VodkaPundit

Sign “O” the Times

March 27th, 2013 - 12:56 pm

Wal-Mart shoppers are fleeing to other stores, and it’s not because those everyday low prices are suddenly too high:

“If it’s not on the shelf, I can’t buy it,” she said. “You hate to see a company self-destruct, but there are other places to go.”

It’s not as though the merchandise isn’t there. It’s piling up in aisles and in the back of stores because Wal-Mart doesn’t have enough bodies to restock the shelves, according to interviews with store workers.

Massive underemployment and Wal-Mart lacks for workers.

This, in a nutshell, is 21st Century America.

This article of full of garbage. Note the only Walmart employee/representative was a single 2nd-shift hourly. Also note that the author failed to provide many specifics, or cites, as opposed to broad generalizations.

All the Walmarts down here (Hamilton/Middletown/north of Cincy) are well stocked and run fine.

I generally get my groceries at Krogers, since it's literally right down the street, but there's a Walmarts where I work, so I have choices.

What I really miss is the Biggs that closed down a few years ago.
I suspect they are also trying to make do with too many part time workers to get around Obama care and such. If the distance from cheap rentals of the store is too far they won't be able to get enough part time workers due to transportation costs. Public transits eats up too much time if you have to travel between multiple part time jobs. People wear out and I've seen them work just enough to get qualify for another round of unemployment which pays them more than working does.
That is probably a bullshite, propaganda article. Can you trust Bloomberg anymore?

One of my best friends is a Wal-Mart manager. He claims he can hire as many people as he wants, anytime.

He blames the empty shelves on poor planning by suppliers who cut back on production because they expected slack demand this year.
I note that the main sources seemed to be pro-union activists...
you could be right. i read an article several weeks back that it was a supply problem, not a worker problem. it also may vary with region. what i do know is that i have reduced my walmart shopping for the reasons i gave below. the biggest unstocked shelf problem at my store is in the OTC pharmacy/personal care area. that problem has been going on for quite some time.
"Massive underemployment and Wal-Mart lacks for workers. This, in a nutshell, is 21st Century America."

About two years ago my wife and I attended a wedding in NYC. One thing that struck me about the hotel we stayed at, the wedding hall, the cabs and the restaurant we patronized the next day was that they were all staffed by foreigners. We counted the countries represented: Mexico, Guatemala, Cameroon, Ethiopia, India, Korea, Philippines, Pakistan, etc. Not a single American to be found in the bunch. The U3 rate at the time was just under 9%. Where were all those unemployed? Has drawing a check made actually doing a job no longer worthwhile? If so, we are completely hosed as a nation!
i have cut back on walmart for the empty shelves, the hand baskets and the prices. empty shelves mainly in the pharmacy section at my store, the prices higher in grocery and the baskets removed sometime back. to fair about the baskets, only one other area store has them. the most recent to withdraw them had them all stolen when they made a change in bagging policy.
Good timing. I was just in Wal-Mart a few days ago and I was thinking how crappy it was that a lot of shelves were empty. I ended up having to make another trip to another store to get items that Wal-Mart didn't have stocked.

I agree with the comment by rbj, too. Drives me insane that I have to scour the whole front area of the store looking for the lone hand basket. Otherwise, I only get what I can carry. I don't want to push around a massive cart with a gimp wheel.
Walmart lost me over the handbaskets. A lot of the time they weren't there, presumably so I'd use an oversized shopping cart (and thus with the impetuous to buy more then I intended.) Sorry, not going to happen. I'm single, with no kids. I don't need to fill up a cart.

And when they were available, cashiers were always bugging me to put them back. No. That's Wal-mart's job.

Then I compared their prices to the local Meijer. It was about 50-50 as to who had the lower price. Plus Meijer has shopping carts, hand baskets and mini carts. Mini carts! I love them.

So, being disrespected and not saving any money? Good bye.
I blame Bush. [/Obama and his minions]