Ron Radosh

Why would General Washington not want to destroy tribes  fighting with the British army against the rag-tag troops fighting in the war to save the new nation? Did our desire during the Second World War to destroy the German troops fighting for Hitler’s Third Reich mean our intent was genocide? Of course not. But one wonders whether Bigelow would make that same accusation against the U.S. in WWII. That is a rhetorical question, to which we know the answer. For Zinn, the American war against the Nazis is also to be condemned. Bigelow, referring to Washington, writes that the general’s orders “are the orders of a war criminal.”

So to the Zinn group, it’s not just Harry Truman for dropping the atomic bomb on Japan or George W.Bush and Dick Cheney for leading us to war in Iraq who are war criminals, but our first commander-in-chief and all our leaders ad infinitum. I could go on…

Bigelow ends his article quoting the words of Frederick Douglass’ famous speech “The Meaning of July 4th for the Negro,” which indeed is depicted in D’Souza’s movie. But what D’Souza does is provide the context for Douglas’ speech, noting that he changed his view after meeting Lincoln, and worked to urge American blacks to work within and support the Republican Party, and to help realize the promise of America as stated in the Declaration of Independence. Zinn does not quote from the later portions of  Douglass’ speech, in which he tells his audience: “Allow me to say, in conclusion, notwithstanding the dark picture I have this day presented, of the state of the nation, I do not despair of this country. There are forces in operation which must inevitably work the downfall of slavery.”

So even then, while condemning the inconsistences of the American republic in sanctioning slavery while standing for freedom, Douglass told his audience that the 4th of July was still “the first great fact in your nation’s history — the very ringbolt in the chain of your yet undeveloped destiny.” Nor does Zinn have Danny Glover, who recited the speech in the TV special, add Douglass’ lines in which he said that “pride and patriotism…prompt you to celebrate and to hold it in perpetual remembrance,” and that the principles of the Declaration of Independence “are saving principles” to which all black Americans should stand, and should be “true to them on all occasions, in all places, against all foes, and at whatever cost.”

Douglass was not, as the Zinn project writer argues, telling Americans “to abandon the empty ‘shout of liberty and equality’…and to put away the fireworks and flags.” He was, indeed, urging Americans to live up to the principles of its birth as a nation, and give blacks the same freedoms due them as free Americans.

Today’s New York Times has an article by Lynn Vavreck reporting on a study that shows that “patriotism in America is on the decline.” Past generations, she writes, retain their faith in and love for America. It is younger generations for whom patriotism means much less. They begin their adulthood, she writes, “with much lower levels of fondness for the symbols of America,” such as the American flag. Ms. Vavreck believes that having less faith in our symbols means that the new generation, living in multicultural America, is simply developing a new patriotism, based on egalitarian principles. Where does Ms. Vavreck get that interpretation from?

I guess that we know this. After all, Ms. Vavreck, who seems to be of this new generation herself, is the product of an age when her peers were educated by Howard Zinn and his followers, who have come to believe that patriotism is passé, and that the start of wisdom is to view America as itself an evil nation, no different than our enemies, be it today or during the Second World War.

There is no better antidote than to take those you know to see Dinesh D’Souza’s America this 4th of July weekend. Someday they may thank you for it.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
I never fails. Every time a holiday rolls around, a left leaning publication has to post an article designed to "re-educate" us about the holiday, which usually turns into a bullet point laden essay on how you should feel like crap for celebrating such a stupid thing.
The progressives HATE that people in this country are happy and proud to be here, and they won't stop until we are as miserable and anti-American as they are.
Did anyone see Bill Ayers on the Kelly File'? He was spouting his propaganda to Megyn & Dinesh -- w/o being corrected by them. I'm still in shock that that lying terrorist called the Revolutionary War a 'bottoms up' war -- that is, a war started by people at the bottom of society. More of his lefty, class war fare 1% BS. I guess George Washington being one of the richest men in America at the time doesn't count. And if Franklin, Madison, Jefferson, Hamilton -- The Founding Fathers -- weren't upper class, who was?
--D’Souza’s arguments in his film, discredited by leftist reviewers in the most scathing terms possible--

You probably mean "attacked" as I doubt the reviewers managed to discredit him.
I've been trying for weeks to read Zinn's book. It's just SOOO bad. I'm fairly well educated in history and have read plenty of original documents, not just interpretations. Zinn leaves out absolutely everything that might refute his agenda. If that leaves him with no support at all, he then turns to a leftist historian to provide some of the most dreadfully biased and argumentative quotes you ever read. He repeatedly makes assertions that the facts, given correctly, do not support at all. The end result is the illusion of truth wrapped in drama and indignation, a very dangerous thing to launch upon impressionable children and teenagers.
my Aunty Makayla got an awesome 6 month old Mercedes C-Class C 63 MAG just by part-time work from a laptop. visit the site.
==========>>>>http://www.job-wiki.com/
Ron Radosh:
For that matter, I wouldn't trust anything Bostom says either.

