VodkaPundit

Flying the Sucky Skies

January 31st, 2014 - 1:01 pm

StrategyPage has more on India’s complaints about Russia’s T-50 pseudo-stealth fighter:

Indian Air Force officers have had an opportunity to check out a prototype of the new Russian “5th generation” T-50 (or PAK-FA). This is the Russian answer to the U.S. F-22 and according to the Indians, who have contributed $6 billion to development of the T-50, the Russian aircraft is in big trouble. The Indian officers noted that the T-50 as it is currently put together is unreliable. The Russian radar, which promised so much has delivered, according to the Indians, insufficient performance. The Indians also noted that the T-50s stealth features were unsatisfactory.

The T-50 is not meant to be a direct rival for the F-22 because the Russian aircraft is not as stealthy. But if the maneuverability and advanced electronics live up to the promises, the aircraft would be more than a match for every fighter out there except the F-22.

It’s been a while since Russian electronics lived up to any promises, but I could see China buying a few, cloning them, and installing their own electronics suites.

That assumes Chinese military electronics are a cut above their Russian counterparts. Save for the ICBM and nuclear technology slick willy gifted them, from what I've heard, it isn't.

Bingo. Thus far, I am unimpressed.

"...the aircraft would be more than a match for every fighter out there except the F-22."

Ummm, so then shouldn't we, perhaps, I dunno, maybe HAVE BOUGHT A FEW MORE FRICKIN' RAPTORS???
Don't. Get me. STARTED!

187 airframes. We'll lose a couple every year to accidents and whatnot, and have absolutely no way to make good those losses.

Crap. You started me. I'll stop now before I really get rolling.
Or, how about, instead of spending a half a trillion on bleeding edge tech that's two gens ahead of anything on the drawing board, we buy a few hundred brand spankin' new F-15 Silent Eagles. Or an evolved version of the F-16. Or an even more Super Hornet.

But I guess more of the same just a little better than the last version doesn't get your budget signed off on.
The F-22 is worth the money and we should have ordered a thousand.

The F-35 is almost worth the money, though 90% of its job could have been done better by a thrust-vectoring F-16, which would have been a better aircraft.

We should have so many Silent Eagles built that we're using them as drink coasters.

S/VTOL in a fighter is stupid. The Sikorsky X2 and other high speed helicopter designs are the better, cheaper way to crack that particular nut.

The F-35 is a very good airframe. It is a horrible procurement project. The F-35 should have been three airframes--an evolution of the F-16 during the mid-90's, a completely new design F-35 with evolutionary technologies in service by 2005, and an evolution of that as a full-blown F-38 and S/VTOL F-39 with all the bells and whistles coming on-line in 2015.

Must disagree with you on S/VTOL. We're going to need a Harrier replacement. The escort/amphibious carrier isn't going away, and UCAV flights are probably gong to need a human wingman.
Most S/VTOL aircraft generally don't move around very quickly in practice, at least from what I've seen and heard. I see no reason we couldn't get a pusher-fan, ducted-fan, turbine-thrust-- what have you-- high speed attack helicopter to do that job better than a S/VTOL jet.

We have the rotor technology to make a 400+ knot helicopter, seems silly not to do so.

I've seen what the F-35 can do up close and personal, and the VTOL arrangement is pretty spiffy-- though history tells us that jamming so much junk into a single airframe gets us a very expensive brick for all intents and purposes. I agree the F-35 should have been an evolutionary platform from day one.
sounds like you're mostly agreeing w/ me. I'm not against the Raptor. I just think it should have evolved from the Eagle rather than reinventing the wheel. Or in this case inventing something better than a wheel.
The Eagle is a really good platform, but the F-22 offers a number of tricks the 15 couldn't do without a pretty massive redesign of the airframe-- and if you're doing that you're essentially making a new aircraft anyway.

That said, the 15E has quite a lot of life left and we'd be idiots not to take advantage of that.