The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

July 30, 2013 - 6:40 am

The Congressional Progressive Caucus called the demand of fast-food workers protesting in some large cities to earn double what they do now “a fair negotiation.”

“Low-wage workers all across this country are deciding that they have got to have a better reality for their families. So yesterday I was here with members of the Progressive Caucus, and we were — I was in front of a Wendy’s and — with Jan Schakowsky and Jerry Nadler, standing with workers saying we need a pay raise,” Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) said this morning on MSNBC.

“But we had other members who were in other parts of the city — I was in Milwaukee about a few weeks ago and in D.C. the work week before that. We’re trying to get the minimum wage increase. These workers are asking for $15 an hour. That’s a fair negotiation,” he added.

Members of the CPC wrote President Obama earlier this month to demand “immediate action” on higher wages for employees of private contractors and concessionaires operating in federally owned buildings and sites including Union Station and the National Zoo.

“By organizing to expose federal government complicity with their low wages, these workers have stepped to the vanguard of today’s controversy about the unprecedented income gap in our country, characterized by falling middle-class and low-income wages and rising income among the affluent and corporations. This gap cannot be addressed if our country continues to tolerate wages that leave workers in poverty,” they wrote.

Ellison said fast-food workers rely on food stamps and housing subsidies while corporate owners are “doing fabulously well.”

He added that consumers should be able to swallow higher prices to compensate for the pay hike “for somebody to be able to feed their family.”

“Much more needs to be done, no doubt about it. Because the results are not there. Yet there is something the president can do right now, and that is sign an executive order so that federal contractors have to pay their workers a livable wage,” Ellison said.

“People who are working at the Air and Space Museum, the — Smithsonian, people who are at the Reagan building and at the Union Station in D.C. — these are federal assets for the American people — are getting paid minimum wages they can’t survive on. The president can change that tomorrow. And I hope that he does.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

That's one way to achieve Nanny Bloomberg's goal of reducing the amount of obesity. Who is going to pay gourmet prices for a Big Mac? Fast food workers won't see their wages rise to $15. They will end up making nothing.
Sorry, did he say $15 an hour for flippin' burgers? WTF?

Say, I don't think I'm making enough money, either. I demand that my company double my salary, immediately!

Wow, that was easy. Why didn't I think of demanding way more money than my job is worth a long time ago?
Here's an idea and hear me out, please:
Just as we now have calorie count placards for everything on the menus, list a proposed price for any item, if $15/hour were the rule.
The protestors and their ilk could then see it, voluntarily pay it and then, be quiet about it.
Not paying the extra tells us that they're just fine with things the way they are, and were just gettin' loud because they could.
The IRS works the same way. No one prevents you or anyone from paying more that you're levied. How many do exactly that ?
Damned few, to be sure......
If these low wage workers "demand" an increase in the minimum wage, they should then be weaned from Food Stamps and Rental Subsidies.
BTW, I wonder if Keith Ellison realizes that the Muslims are actually enemies of progressivism. When the alliance no longer serves the Muslims, he may find out they don't really consider him a true Muslim.
Think they'd like to job-out his punishment ? I might be an infidel, but I am thorough and I enjoy most any task.
Gold bullion, please.....
Very few minimum wage workers are supporting families -- and they shouldn't be. If you're working for minimum wage, or your boyfriend is, don't go all the way and start babies you can't raise, for heaven's sake. I'll go further: for God's sake, literally, get a real job before you make babies.
There are a goodly number of entry jobs at minimum+25%, say. There are dang few entry jobs at minimumX2. I've got an education and I'm not making minimumX3.
Nor am I elitist. My son is working minimum wage at Yellowstone this year and they're taking his room and board out of it. Good experience, a little money -- but he's not trying to raise a family that way.
Somebody needs to clue in this idiot Ellision that, like physical goods, cost of labor is based on supply and demand. There is no labor scarcity for a burger flipper of a Smithsonian floor mopper therefore, the cost of that labor will be low.
Also, I'm tired of seeing the false equivalency being made between the act of purchasing a Happy Meal and the investment of time that said burger flipper put into making it! Just because someone chooses to buy a Big Mac meal today for $6 doesn't mean they'll line up to pay $9 for it tomorrow! This is commodity labor producing commodity food! if the Dims force up the price of a burger, demand is gonna go down! Why is that so hard for idiot libs to understand? How do they keep reaching the conclusion that businesses will be okay with just breaking even?
When people stop buying fast food, then what? Do we bail out McDonalds?

These people are populist morons of the highest order who sell their souls for a little bit of political power now! Talk is cheap. Pretty soon, these politicians looking to score political points by rabble rousing with the malcontents will find themselves on the recieving end of things. When the stupid sheep don't understand why they are now getting laid off from their jobs because the business is going broke and the politician can't help them, hopefully this lesson in economics starts to sink in!
These idiots should just be fired and fast food joints should go back to hiring high school kids who are using these jobs to pad their eventual resumes. Of course, most of those kids probably have been raised to think that such labor is beneath them by parents who tell them that only losers do that kind of work because it's true that only losers flip burgers at McD's and see to make it their career for life.

The job is classified as entry level for a reason.
Sorry, did he say $15 an hour for flippin' burgers? WTF?

Unions will. It's written into their contracts that their wages be based on minimum wage. This won't stop here. If a few minimum wage joints cave, this will quickly become a new minimum wage and then all the unions will get a new raise to reflect it. The only ones who won't are suckers like us who work in reality also known as the private sector.
No joke, aharris. A few years ago, right after a minimum wage hike, I helped a local company re.-work their pay scale, all pushed up by the hike in minimum wage.
But they weren't hiring right away
Remember the Communist motto: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

This is the "to each" part, brought to you by the Congressional Communist...I'm sorry, I meant "Progressive" Caucus.