VodkaPundit

Just What You Never Wanted

July 19th, 2013 - 3:27 pm

So, there’s now an 8-inch Windows tablet. It looks like this.

front-shot-640x405

Maybe it wouldn’t look so ugly if Acer stuck some Microsoft stickers on it or something. Here’s what Ars Technica’s Windows guy, Peter Bright, had to say:

The Acer Iconia W3′s screen is a standout—because it is worst-in-class. I hated every moment I used the Iconia W3, and I hated it because I hated the screen. Its color accuracy and viewing angles are both miserable (whites aren’t white—they’re weirdly colorful and speckled). The screen has a peculiar grainy appearance that makes it look permanently greasy. You can polish as much as you like; it will never go away. The whole effect is reminiscent in some ways of old resistive screens.

It’s hard to overstate just how poor this screen is. At any reasonable tablet viewing distance, the color of the screen is uneven. The viewing angle is so narrow that at typical hand-held distances, the colors change across the width of the screen. At full arm’s length the screen does finally look even, but the device is obviously unusable that way.

Want to know the best part? It runs Windows 8, which is only partly touch-functional, so you’ll be spending a lot of time trying to poke at undersized buttons on that terrible screen.

Who at Acer thought this could possibly be a winner?

They got paid off to make a Windows 8 tablet ... you don't think they put their best engineers on the project?
Almost $400?
I am not a tablet power user. I have a 7" nook, which makes a great ebook reader and media player. I paid $125 for it (refurb from B&N). Now that B&N is getting out of the tablet business, the new 7" Nooks are about $130 and the 9" version (1440x900) is less than $150.
Nooks run an older version of Android.
Why is there a keyboard. The whole point of a tablet is not-keyboard (and mouse). Want a small computer w/ a keyboard? Get a net book. They're like laptops only tinier. If that tablet needs a keyboard, that's a huge fail.
Every Windows 8 tablet needs a keyboard, preferably one with a touchpad, because the OS is only partly optimized for touch. If you leave the Metro UI and you will have to leave the Metro UI -- then you're going to need a mouse or a touchpad.
Makes me wonder even more why HP threw in the towel so quickly on the Touchpad.

Meanwhile, the Rapsberry Pi looks fun:
That screen reminds me of when I bought an i-Opener so I could hack it to run linux. In 1999.