The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

April 18, 2014 - 5:03 pm
YouTube Preview Image

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) slammed the founder of Facebook for going after him on immigration reform, saying the CEO just wants to pad his profits with more legalized workers.

The advocacy group co-founded by Mark Zuckerberg, FWD.us, released an ad in Iowa featuring Alejandro Morales, who wants to serve in the Marine Corps but can’t because he entered the country illegally at 7 months old.

Morales stands gazing up at the Iwo Jima Memorial in the ad as the music swells. “I believe 100 percent what this country stands for. Let me earn it. Let me serve.”

Imposed over a shot of the memorial are quotes from King, including, “We’re not going to take your oath into the military, but we’re going to take your deposition and have a bus for you to Tijuana.”

Another ad states that instead of supporting the military, King “insults the brave soldiers who are immigrants and those who would proudly serve.”

“I am under attack by billionaire Mark Zuckerberg because I am one of the few who will stand up and tell the truth about amnesty,” King responded in a statement. “He wants amnesty because it would benefit his multi-billion dollar corporation, but I’m fighting to preserve the Rule of Law. Why would we reward people for breaking our laws? Rewarding law breakers produces more law breakers.”

“Our Nation’s military is full of dedicated men and women and to disrespect them by rewarding illegal aliens with citizenship is an insult,” King added. “I ask that everyone who agrees that illegal immigrants should not be rewarded for having broken the law stand with me.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

I have asked one question to several of these 'Dreamers' who want to join our military for legal status and have yet to get the simple answer that would make me believe that they would be good soldiers. I have asked, "If we went to war with Mexico would you be able to shoot and kill Mexican people?" (If I had come across any illegals from other countries the question would have reflected their country of origin.) I have asked 5 young men and gotten the same immediate response every time... "We will never go to war with Mexico." That speaks volumes to me me about where their loyalty would lie. The answer should be a simple 'yes'.

It is very desturbing to me that our government/military would even consider allowing people who are in our country illegally (no matter how young or how they got here ) to serve in any way in our ared forces. Has honor and intergrity been completely lost?
Zuckerberg is the one insulting the military by using it to line his pockets.
Steve King better tone it got down. Zuckerberg has got billions and thanks to Citizens United he could buy King's seat, and probably the rest of Iowa. Voters don't run the show anymore, rich guys do.
Wasn't there a supreme court decision that allows "political speak" to be protected under the 1st Amendment"? Does this apply ONLY to Republicans? Isn't Zuckerberg an entrepreneur who is employing LOTS of people? Has he been convicted of tax evasion? Has he taken "government subsidies"? I doubt I would agree with him on every aspect of ANY topic, (let alone a hot button topic like immigration reform) but he is exercising his "protected free speech" & as such he is within his rights to fund ads stating the moon is "made of green cheese" if chooses to do so & IF we consider ourselves Patriots, we need to recognize this. However, that alone doesn't stop anyone from b!tching about his opinion. That's what makes this country great!! :)
You can find heart-tugging anecdotal stories to justify the nullification of most laws. To use such stories in this way is a despicable tactic aimed at the emotions of shallow thinkers. The end result is civil disintegration, misery and chaos.
He says he supports 100% what this country stands for. This country stands for Rule of Law applied to all men equally, yet he doesn't want the law applied equally to himself or his familia. If he has been here since he was 7 months old he's had over 17 yrs to go through the process of becoming a legal US citizen!!! Why is he just now concerned with his illegal immigration status?
I'm not familiar with immigration law, but I somehow doubt a juvenile can start the proceedings to become naturalized.
I am not certain on this but I am married to a legal green card carrying Canadian immigrant, so I am pretty sure I once heard Hubby say that you can legally join the U.S. Armed Forces at 18, (the age of majority for "some things "). At 17, you can only join the military IF your parents sign some paperwork allowing it. It's a safe bet that Morales parents weren't about to show their faces at a recruiting office (or any other government agency), lest they be deported. I have met several people who (like Hubby) are "legal residents" but NOT citizens & were in the active duty military. Before I met these individuals I was under the mistaken impression that you HAD TO be a citizen to serve. I am all for immigration reform because what we have is NOT working, but I have no idea how we solve the problem of babies smuggled into this country or "anchor babies" born here, other than repealing the law stating that everyone born here is an automatic citizen. Perhaps a model of "earned citizenship" for everyone born here would solve that part of the equation. Then there would little to no incentive to "drop babies" here, as long as "government freebies" are denied those who are not citizens.
guess Zuckerberg is a domestic terrorist, per harry reid, because there are laws that have to be followed and zuckerberg seems to be inciting people to violate the law.
Well, we have a long tradition of giving preferential naturalization to immigrants who serve in the military but it has never been blanket policy, afaik. I oppose Zuckerberg's desire for more cheap technical labor, as it just lowers salaries and pushes more Americans out of jobs. And I know his sponsoring this ad about the military is just to SNEAK in his "reform" for more workers. But the issue itself, of military "amnesty", is another matter.
Ah the genius of Facebook- to get people to assist in collecting personal information about themselves so that it can be harvested... to furnish a critical assist in turning life's little details into a commodity to be bought and sold.

It's hardly surprising that Zuckerberg is a shill for immigration reform... I know, non sequitur...
National Chamber of Commerce is in favor of amnesty because big business wants lots of immigrants for low paying jobs. Meanwhile, we expand welfare benefits.

"If the US went to war against Mexico ..."

This reminds me of the time I was in South Africa at the height of Apartheid in the 1960s when I witnessed a discussion similar to the above phrase only directed at a Jew by a supporter of the govt., "would you kill Jews if we went to war against Israel?"

I asked the questioner why he would expect South African Jews to stand "loyally" with him as they had not accepted them as equal citizens over the years and go to war against their kindred when the govt., hounded them at the least pretext to subserviantly conform.
As for South Africa going to war against Israel that was plainly rediculous given the inability of South Africa to wage war with a country thousands of miles away, though maybe now if it builds on its ties with Iran it might just get a chance.
That's funny, I thought the US Govt's policy on illegal immigrants was 'don't ask, don't tell'. It seems unfair of the govt. to deny illegal immigrants the opportunity to enlist when it supports the 21st century's 'peculiar institution' (illegal immigration) in so many other ways.
1 2 Next View All