VodkaPundit

Is Black Friday a Hoax?

November 29th, 2013 - 3:38 pm

SAVINGS

Hoax” is far too strong a word to use.

Store’s margins might be higher — but a lower price for the consumer is a lower price for the consumer. I coat I might have purchased on Wednesday for $100 is cheaper for me on Friday at $75, irrespective of how much profit Macy’s might generate from it.

Nevertheless, Melissa and I refuse to partake in the madness, spending the day decorating at home with the boys. As the story notes further down, “The deals this week will be fine. They might be even better in January. Plus: no lines, no crowds.”

Yep.

I remember when "black Friday" emerged from the slime that is retail. We followed a line of cars in the off ramp of I 20. All of the cars except mine went left to the mall, we turned right to take a hike up Stone Mountain. Our tradition is to do something outdoors and healthy rather than absorb what the germ laden petri dishes that are the shopping centers today offer. I have an Amazon account and I am not afraid to use it. I never, never wait in line to spend money.
My daughters and my ex decided to forgo the Black Friday sales, as there did not seem to be much of anything on sale, and those sale items were 20% off or less. I, myself, do not know. I will take the words of these inveterate shoppers.

Gonna be a bad Christmas. Wages are down almost 10%, assuming you even have wages, and assuming you were not cut back to part-time. Inflation is way up, according to my grocery bill these last few months.

Tell your stupid Democratic relatives this, when they comment on the poor Christmas. Tell them, that elections have consequences. Tell them, that this is what they actually voted for.
This article was posted earlier today with a graph showing margins for the 1st 3 qtrs vs the 4th qtr for about a dozen retailers showing the magnitude of 4th Qtr increases. The article was completely rewritten in the opposite. What a crock!
Wife-unit 1.0 and, these days, moi, pick up presents year round on spec. We have a closet dedicated to next Christmas's presents for all the in and out laws into which I peer on fear of death. The holy of holies of Judaism has nothing on wife-unit. I worked a Black Friday as a Walmart employee. Props to the night stockers. Spent the day viewing cricket videos on YouTube. Didya know Sachin Tendulkar of the Indian national team retired this year? An Outrage! Good luck to ya, ST.
Remind me to NOT ask any economic questions of whomever wrote that article.

If there was a very specific item with a significant price savings available, I might risk the crowds. Otherwise I wait a week or two.
Of course their margins are higher - they get to amortize their fixed expenses over way more customers. There's a reason they call it Black Friday and not Red Friday.
I can't even tolerate more than a few people in line at the grocery store, so, no. I think the last time I actually set foot in a department or electronics store was... 2004? Whenever CompUSA went Tango Uniform.
Hey, Mr. L:

See? All peaceful and orderly... {/snerk}
I miss CompUSA. Great store, great prices. :)

Sometimes I miss ComputerLand. Remember them? For that matter the area used to have several small boutique stores where you buy motherboards, cases, etc.
Plus you have to factor in how valuable your time is. Would you rather spend 2 hours in line to save $25 ($12.50 an hour) or spend those 2 hours with the wife and kids?

For me, not having the aggravation of Black Friday shopping is worth any amount, considering I'm going to spend 6+ hours the next day on the Pennsylvania & Ohio turnpikes.