The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

April 22, 2014 - 1:39 pm

Vice President Joe Biden introduced himself at a meeting with Ukrainian legislators in Kiev today as someone who has “someone who has held high public office in my country for now 40 years.”

Biden became the junior senator from Delaware in 1973.

“For 36 years I sat in our legislature, and I used to actually have this seat in our — I was the chairman of our committee.  Thank you for making me feel relevant again, back in a legislative body,” he told the Rada, adding that he’d signed the guest book at his hotel “Ukraine united, Joe Biden.”

“Just because I’ve been around, literally met every major leader in the world in the last 40 years, I don’t — I want you to know I do not underestimate the incredible pressure you all are under.  I do not underestimate the challenge that you all face. And I do not underestimate the frustration you must feel when someone like me comes along and says this is a great opportunity for you. As my mother would say, but for the honor, I’d just as soon as pass the opportunity,” he quipped.

“…I hope none of you have to appear in the first edition of the ‘Profiles in Courage in Ukraine,’ but my expectation is some of you are going to have to make some really difficult, difficult personal decisions,” he added, referencing JFK’s book.

Biden told the lawmakers that there’s “an expression in English, it says, an expert is anyone from out of town with a briefcase.”

“Well, I don’t have a briefcase, and I’m not an expert. But I have an opinion, and I speak for the president of the United States, and he shares the same opinion. And that is that this is a second opportunity to make good on the original promise made by the Orange Revolution. This is a genuine opportunity to get right what is always difficult to do the first time when coming out from under the oppression or control of another power,” he said.

“…I have an expression I use as I’ve gone around the world through my career is you never tell another man or woman what’s in their interest. They know their interest better than you know their interest. And so I want you to know that we are not suggesting we have the answers for you, but we’re merely suggesting that we stand ready to stand with you in every endeavor that you undertake to generate the united prosperous and coherent Ukraine you’re all fighting for.”

The veep told the Ukrainians to “imagine where you’d be today if you were able to tell Russia: Keep your gas.”

“…And you may have different traditions. It’s not quite the same, but we understand different traditions in our country — not as deeply as you do, but we are the most heterogeneous democracy in the world. We’re soon going to get the point where over 50 percent of the United States of America is made up of people of non-European stock; the majority of the American people are not of European origin in 2020. We understand. We have millions of Muslims. We have hundreds — but it’s not quite the same. We’re not up against a border. We’re not sitting against a border of another powerful nation.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

It is a disgrace that this poor senile man is allowed to run around the world and his family has not the decency to find a nice clean nursing home for him. It is only matter of time before he starts taking off his pants in public.
It's amazing when all that is necessary for an astonishing article is to quote the Vice President of the United States and provide a small bit of context.

It is even more amazing to remember at the end of it that you are not reading The Onion.
Just what the Ukraine needs... another Uncle Joe.
What a complete doofus.
The Ukrainians better not take anything this clown says very seriously.
They could end up in a war with Russia and Obama won't lift a finger to save them.
This VP, this sleek and oily salesperson, goes to the, for him, safe part of this poor, torn and divided country to sell his lies and bad advices. And only the radicals in Kiev, those responsible for the coup, will listen to him and it will be disastrous for the country. He and Obama doublespeaks all the time. They say that Russia must de-escalate while they are escalating the crisis all they can. Now all these NATOexercises across Eastern Europe. They created the crisis for their own murky reasons and because of the demands of their cronies and friendly oligarchs, now they want the Ukrainans and the European taxpayers to pay the prize. Disgusting.

What a lie! And not just a normal politician's lie but a profoundly cynical one told to the Ukrainians at a hugely critical moment in their history. Obama has already made it crystal clear that he will not defend or even arm Ukraine. To then say that we stand with Ukraine is such a breathtaking lie that it boggles the imagination.

I can't imagine how alone the Ukrainians feel right now, knowing that the Budapest Agreement was a complete farce and that nothing stands between them and the Russian Army but whatever restraint Putin is willing to show for his own reasons. They must know now that the US will do nothing for them. There are probably some very old Poles sitting around right now with flashbacks to 1939 when Germany attacked them and nobody did much of anything for them. (Yes, Britain and France declared war as per their alliance with Poland but they didn't actually do anything to help Poland: they just mobilized their armies and stood by as first Hitler and then Stalin invaded and dismembered their country. Even the end of that war didn't restore Poland to freedom; instead the West threw them under the bus and let them live under Soviet control until the Soviet Union finally collapsed.
This guy is dumb in over 40 languages.

There is so much wrong in this speech on so many levels. What an embarrassment.
We have a nation teetering on war and in danger of losing its freedom and this twit goes over there and says "hey look at meeee. It's about meeeee. Weeeee."

For the first time in my life I'm not proud of being an American.
Regarding the 50% European stock level, any Hispanic immigrant who doesn't have African or Indian ancestors becomes part of our European stock, as Spain and Portugal are still in Europe.

Biden's there to make Ukrainians want to get absorbed into Russia -- if it will make him go away.
Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so! Good ol' Joe, a man of the people these past 40 years. Blessed be the name of Joe.
1 2 Next View All