VodkaPundit

Black Forest Fire Voluntary Evacuation Zone Established [UPDATED]

June 14th, 2013 - 10:25 am

7:43PM: I should mention that the fires in Elbert County are also headed this way, and that the evacuation areas are just as close as the ones around the Black Forest Fire.

Elbert

6:17PM: A bit of good news. The northern edge of the Voluntary Evacuation Area has been moved back south to North Gate. And clouds are rolling in and the temperature is dropping. The winds remain a problem, and an unpredictable one at that.

5:49PM: I’d forgotten about WunderMap, which lets you track fires via satellite. Useful as all get-out. Anyway, here are the actual fires instead of just the evacuation areas.

Fire Map

Casa Verde is up closer to I-25 and County Line Road, so the worst burns are still a good distance away. Well, a decent distance away. They’re still close than the Waldo Canyon Fire got to us just this time last year.

5:20PM: All times Mountain for future reference. But how about some nice news:

“Steve Bartolin, President and Chief Executive Officer of The BroAdmoor, has advised the Colorado Springs Regional Business Alliance that the food that was to be served at tomorrow’s State of the City Luncheon for 500 plus member investors and community leaders will be prepared and delivered to the first responders today or tomorrow. We are most grateful to Steve Bartolin and The BroAdmoor for this significant gesture of support for our first responders and those they are working so hard to protect. The State of the City Luncheon will be rescheduled and payments made will be applied to a subsequent luncheon at The BroAdmoor.”

"5:20PM: All times Mountain for future reference. But how about some nice news:"

Switching to liveblog mode, eh? I want to see you write choking noises as Melissa wraps her hands around your neck and drags you from the house. ;-)

Seriously, though. Please don't be a hero. I'd rather read about you laughing about an unnecessary evacuation over a martini in Denver, than your obituary. I know I don't really need to say it, but I am any way.
I've never been good at the "quietly drunk" thing. I always start out with that intention, but it eventually gets turned up to eleven at some point.
Thoughts and prayers out to you, your family and the rest of those in harms way.
Steve, the radio was reporting there were fires on the South side of Shoup. Whether that is from the satellite or it's witness reports, I don't know.
May God Bless you and your loved ones, Steve.
Good luck everyone. I went through a bad California wildfire and I can assure you whatever happens, you'll have the strong support of your community and the nation.
This fire, at least yesterday, can move very quickly. When I got to my house just east of Black Forest Road yesterday, we were still not in the pre-evac zone. We started throwing some things together anyway and a few minutes later the power went out and I had a police officer knocking and telling me I needed to get out now. Managed to get the dogs, cats and wife into the cars and off we went. Not a moment too soon either as the neighbors yards were all on fire and we had burning branches dropping from the trees as we were going down the driveway. Pretty scary given that at most twenty minutes had gone by since I got home and it looked like we were ok for the time being.
any word on how your property has fared?
In the off chance you need to evacuate, we're up in Parker & have a ton of room.
Thanks! But if we need to bug out, we have friends way far south with enough extra beds for us, both boys, the dog, and the cat.
Find a Monolithic Dome in which to shelter.
See: http://youtu.be/prdpHYelN9o

By the way. I've been keeping Liora up-to-date on your situation. She sends her love and prayers to you and the gang.
good luck and best wishes