The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

April 11, 2014 - 12:41 pm

Ya think?!?!?

A German furniture store chain has apologised for selling mugs with Adolf Hitler’s face on them.

The ceramic cups feature a faint image of a Nazi-era postage stamp with Hitler’s profile on it, postmarked with a swastika stamp.

The mug also features a rose and handwriting in English.

The Zurbrueggen furniture chain apologised for the “terrible” mistake, which it blamed on “a stupid chain of unfortunate circumstances”.

The cups’ Chinese designer had mistakenly chosen the image of the former dictator, it said, which the chain then ordered in error – 5,000 of them.

Sure, blame it on the Chinese.

I’m pretty sure they know who Hitler is too.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

One slow Saturday while strolling the flea market in Annecy France, we came upon a pile of baseball caps emblazoned "Denver Raiders".

Chances are that the Chinese factory made a few thousand, only to have the American buyer reject them. So sending them to France seemed like a way of recouping at least part of the cost of making them.

I still have mine.
Sure, blame it on the Chinese. I’m pretty sure they know who Hitler is too.

True story. In my first year of university, I took a Political Science class and, at the first lecture - there were probably 300+ students in the class - the lecturer made some general remarks about history and politics. At one point, he made a reference to Hitler then stopped to look around the room. One of the students, a Chinese, said "Sir, who is this Hitler person?" There were blank looks from some of the other Chinese students in the class as well. The professor had obviously anticipated this reaction, having probably encountered it before. He said a few words in Chinese and the Chinese then nodded in an "Oh, THAT guy" manner. I've always assumed that he had told them the name by which Hitler was called by the Chinese. (I once read a book about Dr. Norman Bethune, a Canadian Communist, who had died in China in 1939 treating Communists that had been fighting non-Communist Chinese during the civil war and know that he was NOT known as Bethune or anything that sounded like it to me. Here's the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Bethune). I suspect Hitler was known by whatever combination of Chinese words mean "little lunatic with the funny moustache" or something like that....

I'm not sure if any of our Chinese readers can shed light on what the Chinese called Hitler. Subotai Bahadar (sp?) maybe?
Compared to Mao? Why would the Chinese have a problem with Hitler? Most of them probably don't know who he was.
"I’m pretty sure they know who Hitler is too. "

The average rank-and-file Chinese? Yes, most of them, in a dry, historical, he existed kind of way.

But do they understand who he is?

No. I don't think so.

He's not Chinese, therefore not important. It simply doesn't matter in the Middle Kingdom.
I love that it's a German magazine lecturing the shopkeeper over the name of his store.