VodkaPundit

Black Forest Fire Voluntary Evacuation Zone Established [UPDATED]

June 14th, 2013 - 10:25 am

8:02AM: Have a better map of the evac areas now, complete with burn locations.

Thursday AM

Casa Verde is up closer to the little bedroom icon in the northwest, indicating Palmer Ridge High School. The school is still being used as an emergency shelter as far as I know, so for now our area is doing OK.

6:12AM: So this has happened more than a hundred times already, just in Black Forest. And as noted earlier, the Black Forest/El Paso County and Elbert County zones has merged at County Line Road. No word if County Line has been closed yet, so if we have to leave, we’ll head east and away from the worst of the traffic.

Jeeze

Also, I will be blogging non-fire news all day, or as long as the internet holds out. But this post will remain at the top of the page for at least one more day.

5:56AM: They’ve expanded the mandatory evacuation areas yet again, with both Elbert and Black Forest closed in on County Line Road. We’re still not in it, but this feels like the day we’ll have to bug out. Everything is packed and ready.

Even Bigger

8:18PM: Just now, from the Gazette piece linked earlier:

Firefighters on scanner: It’s looking good to the east and to the north. “That’s some of the best news I’ve heard all day.”

Bad as this is, so far it isn’t nearly as bad as last year’s Waldo Canyon Fire. Back then I wrote:

It was coming right at us, by way of the Air Force Academy and a series of firebreaks which Waldo had breached, one after the other.

Waldo, despite the oldtimey name, was one wicked fast wildfire. Unpredictable, too. Every time the fire crews jinked, it jerked. And the winds, which Waldo itself helped create, kept the firefighting aircraft grounded for hours at a stretch.

Firefighters last year swore up and down to a man and woman that they’d never seen anything like Waldo. They aren’t saying that about Black Forest. I think we’ll sleep OK here tonight.

8:14PM: The view from 30,000 feet.

BMmorLnCQAImql_.jpg-large

Via Twitter.

"5:20PM: All times Mountain for future reference. But how about some nice news:"

Switching to liveblog mode, eh? I want to see you write choking noises as Melissa wraps her hands around your neck and drags you from the house. ;-)

Seriously, though. Please don't be a hero. I'd rather read about you laughing about an unnecessary evacuation over a martini in Denver, than your obituary. I know I don't really need to say it, but I am any way.
I've never been good at the "quietly drunk" thing. I always start out with that intention, but it eventually gets turned up to eleven at some point.
Thoughts and prayers out to you, your family and the rest of those in harms way.
Steve, the radio was reporting there were fires on the South side of Shoup. Whether that is from the satellite or it's witness reports, I don't know.
May God Bless you and your loved ones, Steve.
Good luck everyone. I went through a bad California wildfire and I can assure you whatever happens, you'll have the strong support of your community and the nation.
This fire, at least yesterday, can move very quickly. When I got to my house just east of Black Forest Road yesterday, we were still not in the pre-evac zone. We started throwing some things together anyway and a few minutes later the power went out and I had a police officer knocking and telling me I needed to get out now. Managed to get the dogs, cats and wife into the cars and off we went. Not a moment too soon either as the neighbors yards were all on fire and we had burning branches dropping from the trees as we were going down the driveway. Pretty scary given that at most twenty minutes had gone by since I got home and it looked like we were ok for the time being.
any word on how your property has fared?
In the off chance you need to evacuate, we're up in Parker & have a ton of room.
Thanks! But if we need to bug out, we have friends way far south with enough extra beds for us, both boys, the dog, and the cat.
Find a Monolithic Dome in which to shelter.
See: http://youtu.be/prdpHYelN9o

By the way. I've been keeping Liora up-to-date on your situation. She sends her love and prayers to you and the gang.
good luck and best wishes