The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

January 17, 2014 - 9:07 pm

Sooo 20th Century.

As I was hooking up a new phone in my living room, the kind where you plug a jack into the wall, I wondered why I was holding onto what had largely become a relic. It rarely rings, and even when it does, it’s usually the dentist or a robocaller.

Could my family do without it, much like the 38.2 percent of households that the government estimates use wireless phones alone? How reliable is wireless 911 now? And is there any big difference between the landline services offered by traditional carriers and by cable companies?

These are all questions I had only vague answers to, so I wanted to investigate whether the $900 or so annually we spent on a traditional land line was justified.

I was surprised that the number was only 38.2 percent. I haven’t had one in six years, I believe. Phone bills are a great place for cities and states to nickel and dime you to death with taxes so I figured I would rather pay for one phone than two. I do understand why some people who work a lot from home have them.

But I don’t understand why my mom does.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.
Don't forget, land lines have tremendous taxes so you can pay for Obama's cell phones for the poor.
Is it Cold Warrior to want redundancies?

Is VOIP (especially when part of a Triple Play package) susceptible to a Denial of Service (DOS) attack?

It is nice to have a Plan B if/when Plan A goes south.
Years ago, in a house I no longer live in, something in the phone wiring somewhere in the house killed the landline. Nobody could locate the fault to fix it without tearing out the walls, so we adapted.

We ported the number to VoIP and even though we've since moved and the phone wiring in the new house is (presumably) in good working order, we simply haven't bothered getting a landline.

Maybe if we moved to where there was poor cell coverage and no good Internet availability to run a femtocell (which we've needed in both houses), maybe then we'd go back to landline...
My land line phone lives at home. I go out to get away from the damn thing. Why should I carry a cell phone? So other people that I don't want to talk to can pester me? I'd get rid of the land line, too, except that I need it to connect to the internet.
The internet connection is the main thing.
I wouldn't ditch a land line on the basis of taxes alone. Soon enough, the state and local governments are going to want their taste (to be fair, between things like streetlights, police, and firefighters, local governments generally offer much better value than their state or federal counterparts).

But for the vast majority of people land lines duplicate some of the functionality provided by their cell phones.

As an aside, how pathetic are the readers of the New York Times? Or is it just journalists who can't pour out a boot with instructions on the heel?
Since we do have the occasional power outage that also takes down local cell towers a land line is a useful backup. I'd go for the absolute cheapest plan possible. And sometimes we let the cell battery die, which mine is even as I type, oops. Also needful if your best broadband option is DSL.
triple play
Triple Play means that one service goes down, they ALL go down.
Unfortunately for me, cell phone coverage is not nearly as universal as necessary for me to drop my land line. I have to stand on the front porch of my home to get a reliable cell phone signal, which is inconvenient at best.
There are still many places up here in the Upper Peninsula of MI with no cell phone coverage. There are places close to me that if my hubby is hunting or fishing there, I can't reach him, and he can't call out. The state is trying to let the phone company get rid of land lines completely, whcih is a mistake. Lots of older folks don't care for cell phones and still have land lines too.
i have a land line. i have no desire for a cell phone. i'd get rid of the land line, too, except that there are rare true emergencies.
Well if you live someplace with no service and expect the power to go out due to snowstorms, or trees hitting the wires, sure, throw the old relic out and wait for the government to come by to help you in an emergency.
I gave up the land line seven years ago. I have not missed it.
1 2 Next View All