Ron Radosh

President Obama’s statement was hardly memorable. But if the DOJ decides to suddenly indict Zimmerman for racial hate crimes and to come up with new “evidence” it somehow failed to find earlier, it will only be because it is once again surrendering to public outcries from the civil rights establishment. At that moment, Barack Obama could come up with his own Sister Souljah moment, and inform the public that the jury verdict must be respected, and that no reason exists to mount another trial on spurious grounds.  Or, he could tell his attorney general to stop wasting taxpayer money by fielding yet another investigation to try to prove a racial motive for Zimmerman’s pursuit of Trayvon Martin.

Let me end by saying that because George Zimmerman was found not guilty and the jury believed the prosecution had not proved the charge of second degree murder beyond reasonable doubt does not mean that Zimmerman is a hero or a role model. He should have listened to the advice of the dispatcher, gone back to his car, and not followed Martin as he was walking back home. He acted precipitously and foolishly, and the entire tragic episode could have been avoided. But once Trayvon Martin accosted him and the struggle ensued, Zimmerman reached for his gun when he believed his life was in danger. One might also have wished that young Martin had simply told Zimmerman he was going back to his father who was in a unit in the development, and not decided to engage in a fight with a man he thought was harassing him.

The outcome is what makes this a tragedy. I sympathize with the Martin family at the loss of their son, and I understand their anger at the verdict and their feeling that, in their eyes, justice was not served. But I have none for those who are seeking to use this tragedy to bolster their own worn-out credentials as civil rights leaders, and who use their so-called authority to create anger and a mob sentiment among the African-American community.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

How disappointing.

"He should have listened to the advice of the dispatcher, gone back to his car, and not followed Martin as he was walking back home."

Ron, why did you throw in that piece of non-factual nonsense? It absolutely destroys the value of the balance of your commentary. It seems that some of us can simply not resist the pressure to seem "fair" by casting doubt on a good and honest citizen who acted appropriately to save his life from the actions of a pathetic young thug.
I'd have more sympathy for the Martin family if they'd come to grips with the fact the didn't raise their kid properly and accept some of the blame for his value system, rather than doing the usual and foisting the whole thing onto the entirety of white America through a racial Hispanic proxy. That tells me they don't themselves even know the difference between right and wrong, just us and them, identity, not principle.

Why were they not monitoring his Facebook, Tweets and cell phone? Were they aware he was an amateur burglar, fence, weapons traders, drug dealer and user and street fighter? What chance does any kid have for a good life who's doing that stuff? Did they never teach him not to use the word "nigga" or "cracka" to describe human beings? It wasn't fate or chance or Zimmerman that put that kid in harm's way but Martin himself and his parents, all three of whom had the ability to make free choices for their path in life and determined what it is they value. Martin valued crap and crap is what he ended up with.

Sharpton and his bunch are in complete denial about the nature of black youth culture and also to the extent their own hate speech only makes it worse. In the end, it's black folks who'll take the lion's share of punishment for their values, not me, just as I am responsible for the stupid decisions I make in my own life, not untold millions in other cities and states.
do think you err in this: "Let me end by saying that because George Zimmerman was found not guilty, and that the Jury believed the prosecution had not proved the charge of second degree murder beyond reasonable doubt, does not mean that Zimmerman is a hero or a role model. He should have listened to the advice of the dispatcher, gone back to his car, and not followed Martin as he was walking back home. He acted precipitously and foolishly, and the entire tragic episode could have been avoided....."

I believe the record is clear that GZ was heading back to his truck when he was attacked by Trayvon. There are ample maps of the incident which establish this.
Well, it's pretty obvious to me that there was indeed a racial profiling in this case and an assault based on race. The witness testimony and forensics support that fact.

I'm talking about Martin attacking Zimmerman, of course. Martin used racial epithats before the attack and clearly believed that Zimmerman was white. No such evidence like that exists relative to Zimmerman but Martin is clearly guilty. Further investigation would no doubt uncover other similar instances on the part of Martin.

So do your job, DOJ. Go get the racist little bugger.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
-- John Steinbeck

I have a simple rule: assault me and I'll kill you.

As an older guy who makes a practice of never going anywhere unarmed, I can make that rule stick. It's based upon a simple calculus, you see: my life > the life of a thug.
Dear Mr. Radosh, Zimmerman acted in an appropriate manner when he was told "We don't need you to follow him" which was followed by two instances of the dispatcher asking what Martin was doing. Did this imply to Zimmerman that it was his choice? But, let's be clear. He was never told to NOT follow him.

You state Zimmerman acted precipitously and foolishly and it was preventable. Out of respect for the the young man who died and his family, few have questioned the actions of Martin that directly led to his death. Martin attacked Zimmerman when he had ample opportunity to simply go home over the 4 minutes it took while he ran. Martin decided to return and confront the "Creepy-ass Cracka" Zimmerman with an ambush. The person who wanted a confrontation was Martin, he started one, and is now dead as a esult.

