The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

June 15, 2014 - 10:08 am

The title of this post is a slightly altered Scottish prayer, employed by frazzled parents no doubt, seeking to scare their children into good behavior.

This one is to be employed by Republicans with more than two brain cells working who fear another Romney presidential campaign.

Mitt Romney as Republican elder statesman, I don’t mind. The silver hair, square jaw, dignified bearing — perfectly cast as an old, wise man of the GOP. But Mitt Romney running for president a third time? The gag reflex is immediately activated and I frantically look around for a handy paper bag.

No way. There’s just no way, right?

Mitt Romney’s ideas summit here was intended to be a passing of the torch to the Republican Party’s would-be saviors, with five potential 2016 presidential candidates jetting in to schmooze with many of the GOP’s biggest donors and present their agendas for the country’s future.

Instead, the scene at a luxury resort in the Rocky Mountains quickly became a Romney revival. Minutes after the 2012 Republican presidential nominee welcomed his 300 guests, Joe Scarborough, the MSNBC host and former GOP congressman, urged them to begin a “Draft Romney” movement in 2016.

“This is the only person that can fill the stage,” Scarborough said at the opening-night private dinner, according to attendees.

The Republican elite rose early Friday morning to go skeet shooting with possible 2016 hopeful Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.). Then, over breakfast, they questioned Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), another potential candidate, about how he thinks he could defeat the expected Democratic front-runner, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Yet in hallway chats and over cocktails, they’ve been abuzz about recruiting someone else — Romney — into his third presidential race.

“Everybody realizes we’re devoid of leadership in D.C.,” said Harold Hamm, a billionaire energy investor who was one of Romney’s biggest fundraisers in 2012. “Everybody would encourage him to consider it again.”

Former Utah governor Michael Leavitt, a Romney confidant, told reporters, “I’d be for it, but it’s not my decision.” And George P. Shultz, secretary of state under President Ronald Reagan, said of Romney in his talk here, “I wish we could call him Mr. President.”

Don’t get me wrong. Mitt Romney is a very nice fellow. If I were to go into business, he’d be my first choice as partner. Honest, trustworthy, plus he knows how to make money.

But voters have spoken twice about their feelings toward Romney and frankly, it’s not flattering. Republican voters preferred John McCain to him while America preferred Barack Obama. I leave it to the reader’s perspicacity to describe the comparative weaknesses of both those candidates, which doesn’t reflect well on Mr. Romney’s electability, or even likability, as a GOP standard bearer.

So why the piqued interest among Republican whales?

You nailed it.

Romney is a wimp, except when he's running a scorched-earth campaign against conservative opponents in primaries.

THEN he fights.

The telling point for me in the last election, that point at which I knew Romney had lost was the Deer in the Headlight look he gave when Candy Crowley pulled a fast one on him. He wasn't involved enough to Know The Facts for himself, he was going on what he was told, so when Candy's statement didn't add up, he was unprepared to bury both her and Obama - all he could do was stand there thinking "But they told me He didn't."
I can see Ronald Reagan saying, "Candy, I'm glad you coordinated with my opponent and brought those transcripts with you. So would you be so kind as to read the transcript of his speech that morning where he placed the blame on a terrorist attack. Not just mentioning Terrorism in passing, but blaming the attack on terrorism."
Romney's tongue would have caught fire before he said anything like that.
The Republicans have lost touch with the American People, and that alone, will doom them.

There is one candidate who could easily beat Hilliary, but the Republican Establishment doesn't own him, and can't control him, so he won't be their nominee. Which means they'll lose again.
Romney is unlikely to run again, but he is a serious fellow who turned out to be right about just about everything in the 2012 campaign, and Obama turned out to be wrong and/or lying about everything. So naturally there is interest in a potential Romney run.

That the author paints Romney as a loser because ... the GOP picked McCain in 2008 (talk about bad choices!), and because the general electorate picked Obama (even worse choice!) is not a serious critique of Romney. The author simply doesn't like him - and that's fine, lots of GOPers didn't like him either, and that's at least partly responsible for having President Obama today .. too many GOP voters simply didn't vote in 2012, for whatever reasons.

We should encourage all people with the nerve and the stamina and a serious resume to run for the GOP nomination in 2016, and may the best man or woman win. I want them all to run, including the ones I don't like so much, so that we can all say we had a good set of choices (one of the biggest criticisms of the 2012 primary).

Hey, talk about bad choices, look at that guy Romney!

