Ron Radosh

Of course they are correct. How could a healthy 18- to 25-year-old part-timer (and many of them working want these part-time jobs as they go to college or train for a better and more fulfilling full-time job elsewhere) want a policy that will cost more, have higher deductibles, and make them pay for provisions in which they are not interested if given a choice to purchase or obtain a regular policy? In this case, one suspects that the union healthcare program in which they were previously enrolled was quite comprehensive, had a low deductible, and covered much, much more than they would ever get in a comparable Obamacare exchange.

In his devastating column today about the failure of Obamacare, Charles Krauthammer points out that “Obamacare renders illegal (with exceedingly narrow ‘grandfathered,’ exceptions) the continuation of any insurance plan deemed by Washington regulators not to meet their arbitrary standards for adequacy. Example: No maternity care? You are terminated.” He is writing about those large segments of our population who have received cancellation letters from insurance companies about their individually purchased insurance policies. But the point is the same — if those who lose employee health insurance they once had go into an exchange, they will be forced to purchase policies with provisions they do not need or want.  He adds: “most of the 19 million people with individual insurance will have to find new and likely more expensive coverage. And that doesn’t even include the additional millions who are sure to lose their employer-provided coverage.”

These are only two supermarket firms in the D.C. area. But their protest and threat of a strike bode ill for the Obama administration. The AFL-CIO and its affiliates were key administration allies and supporters of Obamacare from the get-go. Now that they see what it means for their members, they don’t like it one bit. Did it not occur to the union leadership that the program might just not be good and that it might deprive its members of policies they were used to and liked?

They, like all of us, have learned that there is no free lunch. The disaster that is Obamacare may now lead to a rupture in the Democratic-trade union alliance. Call it as Krauthammer does, “subterfuge,” “mendacity” or “liberal paternalism” — or call it, as I do, the failure of liberalism and liberal ideology. One way or the other, the model of the liberal welfare state’s ever expanding grasp is collapsing as we watch. Good riddance!

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

I wonder what kinds of insurance plans the union leadership have? Not the rank and file, but the leadership.
"One way or the other, the model of the liberal welfare state’s ever expanding grasp is collapsing as we watch."
Excuse me, but it is taking effect not collapsing. Obama, the least qualified man for the Presidency in history, easily won in two elections. What does that tell you about the American people? If the welfare state truly collapses it will come as a result of a wiser generation. The American people have to suffer more and overcome an inertia that comes with numbers and familiarity before they act in their own interest. It will be a long haul and it may not come about. We will know in the next few elections if the best thing in history turns into a third rate banana republic.
Thanks, Art. You saved me a lot of typing.
Is it really possible that so many people are so dumb?
I have had three young people, barely scraping by who are now working two 29 hr jobs, and their bennies have disappeared. One of them actually got through to the NYS exchange on day one. She called me crying. How can I ever pay for this? What is this $5,000 deductible thing? Is that like a copay?
I explained it to her, and I felt sick.
There was silence on the end of the phone. Then she said, "So, I have to work two jobs instead of one, have an insurance plan that I will never be able to use unless I am dying because of this "deductible" thing, and I will have to pay through the nose for a useless plan, so I am making less to do more work, and I still have no insurance that means anything."
I said, "I'm afraid that is indeed the situation."
The only other thing I told her was to let this be a lesson. Never vote for a Democrat. The Pubs may be stupid and nasty, but voting for the commies running the dems today is voting for your own execution.
I wonder just how many of her age and situation even know what a deductible is? Their lives have been spent in Mommy's HMO. All they've ever heard of is copays of a few dollars.
As usual, our speedy government is still writing policies like it was 1960. Can someone tell me how this is a step forward for anyone at all? Can noone do the simplest math, any more?
They have the government they deserve. And they deserve to get it, good and hard.
Too bad that those of us, who did not vote for this, also get the government "they" deserve, hmmmm?
“We want our regular employee health insurance. We don’t want to be forced onto the Obamacare exchanges.”

They were happy to force me onto Obamacare, over my strong objections.

Why should I now care about them?
Well said, pst.
But their union pull may get them a Royal Dispensation, I meant waiver.
Yeah. Something about elections having consequences comes to mind. Those union pukes voted for the Demoncraps and they should get what they voted for, good and hard.
I guarantee those workers will vote democrat next November. They're not working part-time at a grocery store because they're smart; and not one in 5 can even name their Senators or Congressperson.

The democrats' base is the ignorant and the stupid. As much as I hope they're right, I'm afraid conservatives are vastly overestimating the negative impact Obamacare will have on democrats in 2014.
Now why did they picket in their workplace's front yard instead of in front of the White House or Senate?
"These Giant and Safeway workers are among that group. And they don’t like what they are faced with."

Well why don't they march on the White House then? It's not even that far away. They can throw spoiled food over the fence.
F those Safeway, GIANT employees. Like the government, public sector unions should have been streamlined, redefined long ago.

Shoot we see these public sector morons cheering at Teleprompter Jesus revivals like it's the Van Halen Us Festival/ Hide Your Sheep Tour! Freakin buffoons.

There are so many blue collar lite, white collared public sector unions at present time whom rarely or NEVER turn a profit. Though stay afloat due to political kickbacks.. Disgusting stuff.

I've NEVER heard of good results from grocery store employees striking. It's always resulted in same-o same-o or worse conditions prior to their strike!

These unions either have the worst lawyers or the top unionistas give 2 chits about their underlings. As long as those dues are deducted..

Mr. Radosh, stop frequenting those stores and go to Whole Foods and/ or coops instead.
Stop & Shop workers may strike over health benefits: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20131030/BUSINESS/310300025
The American people have an approaching rendezvous with external reality. They will receive what they deserve.
This was intended as a reply to Hmastercylinder below:
I wonder if the young lady will translate her sadness into action? Historical and personal experience suggest she will not, and probably will continue to believe in the immaculate conception of Obama. It is a common reaction. Russians under Stalin would blame their misfortunes on the bureaucracy rather than Stalin. "If only Stalin knew" he would but an end to the mis-justice was a common view even among those who should known better. Many Germans had the same attitude towards Hitler's persecutions. I suspect that most of the pain caused by Obamacare will be rationalized by the people who voted for him and they will continue believing in Obama and voting for the Dems. Most people would rather lose their money and health than their self-esteem. If you suffer it feels good to tell yourself that you are suffering for something rather than just being played for a sucker.

In short, this generation, and maybe the US, is lost. I hope I am wrong but I see absolutely no evidence of it. The arguments presented above are all rational. Rationally did not get Obama elected twice, therefore its importance should be discounted in favor of the emotional needs of the immature and incomplete.
In other news, The Atlantic is openly talking about the need to trashcan the Constitution and start over:

www.theatlantic DOT com/politics/archive/2013/11/the-us-needs-a-constitution-heres-how-to-write-it/281090/

And CNN is openly promoting pansexual polyamory:

www.cnn DOT com/2013/10/26/living/relationships-polyamory/index.html?iref=allsearch

Our society is disintegrating. We're seeing a culture shift akin to what took place in Germany in the 30's.
More like Berlin before it was destroyed - wild parties just before annihilation.
Survival of the fittest. Is America fit to survive?
If the progressives don't prevail the muslims will. There seems to be a shortage of logical thinking in our country. The blame will be put on the GOP or other external forces. Wait a few weeks - Zero will let us know who is really to blame in an upcoming speech.

I prefer the muslims to the progressives. There is a chance of redeeming believers, but not unbelievers.
Paleo, I don't think so both groups on their own are non-functional, they distain the work that results in food and fuel.
1 2 Next View All