The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

August 6, 2014 - 7:59 am

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said that foes of his efforts to cut Palestinian aid are behind media reports claiming that he wants to cut off aid to Israel.

The controversy goes back to a 2011 interview in which Paul argued that foreign aid should come after domestic debt crises. “We can’t just borrow from our kids’ future and give it to countries, even if they are our friends…. I think they’re an important ally, but I also think that [Israel’s] per capita income is greater than probably three-fourths of the rest of the world,” he told ABC back then. “Should we be giving free money or welfare to a wealthy nation? I don’t think so.”

Last night on Fox, while stumping through Iowa, the potential 2016 presidential contender stressed he’s “never targeted Israel for any aid cuts, never voted to cut any aid to Israel.”

Paul unsuccessfully tried to get his Stand with Israel Act through the Senate last month by unanimous consent, a bill that would stem the flow of aid to the Palestinian Authority if it maintains its ties with Hamas.

“And the interesting thing is I spent the last two months trying to cut aid to Hamas and the Palestinian Authority, and people seem to be trying to create their own story here,” the senator told Fox. “But I’ve been on the Senate floor three times in the last two weeks challenging the Democrats to say, you know what, Hamas should not get any foreign aid. That’s the real story here. Anything else really that’s being brought up is someone trying to create a story.”

Paul, who voted for extra funding for Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system before Congress left for the summer recess, said he’s never voted for any amendment to specifically defund Israel.

“I think it’s misinterpreted. I’ve had votes and budgets that would have reduced overall foreign aid. Some people have interpreted it, saying this is to deny aid to Israel, when, in fact, my inclination and my propositions have always been to strengthen our ties to Israel. So really people misinterpret it. I think foreign aid — we don’t have enough money to continue foreign aid to everyone all the time,” he said.

“But I’ve said repeatedly, I think we ought to start with the countries that are burning our flag, the countries who hate us. I’ve been to Israel. I don’t see anybody there burning our flag,” Paul continued. “So really, I’m for slowing down the aid, saying we don’t have enough, attaching conditions, making sure Hamas never gets any aid. All I’m asking is for some of these outlets that are unfriendly outlets, that they would report the truth, that I have spent a lot of time trying to reduce aid to Hamas and the Palestinian Authority. And if they report otherwise, they’re reporting something truly not accurate.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

We have been through six years of hidden agendas, parsed words and outright lying.

Rand Paul is trying to create daylight between himself and his execrable father, but not distance.

Rand Paul is on record enough times that we don't have to isolate his true feelings to words he said yesterday or legislation two weeks ago. Ron Paul openly shills for Russia, Iran and Hamas.

Rand Paul is more wily. So was Obama.

It's not how you rap, it's how you rule. No thanks on more hidden agendas.
To stop aiding who would eliminate Israel would be to minimize any need to aid Israel.
The "aid" currently going to Israel is in the wrong budgetary pot, because it's not aid in the classic sense. It's military assistance. So it belongs with such allocations for other friendly countries in the military assistance pot that's part of the Defense authorization.

Why isn't it there? Because the State Department fears that if aid to Israel wasn't in their foreign aid budget pot, there'd be less eagerness to pass it. (Said aid comes to roughly $50 Billion annually.)
I just wish Paul would go away & take the other two first term mouths, Cruz & Rubio, with him. All three freshman have experience more in common with the incompetent in chief we're suffering under. For all their verbiage they really don't know what they're talking about. Returning to previous allusion, the only thing they've ever run are their mouths!
A pox on all their houses!

Rand Paul is more wily. So was Obama.

It's not how you rap, it's how you rule. No thanks on more hidden agendas.
No one here would disagree with you on your assertion--especially the last line, but:

What does his voting record suggest? How many bills has he voted yea/nay for funding to either side of that engagement vs. trying to fix our own budget woes?

It may be a while before we see an appropriate candidate for the office of POTUS that will rally conservatives and hopefully libertarians, but at this point, what are our options?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to disprove anything you say or endorse him for candidacy, but just playing a little devil's advocate and want to see your perspective...
Tan, I have been watching Allahpundit, who says he leans toward Rand...uncover positions, tapes, recorded statements...that conflict with the postures of a guy who is clearly positioning himself ...rather than doubling down on the things I find troubling.

I don't know if there is anyone around whom people will coalesce, but I can't stand the father and I just don't see enough distance between them on issues that bother me about them.

I may be wrong, but I'm not buying what appears to be a forced "distinction" without a real difference.
OK, I'm a pretty big libertarian, but I have two major litmus tests that many other libertarians fail.

One - don't be an isolationist.

Two - don't be an anti-semite.

Rand's looking 0 for 2 at this point.

Damn it. I like the guy, but dammit.
There are a lot of good reasons not to be a libertarian, though I agree with many of their platform planks.

The term "isolationist" gets tossed around a lot and its subjective meaning twisted by whomever is trying to make someone else look bad, so I'd want to hear what you think it means before I'd weigh in on the concept.

In terms of bigotry, I agree I'm not a fan of bigots, but this article doesn't paint Paul as a bigot. It paints him as someone who holds a consistent ideological belief - State welfare is wrong, regardless of the State receiving the dollars.

I don't much like Rand Paul, mostly for reasons connected to being a libertarian and my belief that libertarians tend to pave the way for totalitarians. At least, those who claim to be anarcho-capitalists.
Excellent point, yam. Excellent.
A quick Google shows otherwise.

Paul's plan also would cut some $20 billion in overseas aid, and he said he wants to eliminate the $3 billion the United States provides to Israel annually in foreign military assistance.

"The overwhelming majority of Americans agree with Senator Paul; our current fiscal crisis makes it impossible to continue the spending policies of the past," Paul spokesman Gary Howard said in a statement responding to the criticism. "We simply cannot afford to give money away, even to our allies, with so much debt mounting on a daily basis."

Saying you want to eliminate the $3 billion and actually voting for it are two different things. There's no conflict of fact in what Paul says based on the information in the article and your own. In point of fact, the article you link doesn't even quote Paul a single time.

I'm not a big fan of Rand (and I can't stand Ron), but let's try to be fair. Honestly, I too would prefer that we not give Israel $3 billion dollars a year.

If we're sending them that money to help prop up their military to deter Hamas, then let's just go over and help an ally defeat a military foe who's encroaching on her borders. Otherwise, let's stop spending the money on other countries' problems and leave it in the wallets of the tax payers.
Are you suggesting that our military get involved in the war against Hamas?

One Trackback to “Paul: Foes ‘Trying to Create a Story’ by Saying He Wants to Cut Israel Aid”