The PJ Tatler

Matt Vespa

March 12, 2013 - 8:47 am

As Rick Moran wrote two days ago, Mark Kelly was caught buying an AR-15 rifle.   Kelly, who is part of the new anti-gun offensive in the media, was busted by Breitbart’s Neil McCabe and AWR Hawkins after following up on a tip.  It seems that Kelly:

…made purchases which included an AR-15–sometimes described as an “assault rifle”–at 3:30 pm on the afternoon of March 5 at Diamondback Police Supply, 170 S. Kolb Street, Tucson, AZ.

According to McCabe, witnesses to the purchases claimed Kelly purchased “high capacity” magazines as well.

On March 6, McCabe contacted Kelly’s gun control group–”Americans for Responsible Solutions”–and on March 8 they replied that his message had been passed on to colleagues who handle press requests. Breitbart News then began investigating the details surrounding the purchase, including visiting the gun store.

Suddenly, Kelly announced on his Facebook page that he was not going to keep the AR-15, which he has yet to pick up from the store.

Days after making the purchases, Kelly wrote on Facebook:

I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a .45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don’t have possession of it yet but I’ll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do.

So, Kelly bought an AR-15 to prove that law-abiding citizens, like himself, could easily pass a background check, and own a so-called “assault weapon.”   You call that a master plan? Then again, it also could’ve been done to save his own skin.  He attended a gun control rally the day after his purchase.

On March 6, he [Kelly] attended a Tucson rally with his wife, former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, to “call for tougher gun-control laws.”

The rally was held at the plaza where Jared Loughner shot Giffords in January, 2011.

In covering the rally, the Los Angeles Times reported that out of all the gun control supporters, “Kelly and Giffords have emerged as top voices in the call for stricter regulations.”

Speaking at the rally, Kelly said that his wife inspires him every day. And that often, “as she heads off to therapy, the last thing she’ll” do is remind Kelly to  “fight, fight, fight” for more gun control.

It’s all good.  Mark Kelly cleared the whole thing up on CNN last night saying, “he went into the gun store with a plan to buy a .45, ‘and if we had the opportunity, to buy the AR-15 as well.” He said he didn’t ‘know the timing,’ but he and his people ‘had a plan for when [they] were going to announce it on Facebook.”

Lesson of the day: A law-abiding citizen has the right to own an AR-15 rifle for self-defense, and Mark Kelly doesn’t know what side he’s on in the gun control debate.

Matt Vespa is a web editor at Townhall.com and occasional writer for Hot Air, RedState, and Townhall Magazine.

When I was young, I wanted to be an astronaut. But I fell for the propaganda that said I wasn't smart enough to be one. Now, it is obvious that I'm much smarter (and more honest) than an astronaut.
The simplest explanation: He's a lying hypocrite.

Which is a shame really, as I had earlier admired him even as I disagreed with his advocacy.
I think that he bought the gun to use it as propaganda in his narrative of how easy it is to get an "assault" weapon. It was going to be a 'show and tell' moment. But unfortunately the story got away from him!
This guy was an astronaut?
Wow, have they lowered the standards from The Right Stuff.
Just face it, he's an arrogant pr#ck who figured laws were for the little people - not someone like him!

Caught red-handed in his hypocrisy, he's spinning like a ceiling fan right now trying to salvage his financial future as a liberal mouthpiece.

Reason I say the above is this - if he were trying to make a point about handguns, why did he purchase a pistol that holds only 7 or 8 rounds (depending upon magazine)?

To get the kind of effect gun control activists want - and if it were truly planned for ahead of time - he'd have more likely picked up something with more standard magazine capacity than 7 or 8 rounds. Something like a Beretta with a standard 15 round magazine, instead of a pistol that nominally would still be legal even in Cuomo's restrictive New York.

If he were trying to make a point regarding the AR-15, then why buy multiple 30 round magazines to go with it?

He could achieve the same talking points with the one 30 round magazine that comes with the rifle.

No, he's caught being a liar and a hypocrite. Too bad we can't send his a$$ back into space and just leave him there.
If he's so against gun ownership, why was he going to buy a .45 in the first place? Then he saw an AR-15 and thought "hwy, I'll buy an evil assault rifle while I'm here". Gabby will never know and if we ever get attacked again, I'll have something to defend ourselves with this time.

Look up hypocrite in the dictionary and it will say "see liberal".
Actually he has changed his story again. He is now telling the press that he is planning to sell it over state lines.

His stories are so full of holes it is laughable.