The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

July 8, 2014 - 8:02 am

A Texas Democrat says border security isn’t about stopping people from coming across the border, but stopping drug traffickers and the like.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas), whose district encompasses a chunk of Dallas, told MSNBC that Gov. Rick Perry was off-base on his assessment of the current crisis in which thousands of unaccompanied children originating from Central America have flooded across the southern border.

“What has to be addressed is the security of the border. You know that, I know that, the president of the United States knows that. I don’t believe he particularly cares whether or not the border of the United States is secure,” Perry said. “When I have written a letter that is dated May of 2012, and I have yet to have a response from this administration, I will tell you they either are inept or don’t care and that is my position.”

“But when you look up and see loads of children unaccompanied approaching the border, it is not a matter of that type of security. When we talk about security, we are trying to keep out elements of illegal trafficking of goods. And this could be considered that, but these are human beings,” she said.

“And it is clear that we need to find out who’s bringing the children, who’s making the money. They are not coming here out of the blue sky. It is clear it’s an arrangement. And they are looking for relief. And I don’t know if the relief is in this country or not. Someone had to give permission for these young people to come. It had to be with their parents. I don’t know if their parents are here and paid for them to come or whether the parents intend to follow them or even be with them.”

Johnson said as we “analyze what we’re dealing with,” we’ve “got to find some place to house these young people, because they certainly didn’t do it on their own.”

The congresswoman added there needs to be “more exploration to see if the parents are already here and sending for the children or whether the children are escaping some violence or mistreatment. I think it’s not a simple issue.”

“This country has always been a magnet for immigrants and it continues to be. And we have to deal with that. This country is made up of immigrants. And all of us had to come from somewhere,” Johnson continued. “And so, I’m not saying we open our borders, but I do think it takes time to analyze this influx. This was planned. You don’t get four and five thousand children landing, coming to this country that’s coming from Honduras and Guatemala and El Salvador, which means they’ve traveled through more than one country to get here. They didn’t do this alone.”

Johnson added that she doesn’t think President Obama should make a visit down to the border to see the situation for himself.

“I think that he has people in place to take care of that situation. There have been leaders from all over the Congress to visit the border. Homeland Security has been there. What would be the point in the president going?” she said.

“I think maybe if he desires to go see it, fine. But he doesn’t have to go there to see it. He is scheduled to do a business stop at Dallas and one in Austin within Texas on Wednesday and Thursday. If he chooses to go, I think it’s fine. But I don’t think he needs to go and get information.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

"Johnson retorted that we could talk about homeland security, but I think our borders are fairly secure.”

It is simply astounding that someone this stupid, or perhaps dishonest, could be elected to public office, in a state like Texas, where the voters usually exercise common sense.
Heck if he spent as much time working in the White House as he has spent wasting our money on the golf course, he might even know who he put int his cabinet. Why should he go to our border?? Defending our country is the only thing he is supposed to be doing according to the Constitution. Instead he wants to be judge and congress. Why should he go to the border, indeed!!
I pray that I am wrong, but I fear that one day a major American city will vanish in a blinding flash brought about by a truck that rolled across our almost imaginary border. When that happens, people like E.B. Johnson will scream that Governor Perry should have done more to protect his state. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that I am right.
And "Amen Choir" drones on and on about Dear Leader without any understanding whatsoever that the illegals are just cheap labor that has taken all the jobs that were available to African Americans.

The stupidity of the Urbanites and their Reps in Congress.......sheesh....
Once again, this requires a value judgement. All value judgements are thought crimes of discrimination. Inaction has no consequence.
I think Gov. Perry should order fish and game agents to impound watercraft that travel into Texas from Mexico. Coyotes would charge more if they had to buy a new boat or jet ski for each trip into Texas.

While I only live 20 miles away, the majority of Rep. Johnson's district is a place I stick to main highways if I go through and never pull over and stop. Pretty much anything better than Harvey, Illinois or the South Bronx is more secure, law abiding and friendly than her district, so her scale of what is and isn't secure might be way off.
E.B. Johnson IS that stupid and dishonest. She's so stupid and dishonest that she'll lie to reporters on video about giving scholarship money to her relatives. Video, signed documents, etc. disprove her story, but still she talks to reporters.

Anderson Cooper AC360
Three words: Sheila Jackson Lee.
Just more proof that liberalism is a mental disease, and how far from reality these elected officials really are. Can you believe that this woman gets paid over $170K a year for being this stupid.
Finally: our straightest shooter has spit it out! I’ve been waiting for days for something definitive from Sarah Palin and at last, here it is:

I don't know.......come to Austin and talk to, you know, real people with real kids in school. I had the slightly surreal experience of a swarthy Hispanic woman griping that she couldn't waiver her kids out of a school that had "too many Mexicans." Then she griped about racism: people thought her swarthy construction manager husband with a Hispanic last name was getting mistaken for a regular illegal immigrant construction worker.

That's on top of my son's friend's mother- Hispanic and proud, explaining that Illegal immigrants are the worst- she was griping about consular cards for bank accounts. Then she explained that white people are mean racists.

"Johnson retorted that “we could talk about homeland security, but I think our borders are fairly secure.”"

What has she been smoking. I don't want Central American gang members coming here. And there's a bad situation in those countries, it's up to them to deal with it.
No good photo ops on the border
The golf course is closed to shelter illegals...

One Trackback to “Texas Dem: Border Security About Stopping Illegal Goods, Not People”