Ron, I know it's off topic, but why not?
D'Souza is a phoney fifth columnist, making bank with his movies that cynically appeal to the "common man" while he lives the life of an elitist. Take your silly costumes and eastcoast elitism and go to jail where you belong Mr. D'Souza, we don't need you to tell us what America should be.
Actually we do. I found parts of the movie very informative. Certainly there was some stuff in there my college history classes somehow missed.
Climb back in the toilet, jeff bloom.
You are emitting a foul odor.
Saw the film today. Three things stood out; 1.) The utter vileness and evil of Alinsky. Watching clips of him and observing is sneering smugness, his cynical advocacy of mafia practices will churn the stomach and awaken one as to what we are facing en masse. 2.) The amazing clip of Bono, to see one of the elites actually get it. 3.) The realization that the take over of our institutions and the use of the power of the State to violate our laws, traditions and history is textbook Alinsky. I recommend the movie to all.
Those same things resonated with me as well. I urge everyone to see this movie. I thought I had a pretty strong grasp of American history, but I still learned things I didn't know. The liberal invective hurled at this movie is completely off the mark. From outright lies charging poor production quality and amateurish film making to deliberate distortion of the movie's message, the acolytes of the Left are doing everything to discourage attendance. Don't let them keep you away because you'll miss something well worth seeing.
Yeah, I heard them on NPR poo pooing the production and film quality. Bunch of wankers.
The left for a long time has wanted to destroy America by destroying the idea of America. With one of their own as President, and most of the liberal arts academy on their side, they may succeed.
D'Souza jumped the shark some time back. A much better antidote to Zinn is Paul Johnson's "History of the American People"

This time of year I'm always glad Independence Day is in July. Imagine what it would be if it was during the school year and teachers got the opportunity to "teach" it.
I was somewhat disappointed with the formatting of the Kelly File report on D'Sousa's America. To whit, D'sousa's acknowledgement to that foll Ayers that the Iraq war was a mistake. I would argue that it was not the war that was a mistake but the attempt to "rebuild" Iraq that was the costly mistake. I would argue the war was won in days, the effort to rebuild took almost a decade and was sabotaged by the Obama administration's pull-out. The impulse to "rebuild" I think was misguided and came from the Colin Powell's dictum loosely paraphrased as "We broke it, we fix it." I am of the opinion that our national position should be something like the following: "If you mess with us we will break it and fixing it will be your problem." Winning hearts and minds is a delusional, romantic pipe dream. As anyone with any sense knows, you cannot make make someone love you, especially if they are predisposed to resent you.
Destroying Iraq and leaving would simply be handing Iraq to Iran. I'm not sure that would have been a great idea.
Rubble doesnt cause trouble.
As it was fought, the Iraq War was a mistake.

I voted for Bush, I defended him against his Dem critics--and I'm sorry I did.

Because Bush and his Administration betrayed me and those who believed in him--and I'm not prepared to forgive him for it.

I'm not going to defend Rumsfeld's decision to invade Iraq with only one-third the force needed to keep the country pacified. I'm not going to defend Bush's decision to ignore the spreading violence until 2007, by which time IEDs had taken a very heavy toll of our troops.

Bush, you screwed it up.
You got a lot of our men and women killed unnecessarily, when a different policy would have reduced those numbers.

You want someone to defend you? Get somebody else.

I don't shill.
Really Mike--

If you watched Kelly's match up of D'sousa and Ayers, you would have
been more outraged than you were after the interview with Ayers.
D'sousa was not prepared and Ayers spouted his usual drivel.

Kelly and Dinesh didn't do their homework. Had they done 30 minutes
of research, they could have blown Ayers out of the water. When
Ayers was going on about not being proud of America because of our
committing genocide, all they had to do was ask: " Bill, you and your
group advocated a revolution turning the country over to Cuba, Vietnam,
Russia and China and it might take killing 25 million Americans to pull it
off. Genocide for me, Bill, but not for thee?"

You and I could have done a better job than Kelly and D'sousa.
Then again there could have been ground rules agreed to in the
Green Room, that turns these interviews into softball games.
She must have had them on twice because I remember D'sousa running Ayers into the ground.
Old hoss -
The non-debate debate was actually funny in one part: When Ayers said that al Maliki was going to be targeted by the US because he was 'brown'. D'sousa, who looks to be darker than al Maliki, was shocked into silence. It reminded me of when Juan Williams was attacked on TV by a blonde white professor at Occidental College who told Juan he didn't understand the problems of Blacks.
1 2 3 Next View All