Those who wanted Zimmerman's charges reinstated and a trial to seek justice got it. The justice that Trayvon's supporters wanted, was not the emotional satisfaction they thought the jury would provide. So now they act out.

It is sad that a 17 year old is dead, but Martin's actions and poor decisions that night created a situation that could have ended differently. He apparently wanted a fight, and that led to his own demise.
A slap in the face to those that believe in mob rule by black agitators in this country.
Trayvon Martin was a thug, nothing more, nothing less. The parents of young black males need to pull their heads from the smelly place, put Jesse Jackson and Crown Heights Sharpton in a deep, deep hole and cover it up, then raise their kids in a real home with mother and father married.

Not every kid would turn out perfect if they took my advice. But a ton of them would turn out a hell of a lot better than what the ghetto culture is producing now.
See? All of this confuses me so much. I was told always to walk assertively and with purpose to avoid being attacked. But now, this incident has brought out a whole new set of lessons. Now I am being told that I must walk meekly and never, ever follow a young, African-American male lest he think I am trying to attack him. If I do anything else, I invite attack.

So, I guess I might as well convert to Islam, don the full burka and never leave my house again seeing as how I can't walk assertively without inviting assault and I can't walk meekly without inviting assault.

This is all completely ridiculous, and it's time we stood up to the race baiters and the African-American community and tell them frankly that the problems of their young men are not of our making.
There are large swaths of black people who more obsessed with hating white people than creating a better future for their children. Blacks have allowed themselves to be manipulated for decades - at their own expense! And the Civil Rights leaders and the bourgeois marxists (media, academia, etc.) have been laughing all the way to the bank. This continues because most white people have white guilt and thus allow themselves to be shaken down - at their own expense! All this despite American blacks being the freest, wealthiest, most prosperous black on the planet and in the history of the world.

If I were Zimmerman and anyone who is injured by the racial hatred unleashed, I would sue for hundreds of millions of $: Eric Holder, Obama, Clinton, all the major news (print and tv) outlets, the NAACP, the CBC, Sharpton, Jackson, entertainers, and anybody else who are stoking the flames of hatred. For once I'd like to seem the socialist and racist be, for one, held accountable for their actions. Libertarians and conservatives are too damned nice and soft. That's why they have been losing for decades. The best defense is a good offense. Take the battle to the enemy and own them. Don't let these people keep getting away with it.
Ron:

Memes run deep.

George Zimmerman was already out of his car when he made the call to the non emergency police dispatcher, not 911. When the dispatcher told him "you don't need to do that" he reversed course and began to return to his car. The dispatcher was not a police officer and could not order Zimmerman to do anything. It's in her testimony. It was then that Martin intercepted him and the altercation occurred. It's hard enough dealing with this false narrative when it comes from the race baiters so lets not give it credibility by repeating it.

Now thanks to Piers Morgan, Rachel Jeantel has revealed the reason why Martin returned to attack Zimmerman. He believed he being followed by a gay man. Martin's attack was an anti-gay hate crime.
REVENGE is the only emotion Holder, Obama, Jackson, Sharpton, and the media are after.
The people that get suckered into this are seriously pathetic.
They are all being used for the benefit of these political agitators, and used as a distraction from the more important issues disabling this country and it's people.

When are these people going to wake up to the fact that these race agitators are appealing to their "gang mentality"?
To all my critics, please read the following important article by Slate's William Saletan. He argues that Trayvon Martin was profiling and misreading Zimmerman; but that Zimmerman too made major steps that could have avoided the conflict. On the main point, he agrees, writing the following:
"In court, evidence and scrutiny have exposed these difficult, complicated truths. But outside the court, ideologues are ignoring them. They’re oversimplifying a tragedy that was caused by oversimplification. Martin has become Emmett Till. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is using the verdict to attack Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which wasn’t invoked in this case. The grievance industrial complex is pushing the Department of Justice to prosecute Zimmerman for bias-motivated killing, based on evidence that didn’t even support a conviction for unpremeditated killing. Zimmerman’s lawyers have teamed up with members of the Congressional Black Caucus, inadvertently, to promote the false message that Zimmerman’s acquittal means our society thinks everything he did was OK.:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2013/07/trayvon_martin_verdict_racism_hate_crimes_prosecution_and_other_overreactions.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=sm&utm_campaign=button_toolbarHere's the link to his article:
Ron, I did read it yesterday and I was pleased to see that Saletan took an entire day, maybe more, to review the trial before just dropping propaganda bombs like so many others. However, even at that Saletan seems to have gotten a few things wrong.
What I don't like is the tendency to want to assign more culpability to Zimmerman than the facts would support. I would contend that hindsight is 20:20 and Zimmerman's decisions were entirely reasonable at the time he made them, Did he have other options? Maybe. Did those options appear to be the best at the time he made them? Did those options even occur to him at the moment? Who knows? It's very probable he would not agree even to this day. There is nothing like being there.
Further, in you post, intended or not, is an implicit surrender to the circumstance Zimmerman found himself in. I know I, having seen someone in my neighborhood looking suspicious, would not have done anything Zimmerman did. I would not have gotten out of the truck, I would not have followed the person and I would not have called 911.
I am glad there are the George Zimmerman's that will! Because I don't have the ability.
Several years ago I lived in a nice neighborhood, nothing special, just pleasant. My wife an I spotted gang activity and sign a couple blocks away while walking. I did a little research on the sign and realized it was maybe more than the punks in High School living out a little teenage driven fantasy. I wrote my city councilman and the Chief of Police about my concerns and asked that they investigate. They did, and wrote back thanking me for the report and taking the time to write. My councilman, the person representing me in the city, and making decisions as to how my tax money was spent locally, let me know that as far as he was concerned a little gang-banger activity is to be expected. It happens, was his attitude.
I wrote back and explained that I didn't agree and that if what I saw occurring in my lower middle class neighborhood were to happen in his upper middle class neighborhood there would probably be for more concern on his part. He wrote back and came just short of calling me racist.
I no longer live there.
I will not tolerate an attitude of surrender to the thugs, whether they be involved in crime or involved in government.
I will repeat two posts I made at the firearms blog "The Truth About Guns" yesterday and today.

