The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

December 24, 2013 - 4:36 am

Former Homeland Security Committee Chairman Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) said he’s still pondering a run for the White House because he doesn’t want Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) define the GOP.

King, who’s made five trips up to early primary state New Hampshire and admitted in July that he’s toying with the idea of a presidential campaign, told MSNBC he hasn’t made up his mind yet and his decision should come “sometime next year, either next year or the beginning of 2015.”

“Again, I’ve been up there five times. I am looking at it. People are talking to me. But so far, I’m just using it as a chance to find out what’s happening on the ground, support other Republicans. But if I see the support is there, then I’ll make that decision,” he said.

“I think a presidential run itself is very important whether it’s me or somebody else. I don’t want the Ted Cruzes and the Rand Pauls taking over the Republican Party. I want this to be a blue collar, conservative, Ronald Reagan party with someone who can work with organized labor, strong foreign policy, don’t be apologizing for America, don’t be afraid about drones attacking us in Starbucks.”

When asked if he could beat New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R), King replied, “I think you should ask Chris Christie if he can beat me.”

“And actually, yeah, I’ve known Chris Christie for quite a while. This is what happens. I mean, if he jumps in, that’s one thing. That wouldn’t — that alone would not be enough to keep me out. I mean, Chris Christie and I get along. We share some views, others we don’t. And we’ll see what happens. But I wouldn’t be deferring to anyone else,” the congressman said.

“…One way or the other, I’ll be to Iowa, yeah, because if nothing else, just to talk to other Republicans to find out what direction the party should go in. I mean, New Hampshire and Iowa set the tone for the campaign and that sets the tone for the party and the country.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

His chances? A snowball's chance in hell.

NO MORE RINOS!

Makes no difference who he would be matched up against - HRC or a player-to-be-named-later. I will not vote for a RINO. PERIOD!!!

Are there words that could possibly make it any more clear?

Peter King's consistent defense of the surveillance state, and his trashing of the Constitution, means he isn't fit to breathe the same air as Ted Cruz. King has about as much chance of being elected President in 2016 as McCain. He's in the same class as his buddy Chris Christie. If King is the Republican candidate, I'll vote Libertarian, or write in Cruz's name.
Worst of luck to you, Peter King.
Don't see King garnering too many votes outside of Massapequa NY.
Oh please lord, another establishment Republican to dilute the GOP, RINO's need not apply, save the GOP? you are part of the problem Pete and you can try to equate yourself to Reagan, but you and I know you couldn't come close to being that type of Conservative even in your wildest fantasies.
Moderation is not what is needed to save this Country from the full blown Socialist/Marxist attack we are under!
His chances? A snowball's chance in hell.

NO MORE RINOS!

Are there words that could possibly make it any more clear?

Peter King, the long-time IRA supporter? Yeah, I'd want him for president. Maybe Gerry Adams can be his running mate. #GoAwayPeter
Peter King? Yeah, I like his column in Sports Illustrated, but I'm not sure he'd make a good president.
"Work with organized labor?" Why throw a lifeline to such a dedicated enemy that's already sinking under its own socialist weight?
We already have a dictator; why would we choose a King?
Worst of luck to you, Peter King.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha...