VodkaPundit

Black Forest Fire Voluntary Evacuation Zone Established [UPDATED]

June 14th, 2013 - 10:25 am

3:48PM: According to Weather Underground, there are at least two fires right at the Highway 83 line. That’s the last north-south running firebreak before I-25.

And my home.

Wunderground

3:02PM: According to the latest satellite detection map, at least two fires have been spotted south of Shoup Rd. Now I noticed during the Waldo Canyon Fire that these satellite images aren’t 100% reliable. But if this is accurate, there’s not another good east-west running firebreak until Woodmen — which really increases the pucker factor for folks in the Springs.

Shoup

Let’s hope the satellite is wrong.

2:17PM The expanded mandatory evacuation zone is within the city of Colorado Springs. It includes Fox Run Regional Park and parts south outside the city, and the Flying Horse Ranch development inside the city. That’s about 1,000 more homes with everyone ordered out.

Word is, the expansion is more due to fears of the winds picking up and shifting direction, than it is about new fires moving south and west.

Although the evacuations are west of the Highway 83 firebreak, there have been no actual fires reported west of there.

Updated

2:01PM: There have been some additions to the mandatory evacuation area in El Paso. Details to follow soon.

1:47PM: The Gazette is going all high-tech with this map. The red is the burn area, and the yellow dots are active fires as spotted by satellite.

Active Fires

"5:20PM: All times Mountain for future reference. But how about some nice news:"

Switching to liveblog mode, eh? I want to see you write choking noises as Melissa wraps her hands around your neck and drags you from the house. ;-)

Seriously, though. Please don't be a hero. I'd rather read about you laughing about an unnecessary evacuation over a martini in Denver, than your obituary. I know I don't really need to say it, but I am any way.
I've never been good at the "quietly drunk" thing. I always start out with that intention, but it eventually gets turned up to eleven at some point.
Thoughts and prayers out to you, your family and the rest of those in harms way.
Steve, the radio was reporting there were fires on the South side of Shoup. Whether that is from the satellite or it's witness reports, I don't know.
May God Bless you and your loved ones, Steve.
Good luck everyone. I went through a bad California wildfire and I can assure you whatever happens, you'll have the strong support of your community and the nation.
This fire, at least yesterday, can move very quickly. When I got to my house just east of Black Forest Road yesterday, we were still not in the pre-evac zone. We started throwing some things together anyway and a few minutes later the power went out and I had a police officer knocking and telling me I needed to get out now. Managed to get the dogs, cats and wife into the cars and off we went. Not a moment too soon either as the neighbors yards were all on fire and we had burning branches dropping from the trees as we were going down the driveway. Pretty scary given that at most twenty minutes had gone by since I got home and it looked like we were ok for the time being.
any word on how your property has fared?
In the off chance you need to evacuate, we're up in Parker & have a ton of room.
Thanks! But if we need to bug out, we have friends way far south with enough extra beds for us, both boys, the dog, and the cat.
Find a Monolithic Dome in which to shelter.
See: http://youtu.be/prdpHYelN9o

By the way. I've been keeping Liora up-to-date on your situation. She sends her love and prayers to you and the gang.
good luck and best wishes