Get PJ Media on your Apple

The PJ Tatler

by
Bryan Preston

Bio

August 13, 2014 - 8:40 am

The Daily Texan is the University of Texas’ newspaper. It is openly hard left, as many campus newspapers are.

Yet Democrat Wendy Davis’ first TV ad of her campaign for governor has managed to lose the patience of the DT.

The Davis ad, which leaves very little to the imagination, references an instance in which a woman was sexually assaulted by a Kirby vacuum salesman whom she had let into her home for a demonstration. She sued Kirby Vacuums because there was no background check conducted on the salesman, who was on probation for a sex crime. At the time, current Attorney General Greg Abbott, who is also Davis’ opponent, was an associate justice on the Texas Supreme Court. When the case reached the high court, Abbott wrote a dissenting opinion because, according to him, the manufacturer was not responsible for the local distributor’s hiring process; the local distributor employed the vacuum salesman. The highly dramatized ad along with torrential winds, shows the salesman entering the home, the woman’s children sleeping, a door shutting and the salesman leaving the house.

In an effort to portray Abbott as someone who will relentlessly side with corporations even in the horrific case of sexual assault, the incompetency of the Davis campaign has yet again come to light by exploiting what I am sure is a painful memory for the victim. Additionally, it’s hard to believe that Abbott, who has spoken out against human trafficking and obscene photography, has the same nonchalant attitude toward rape as Clayton Williams. The ad does not show a candidate who fights for women and against sexual assault; all I see is a desperate campaign that would rather go deep down in the gutter than accept a likely defeat.

Competent campaigns tend to use their first broadcast ads to introduce and define their candidate positively to the voters. Davis’ campaign has been anything but competent though. It has been rife with hires, fires and shuffles, and thanks to its hiring of Zac Petkanas from the Harry Reid delusion factory, has been on one setting for months — attack!

That’s all it does.

That won’t win, but it may be that they’re not trying to win anymore. The Davis campaign may be just trying to tear everything down.

Bryan Preston has been a leading conservative blogger and opinionator since founding his first blog in 2001. Bryan is a military veteran, worked for NASA, was a founding blogger and producer at Hot Air, was producer of the Laura Ingraham Show and, most recently before joining PJM, was Communications Director of the Republican Party of Texas.
Top Rated Comments   
Davis is, and always was, a "sacrifice bunt" candidate. She was never intended to win---though certainly the Left would take a win if by some fluke she were to be successful. Her candidacy is to lay the ground for the next governor's race, or the one after that; popularizing and regularizing radical positions, she is dragging the center of Texas politics leftwards to make it easier for someone---possibly, though probably not, herself---to win on those positions in eight or twelve years.

She is helping the Left to fail upward. The Left has a long history of failing upward, and conservatives have an equally long history of refusing to see this, and accordingly refusing to prepare for this challenge, let alone meet it.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
All Comments   (11)
All Comments   (11)
Sort: Newest Oldest Top Rated
You can point out Windy Davis's hypocracy, incompetence, double standards, bad policies, etc, all day long. I've seen it time and time again with LIV/Women voters. They'll hem and haw, but when it comes down to what matters, that "well, I'm not going to let 'them' decide what I can do with my body", even in the face of setting fire to the whole economy, they'll vote for the pro-choice socialist every time, no matter how abusively statist they are, and no matter how open the candidate is about it.

It's a dog-whistle, Pavlovian dinner-bell, Willie Horton knee-jerk visceral response, and logic doesn't enter the picture. Julia wants two things - free stuff, and a government that enforces 'fairness' to the benefit of the victim class. So long as the democrats tell women they're victims, that republicans are out to get them, cheat them, and abuse them, and they have a right to other people's stuff, they'll win.

It works for the same reason Jim Carrey's character won his case in "Liar-Liar": No matter how bad or in the wrong they know they are, women consider themselves to be victims, eagerly rationalize that mindset, and it's a winning strategy.

Works in domestic abuse cases, too. She can be standing there with a bloody knife or smoking gun in her hand, but play the "abused woman" card, and everyone runs to her defense. This is no different.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
Willie Horton was a genuine issue. Al Gore first brought it up in the primary. While Atwater said later he wished he "hadn't used a black guy" since there were many violent white criminals furloughed as well that committed more crimes, and Dems kept noting the program was set up by Dukakis' GOP predecessor, Dukakis never apologized to the raped MD women or her husband, nor even acknowledged that the event had occurred.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
Windy Davis is trying to "Willie Horton" Greg Abbot with this particular ad. The context that I meant it in was the derrogatory "appeal to white racism about urban thugs" manner that the D's refer to it.

But really, if Windy Davis was looking for a valid issue regarding Abbott, she could go after his record concerning child support enforcement and what he's done to undermine father's rights, especially the putative father registry. However, that would require Davis reject the feminist premise that men are incompetent and violent parents, or have any rights to their children that mommy finds inconvenient, so that's not gonna happen.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
Hey, don't count Davis out! The black race riots, looting and posturing in St. Louis might convince some Texas voters to agree with Davis that murdering even more black babies is a good thing.
Most Texas abortions are of black babies! If Davis wins many more black babies will die!
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment

10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
I think you're right. Bizarre ideas become out-of-the-box become mainstream.
One of those was that people of different races were all citizens, could marry and work together successfully, and should be treated without regard to skin color.
One of those was that poverty is the fault of the wealthy and the middle-class, who owe support to those who won't support themselves.
So the process can produce good results or bad results.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
Conservatives have to start planning beyond the Thermopylae and Horatius-at-the-bridge victories that they so cherish. They have to begin to recognize that their opponents are invariably planning for the long haul, that when they pick a fight it is usually designed to be a win-win situation for them---and that it is the seeming "loss" that can often be what the opponents are planning for.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
When you're Abortion Barbie, what difference does it make if you throw a few more people in the ol' tissue grinder?
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
> The ad does not show a candidate who fights for women and against sexual assault; all I see is a desperate campaign that would rather go deep down in the gutter than accept a likely defeat.

"Well, we'll just have to win then."
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
You might be right but LIV's don't know that...and negative campaigning works. Up to a point. In South TX people seem to see her for what she is: a bubble headed conniving lawyer who say anything to get elected.
10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
I love the smell of desperation in the morning. It smells of victory!

10 weeks ago
10 weeks ago Link To Comment
View All