VodkaPundit

Milk it for All it’s Worth, You Will

April 18th, 2013 - 7:39 am

If I were still ten years old, I’d probably wet myself at this news:

Are you ready for a barrage of Star Wars films? Disney hopes so: according to multiple outlets, the company has just announced at CinemaCon that it will be releasing a new film in the universe every summer, starting in 2015. We had previously heard that Episode VII was destined for a 2015 release, but with today’s development plans have become much clearer. Episode VIII should come out in 2017, followed by Episode IX in 2019. Meanwhile, the standalone films that will focus on particular characters from the Star Wars franchise will be slotted between each of those movies.

But I’m not ten, and I have to wonder if Disney isn’t getting a wee bit too ambitious here.

Then again, maybe they’ll do something interesting. I remember before Barbara Broccoli rebooted the James Bond franchise, some smart critic came up with a great idea: Hire a new actor/director combination for each movie, and see what happens. An Ang Lee-directed Bond? A female lead directed by Quentin Tarantino? Why not! The Bond world is rich enough for endless variety.

And so is the Star Wars galaxy. Shake things up. Have some fun with it, Disney. Hit us with the unexpected. Just don’t make direct-to-home-video quality stuff and expect us to pay top dollar to see it on the big screen.

I’m willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt — for a while. But I’d better see a lot more Toy Story 3 and a lot less Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue.

"But I’d better see a lot more Toy Story 3 and a lot less Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue."
Apparently I need to watch more children's films. When I first read that line it sounded more like something from Vivid Video.
The thing is, Stephen, that there are actually some good stories that have been published in the Star Wars universe in book form. By some pretty good SF writers. And there were plenty of such already published before George Lucas befouled the bed with Episodes 1,2, and 3.

Maybe Disney will have the good sense to go back and look at some of those stories, which have an established fan base, and develop them into film ....

Naaaaa.
After the horrible disappointment with the prequels I am just happy that Lucas is no longer directing.

I'm willing to give Disney a shot, they can't be worse.
I'm not worried re: my long term fears of the Disney-fication of Star Wars. I'm more concerned short-term. W/ JJ taking over both the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises, I'm just a-feard we'll get one generic action adventure space movie franchise thing... in SPACE!

With lens flares.
Disney's feature quality is largely dependent on which team gets the project, and how much managerial oversight they're stuck with. When the A team gets it and the justify-my-job droids have little, if any say as to artistic direction, you get stuff like Cars, and any of the other zillion dollar franchises that began with a great film.

New features are almost always given to the rock star guys. Sequels are not. Which, unsurprisingly, is why most Disney sequels suck. They're more about revenue than anything else, which means cheaper content creators and more management and marketing influence.

With Star Wars, I have little doubt the mouse will spare no expense and largely remain hands-off, at least on the first film. They're not stupid. They're only too aware of what happens when you cheese off a cult.

* Disclosure: I worked for the mouse for a decade and change.
Did the mouse end up freeing you from the hunters' net after you didn't eat him? ;)
Of course not. Union mouse.
Humm a remake of Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue.....What's Barney doing these days?
Tinker Bell? At least that series knows what it is. The worrying trend at Disney is better illustrated by Cars 2 (couldn't finish the DVD), Brave (Tangled was WAY better), and Planes (Direct-to-video suddenly upgraded to theatrical release). Even my 9 year old is complaining that Pixar movies weren't as good as they used to be. Sequel-fever in Monster's University and Finding Dory isn't making us feel better...
"I’m willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt..." You're too kind, Stephen. When in doubt about whether to give potential crap like this Disney idea a doubt, always go with the benefit of the doubt, and doubt.
I enjoyed the heck out of Brave. Cars 2 was abysmal, but Monsters U looks as charming as can be. And the non-trailer trailer is a work of marketing genius. We'll see soon enough if the movie itself is any good.

And Planes? My seven-year-old said, "It's just Cars with planes" and stopped watching the preview.
I *loved* Brave. The CGI was absolutely spectacular, and the character development was superb. Great story.

If the Pixar management is controlling the production of the Star Wars franchise, there's a real opportunity to create some break-outs in the next few years. Star Wars is very well established, for better and for worse. So the main storyline has some stability to it that can actually be used to advantage, with the right hand at the helm. But the spin-offs can really create some new and interesting brands, and be vehicles for risk taking. That'll backfire at least once or twice. But if they stick to their creative guns, then this could be a brilliant long-term strategy.

Heck. Look at the Avengers releases. While Iron Man I & II were great, and the remake of Hulk was above average, Captain America was middling and Thor was meh. But they stuck to their guns, and brought it all together for a smashing success with The Avengers, and the follow-ups are looking very promising. Marvel is looking at money-printing machines for the foreseeable future. That's a tough problem to have. As long as they're willing to keep rolling the dice, I'll take the occasional Thor, if I'm going to get kick-ass Avengers stories along the way.

Of course, if all Disney produces is dreck with Star Wars, then suffocation through saturation will be the result. But I'm willing to wait for the first couple of releases to see if they're really on the ball.