First post simply references a Matt Lewis article:

Matt Lewis has a thoughtful piece of the effect of the Zimmerman case on community cohesion. I recommend reading it without further comment.

After digesting Lewis's piece I penned the following.

Having slept on this question overnight I have come realize that it is the wrong question. The real question is who owns the streets? Everyman or the punks? The “Justice for Trayvon” crowd does everything it can to avoid facing who Trayvon Martin was. We know he was a punk because he left a record of it. On the night of his death Martin may not have been a threat to anyone. He just went out to get the ingredients for a concoction to get high. On another night he may have gone out to cause mayhem. The facts in evidence show us that he could have gotten home before Zimmerman got to him. He could have explained himself if Zimmerman asked him who he was. Instead he chose to be a punk and attack the “cracka” because he felt disrespected.

George Zimmerman is Everyman. He goes about his day to day business, cares about other people and his community. His life demonstrates that he was a good citizen.

I hear a lot talk from the small government folks about how the police are too many and too militarized. Well if you want a smaller, less militarized force than citizens have to step up to give a street presence that keeps crime in check. That is what neighborhood watches are all about. If you are out on the streets then you always face the possibility that bad guy you spot won’t run away but will come after you. Zimmerman did not get out of his truck thinking that “I am going to get into fight for my life” but it turned into that. Liberty is not about getting high if you want to, have sex when you want or “getting the government out of marriage. It is about taking responsibility for you community so the government doesn’t have to. Taking that responsibility involves risk. Frankly, I would much prefer George Zimmerman for a neighbor than many of the self-proclaimed Libertarians who post here. George Zimmerman may have voted Democratic but he embodies more of the Libertarian spirit than many who call themselves by that name.

Remember, “You sleep peacefully in your beds at night because of the rough men who guard the City’s gates.” You want fewer rough men then be prepared to take their place at the gate. That is a risky proposition and that is why there are more people who talk the talk than walk the walk.

I like Saletan's article but he is arguing from false premises.
By all means we should avoid conflict with thugs. Its a strategy that works over time and gives moral superiority to those who adopt it. Tell that to the six million Jews that were exterminated by the Nazi regime. You, the dead, are morally superior to the ones who killed you. I'm sure that gives them great consolation.

And no mention ever seems to be given to the toll thug's work burns into the souls of their victims. And it spreads. My father fought in WWII. His unit liberated one of the Nazi death camps. He wouldn't talk about it. But one thing I do remember is that apparently after that he never could stand the smell of ashes from a BBQ pit. It would make him throw up.

Little Trayvon was a thug. Society is much better off since he has been drop-kicked out of it. Pretending otherwise is nothing more than to buy into an ugly and poisonous narrative. And if one is afraid to speak the truth because the magic curse of "racist" might be thrown upon you, then you richly deserve whatever consequences might flow from your "moral superiority."
Let me remind you, that the right to self defense was chipped away by well meaning folks in the UK, along with far Left Marxists. It hasnt improved the safety and well being of anybody by violent gang members and hardened criminals.
anybody but
I have no problem with anything that Zimmerman did (to the best of my knowledge). His actions were OK.

As were this fellows...

Jury Finds Roderick Scott Not Guilty

Please, Mr. Radosh;
Zimmerman was authorized by his homeowners association to perform the duties he was involved in.
Zimmerman could have approached Martin to verify his reason for being there at that time, but WAS complying with the dispatchers advice, even though he was not required to do so.
Zimmerman failed to inform the 911 dispatcher he was a member of the neighborhood crime watch.
If it weren't for a side arm that Zimmerman LEGALLY had, Martin would have been the criminal for assault and battery, at least, and probably murder.

Don't let yourself become a victim to the race agitators and media agitators. They both have an economic and commercial interest to keep these flames burning.
1 2 3 Next View All