The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

November 7, 2013 - 12:27 pm

Here is TIME magazine’s ever so classy cover for tomorrow’s edition.

time-christie-elephant

Former TIME political editor Karen Tumulty calls it “lazy” and “stupid,” but she’s wrong on both counts. Clearly, TIME is not suggesting that Chris Christie is fat just because they’re using the GOP’s mascot in the headline to remind readers of his weight. That’s your filthy imagination.

They’re really just suggesting that he’s Alfred Hitchcock. Or something.

hitchcock

The Christie cover is neither lazy nor stupid. It’s deliberate and it’s timely. The Republican just won a landslide in a blue state, something Democrats and their media allies can only dream about reciprocating in, say, Texas.

The mainstream media has a history of tricky use of covers and photos to attack Republicans as they rise to threaten Democrats’ grip on power. Christie just painted blue New Jersey red. So he must be killed off by a thousand media cuts and there is no time to waist. I mean waste.

This isn’t new. There was the Newsweek cover depicting Michele Bachmann as too crazy for Cocoa Puffs.

bachmann-newsweek

Newsweek invented a whole fake science just to whack Sarah Palin.

palin-newsweek

Newsweek went out of business pulling stunts like this. TIME should learn a lesson from it.

But they won’t. And then when called on it, they”ll do what Obama has done this week and accuse you of misunderstanding them even though you understood them perfectly well. “If you think putting ‘elephant’ over a fat guy on our cover was meant to remind you that he’s fat, that’s on you, not us.”

Sometimes the trick isn’t what’s on the cover, but what’s not on the cover but should be. There’s another trick they pull — the New York Times is especially good at this one but others have learned it too — where they take a great but inconvenient story that ought to lead the front page and they bury it in the 20th paragraph in an obscure story on page six. Then when you bug them about not covering the story, they whip out that paragraph and say, “But we did cover it! See! Right here!” Right, you covered it, you just deep-sixed it in the Marianas Trench when you did.

I never went to J-school so I don’t know if they teach this stuff there, or if it’s more of an on-the-job training sort of thing.

OK, SO CHRISTIE IS NOT THE PERFECT CANDIDATE, BUT IF HE COULD SWEEP HILLARY IN 2016 WE SHOULD EMBRACE HIM WITH BOTH ARMS. IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO CLEAN UP THE OBAMA MESS; HOW MANY REPUBLICANS/CONSERVATIVES STAYED HOME IN 2008?
my classmate's mother-in-law makes $85 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for nine months but last month her paycheck was $17110 just working on the laptop for a few hours. why not try this out

( ⌣́,⌣̀)\(^◡^ )
Christie has my vote as did Guiliani. I lived in the Northeast many years ...far from the Bible Belt, don't like public displays of religion, and like Christie's attitude. I think I am somewhat typical os the people living in that part of the world.
I don't know why the Democrats think they have to destroy Christie's prospects for 2016, but I sincerely hope they spend a lot of time and effort doing so, and that it is successful. Because, as a conservative, if Christie is the Republican nominee in 2016, I won't have any dog in that fight.
I recall reading TIME back in the sixties and seventies and think it's charming they are still attempting to keep this archaic medium alive. It's a bit like a trip to Pioneer Village. Why we would view either of these fine institutions with anything but amused curiosity eludes me however.
Perhaps TIME could feature him on the cover every week, as it did for Obama in 2008.
Christie has absolutely no coat tails. He gets a landslide, but his overwhelmingly Democrat State House and Senate, are basically unchanged. He helps no one but himself, I can't think of a more selfish and divisive Republican, although McCain comes close.
What's up with this CLEARLY DISCRIMNATORY photo of Gov. Christie? We (as a country) are SUPPOSED to not discriminate based on skin color, gender, sexual orientation, or age, but it's O.K. to "bully" based on body size????
I once weighed more than 375 pounds, and am still too close to 300. The one and only thing I respect Christie for is his refusal to apologize for not being a walking scarecrow.

He may think he's got a shot at becoming president, and some can claim that his failure to achieve it (should that be the case) is the result of his size -- but that's no different from people claiming the only reason anyone can possibly oppose Obama is because of his race.

I haven't given a schist about TIME Magazine in years; I have no reason to give a schist about Christie's political future. I sure as Sam Hill don't give a schist about anybody's attitude toward anybody else's BMI.
Christie has gotten ahead of the fat thing many times. "Ya noticed?" He should rebuke Time for shrinking his profile.
I see what you're doing there, Time. You're hoping that I'll like Chris "Obama Hugger" Christie more if you insult him.

Sorry, but the enemy of my enemy is still just my enemy's enemy. I'm not looking for a "centrist". I do not want the average of "somewhat acceptable" and "so bad it's unbe-freaking-lievable". And it'll take more than reverse psychology to change that.
1 2 Next View All