevolent Nanny State. Voila, we are no longer a nation. Wiggleroom was elected twice. The rest is history.
It struck me as tribal, enshrining our path toward Balkanization in song. May have been better to have them sing in English with their various accents--or looking to our country from theirs if in their language. To me it celebrated separation not unity.

Language has only become important because Americans have decided that the highest purpose of government is to steal from the many and give to the few. Language has become a marker for suitability to receive subsidies.

Language isn't the problem--the problem is the subsidies.
I'd add that 40 years ago, this would have been much better received. In the current immigration and PC climate its another poke at Americans, even though it isn't intended to be.
I have no idea what Coke's intentions were, although I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they were foul. But this wasn't the national anthem being sung -- it was America The Beautiful. It's an aspirational song. And America is beautiful, in any language.

I saw the ad as the hopes and dreams of would-be immigrants, of Americans who just haven't gotten here yet.
I certainly believe the way you saw it is how it was intended. And I certainly get it, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I don't remember the visuals, as in was each nationality in their own country singing a verse? I just saw it as focusing on the hyphen instead of the American.
coke's intention was to sell more coke worldwide. probably never considered that some, including me, think that english is our language. trying to do the I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke thing again.

i consider the failure to make english the national language in the consitution was one of the greatest errors made by our founding fathers.
Why would you establish a national language? Would America be less American if it had become German-speaking along the line? The important part of the country is freedom, democracy, and holding up progress as an ideal, and that's true whether Christian, Muslim, or atheist, whether English, Russian, or Chinese.
unity, sir. there are a few countries that have done well over the centuries with multiple languages. Switzerland comes to mind. Canada, though it has problems. a dominant national language unifies the populace and if German had been been chosen we would not be less unified. we will see a balkanization in future years as spanish creeps in , followed by multiple other languages. then we will be less American.
I agree it would matter how it was presented. If it was PC multi-culti nonsense, then I am offended, even if I didn't see ad. Interesting that the Dutch have dumped multiculturalism and in the future all Dutch immgrants must learn the language and enter the mainstream culture. It took 50+ years to ban drugs, etc. while we're still plunging headlong into the same black hole they're coming out of.
Hmmm. Both good points. I also agree that pre-PC America bashing, this might have come off better. And viewing it from the standpoint of a would-be immigrant makes the ad far less insulting. But I can't believe that a majority of viewers took it that way. That almost requires focused thought on how not to be offended. If there is blowback, though, count on Coke to spin it that way.
It reminds me of a commercial from a few years ago, where people of various ethnicities and accents each proudly state "I am an American" which I thought was much more effective.
Yeah, I liked that one, too. But I don't think this one had anything in common with that one.