The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

June 18, 2014 - 7:31 pm

Veggie tales

We get a little suspicious when we hear the claims that it’s possible to get rid of the gunk that accumulates in our cells by doing a cleanse with “clean” foods.

But what if some foods actually do help detox the body?

The results of a recent clinical trial suggest that compounds in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli (and kale) prod cells to get rid of certain air pollutants. The intriguing randomized control trial of about 300 Chinese adults found that consuming a beverage made with broccoli sprouts every day for three months lead to high rates of excretion (in urine) of two harmful chemicals: benzene and acrolein.

I am very fortunate, I’ve always liked vegetables, even as a kid. But I like beer and In-N-Out Burger a lot too. The one thing I’ve never really embraced is balance.

I’ve heard wonderful things about it though.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

Both are good, too.
Yeah, broccoli is good for us. Probably a study paid for by the Broccoli Growers of America.

A year from now another study will tell us broccoli is the nearest thing to battery acid and we shouldn't eat it.
If you want to know about good green things, look at turnip greens.

"Greens" are foods that poor Southerners of all colors ate during the Reconstruction.

They're full of all kinds of vitamins and minerals.

Bleh. Anything turnip turns my stomach!

Collard greens, on the other hand, are popular around my house.
I guess I got lucky when it comes to the idea that these whelps will eat nothing but chicken-fingers and mac-and-cheese.

My kid likes broccoli. No, that's not accurate: he ADORES broccoli. Same for a phenomenal affinity for porterhouse steaks, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, mashed taters, many lettuces and a whole lot more.

Whoops! I didn’t get “lucky”.

I fed him these things from the time he had the teeth to chew them. And—with the exception of one dish—I always have refused to run a restaurant in my kitchen: he eats what is on the table.
Still not sold. Kale soup is OK because of the Portugese sausage called Linguica.

As for broccoli, I stand with Bush 41 and Newman from Seinfeld....
VILE WEED!!!!

The thing about this study is that it's from China. Really? People have benzene in their systems? That's because they dump toxins into their soil and hence their water supply.

How much benzene is in our water supply? I'm thinking maybe zero point zero zero zero zero one.

My thought exactly, who is drinking benzine?
They are. When vegetables (particularly green leafy types) are grown in benzene contaminated soil, they take it up (doesn't seem to bother them - in fact, there are some studies that suggest they do it to repel insects).

So - broccoli grown in China - where just about any plot of soil is going to be contaminated with benzene (as well as who knows what else) - is force-fed to people that don't normally eat it. Who then, for some reason, excrete more of it.
Ah, so my dinner choice of General Gao's with Broccoli was a wise one then.