One of the worst things the Democrats have ever done, Romney prototyped and has yet to disavow his prototype...or even understand why he needs to.
From the article and comments, it is clear you are grateful that Romney lost since you didn't like him. So why you are so critical of Obama?
You succeeded, Romney isn't President. Obama is- just who did you think was going to be President if Romney lost? You won, be happy.
Hey dolt! Rick Moran is the GOP Establishment shill here at PJMedia. If even he can understand Romney is not the right guy, why can't you get it!
hoy........which is a cough and an oy. For whatever Godforsaken reason, that man believed that Massachusetts voters were like voters in the rest of the USA. Mr Romney ought have run with his wife and kids and their kids flanking him every step of the way- and yet, he didn't. If he can't get that right, the littlest thing- how is he going to get the medium stuff right? I'm not even hoping for the big stuff.

Dear God, please let there be a Cruz missile being warmed up. If you want tough, intellectual honesty and a willingness to stand up to America's enemies foreign and domestic (i.e., Hillary and AQ) he's the man. Stir in a little Carson or West and you would have an unassailable team.
Carson isn't ready. He doesn't know the enemy very well at all.

Give him some time.
Carson's not the guy, and at this rate he'll be in his grave before he has the intellctual foundation to be the guy--he's starting from being a run-of-the-mill Democrat, for crying out loud!
Romney was a Stepford candidate, a local evening news anchor, a Mr Roger's Neighborhood substitute host. He may be smart and he certainly seems a principled guy but he'll have no chance (again) against the Democratic machine.

We are better off running someone who will attack all of their BS constantly. Make it all about Benghazi, the VA and the IRS scandals so that the MSM will have no choice but to cover it. Predict what is going to happen to the economy and our health care system under Obamacare, the Democrat Energy policy and EPA global warming activism. At least then many low information voters will be unable to escape responsibility for what ensues.
"he certainly seems a principled guy "

In what universe? He's a lying sack of donkey dung, changing his position to suit the election du jour.

Us leftists are scared stiff of Mitt Romney running again. Please, of please, don't nominate him. He's unbeatable!

O.K. seriously, if the GOP insists on running a rich RINO Mormon former governor, you'd be better off with Huntsman.
The Republicans should have been very busily grooming their next Great Candidate as the left did with Obama. Instead they squander that opportunity. It's no small wonder we're going to be presented with the same tired, unelectable team of clown car riders.

I'll vote for Hillary before I vote for anyone who is among this sad cadre of cretinous castrati.
Parties don't really groom candidates ... they groom themselves, for better or worse. It takes a long primary contest to sort the wheat from the chaff, and even then the process can yield real stinkers like McCain (I cringe at the thought of that man being President! but I still wholeheartedly supported him and voted for him as our nominee).

Anyway, if you say you'll vote HRC if the GOP doesn't nominate your fave, it tells us far more about you than it does about any of the prospective GOP candidates. I gathered from your previous posts that you like to call yourself a conservative, but no conservative would ever vote for HRC. I dislike several of the potential GOP candidates quite a bit - especially including the clueless Rand Paul and the self-promoting Ted Cruz .. but I would vote for either of them in a heartbeat over any Dem, and especially against HRC.
"...you like to call yourselve a conservative, but no conservative would ever vote for HRC."

Yet another blanket statement that is not too terribly rooted in reality. I have grown rather cynical over the last few years as I see how the distinctions between the two major parties become more & more blurred with the passage of time. I am particularly steamed over the Republican Party's pattern of eating their own. This has nothing at all to do with being a "pure" conservative stomping her foot over not getting her "perfect candidate." I am woefully tired of Republicans imitating Democrats almost to the nth degree. As it has been stated by others, why vote Dem lite when you can vote for the real thing?

AFA Ted Cruz is concerned though, I'd vote for him in a NY second.
Stand in line! :o)
"Devoid of leadership in DC..." does not mean devoid of leadership in the 99.99% of the rest of the USA. Frankly, a candidate who has only been to DC to visit the monuments and museums has passed the first leadership test.
Romney's tongue would have caught fire before he said anything like that.
You nailed it.

THEN he fights.

"Instead, the scene at a luxury resort...". "'Everybody realizes we are devoid of leadership in D.C.,'" said Harold Hamm, a billionaire energy investor"... I am a capitalist (albeit currently a poor one) & even I can see what is wrong with this picture!! With: 1) Too many unemployed or underemployed. 2) Too many with bad mortgages. 3) Too many whose retirement accounts that have shrunk, pushing retirement well beyond 65. 4) Too much in Student debt....I can see 3 generations of one family clinging to each other to tread water...Grandma & Grandpa CAN'T retire, Mom & Dad can't keep their house & the Grandkids can't find jobs & when they do they won't be able to get married & afford a family of their own, until they are well passed 40. I sure hope Grandma & Grandpa have a big enough basement, for their kids AND grandkids!! WHY can we see this & the "Republican Leadership" (an oxymoron if ever there was one) can't?
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “From Ghoulies, Ghosties, Long-Legged Beasties, and Romney Presidential Campaigns, Good Lord Deliver Us”