Roger L. Simon

College: The Sixty-Five Thousand Dollar Misunderstanding

April 16th, 2014 - 10:02 pm

But maybe I’m just in a bad mood, influenced by the news that UCLA — evidently the last of the holdouts — no longer requires the study of Shakespeare, Milton or Chaucer for English majors.  What are our college students required to study, other than how many genders can fit on the head of a pin?  I doubt it’s the First Amendment, given recent totalitarian events at Brandeis and now the University of  Minnesota where the faculty is protesting the appearance of Condeleezza Rice. (There the august professors are standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Reverend Jeremiah Wright, who, as I recall, didn’t care much for Condoskeeza [sic]  Rice either.)

I hope Glenn Reynolds is right when he says the bubble will burst soon. I don’t want anymore sixty-five thousand dollar misunderstandings.

Meanwhile, read The College Fix.  You will see there are actually some students who get they are being had.  If anyone will save us, they will.

(Artwork based on a modified Shutterstock.com photo.)

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

56 genders in 57 states, America is "transforming" by exploding Math Labs.

Can a 36 sexually harass a 41? How? If an 18 dates a 42 and they have a love child is it more likely to be a 30 or does it become a 60?

And I really am not sure what happens when we mutate all the way to a 69.

If I feel like a 27 today, do I pee standing up, sitting down or do I left a leg over a fire hydrant?

I guess paying $65k to learn about genders that don't exist, global warming that doesn't exist, checks and balances that don't exist and a Constitution that does not exist prepares one well for jobs that don't exist.

Democrats are going to have to ask their propagandist lapdogs to start airing stories about the Republican War on 53's. And how Southern Christian heterosexual males are 40phobic.

If I ride the crowded train to work, do I get up to give my seat to a 17?

Chivalry is not dead...it's simply terribly confused.

Or following Pajama Boy Nation into a ridiculous leftist fantasmia and bothering to try to react to it as if it makes a lick of sense...is worse than futile for a guy like me. In fact, it makes me feel..."triggered".
I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently [in modern day "liberal arts"/"social sciences"] to reason incorrectly. - Michel de Montaigne

Education is [now] the process of driving a set of prejudices down your throats. - Martin H. Fischer

Intelligence appears to be the thing that enables a man to get along without education. Education enables a man to get along without the use of intelligence. - Albert Edward Wiggam
"I apologize for joking around even a little bit, because I think the nature of our higher education is the most dangerous phenomenon in our society today, worse even than the media and Hollywood and considerably more monolithic than either of those two."

If a man is a fool, you don't train him out of being a fool by sending him to university. You merely turn him into a trained fool, ten times more dangerous. - Desmond Bagley
Reynolds stresses organizational dysfunction. He rarely touches on the fundamental intellectual / moral disease at the heart of our entire education gulag. And I call it a gulag because it is primarily a prison / propaganda system that even the keepers do not believe in. It's all empty words for pay on the part of the keepers.

There are the good Marxist professors who insist on living like haute bourgeois demanding all of the deference accorded to ancien regime aristocrats.

And there are the good libertarian professors who live the haute bourgeois life in big government institutions based on other people's taxes and indentured young people's futures.

Neither are capable of seeing a conflict between what they teach and how they live.

Both are frauds who refuse to live what they claim to believe in. In fact, American academics in general would be shocked and insulted at the idea of actually living what they profess as truth. Their profession is a mere word game for pay. The more abstruse and silly the better. It's easy to extrapolate from here how all of the PC foolishness and popular neurotic campus isms came to be.

Students are not stupid and young people have acutely sensitive b ull s hit detectors. They very quickly pick up the fact that their teachers are lying to them. The main thing they learn in college is that it's all a fraud for money. Nobody believes what they say, but it's the right thing to say to get ahead.

Students immediately learn fraud and hypocrisy pay off and are the basis of educated American society.

The main problem with higher ed will not be corrected with a new organization chart or on line classes. It will take something much more serious and real and profound.
Forget American academics. Academics themselves and education in itself is bad and a rot. Heck, just look at Jean-Paul Sartre, for example: Very smart guy, consumed his own library, actually passed among the top of his university, if not THE top of the university (its debated whether Simone de Beauvoir or Jean Paul Sartre was on top) in his Philosophy major (which definitely no simple task as the French education system/French University system is effectively a death course), and yet he easily fell for Communism, Socialism, he even praised Che Guevara as "the most complete human being of our time" even though objectively he's closer to the most complete monster of our time. Has been bad since at least Rousseau, maybe Voltaire as well.
And had no moral character whatsoever. Your statement about who was on top has more than one meaning. In fact, he got Simone to pimp young students for him. (At least they were female.) Of course, Rousseau was worse.

Israel is pretty horrific also, although our technical degrees are very worthwhile.
No doubt that Americans and their leaders have become the most disgusting nation on the face of the world.
Not really. Certainly Iran, N Korea, and Cuba are immensly worse, as are many other nations. The main problem with America now is we have gotten disgusting compared to what we once were, what we should be, and what we could be again, thanks to the leftist takeover of key institutions.
Oh, go make wee-wee up a rope!

Is there any chance I can declare myself to be a killer virus that will infect everyone if the government doesn't give me a zillion dollars so I can go away from the bay area and be left alone and not hear about this horsesh*t ever again?
The latest in a sorry list, some more obvious than others, of industries or service lines that have found a way to jack up prices with no more explanation than our costs went up. Try figuring out what the cost drivers are. When costs go up I always want to know what's driving them.

I remember paying for my first semester at college, just the courses and fees, $103, $25/mo for room and worked waiting tables at a relatives boarding house for meals. I understand prices have gone up but just like healthcare, they've gone up way more that expected. I suspect I know the reasons but I'd like to know for sure.
My son is a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Idaho. The college of Engineering at U of I is ranked in the top 50 programs in the country and top 10 for value. I paid approximately $13,000 to send him there this year, Books, tuition, fees, Room and Board all in. He provides his own spending money and did receive a total of $2500 in academic scholarships.

If our economy doesn't collapse by the time he graduates, he will most likely enter the workforce three and a half years from now in the 70K to 80K range at the age of 22. (I was well in to my thirties before I made that kind of money, but then again, I don't have a degree and had to work hard and smart to achieve a very comfortable upper middle class income.)

Parents have to get engaged in understanding what the colleges and universities they are sending their kids to are actually up to. Those who, like me, are fortunate enough to be able to pay the full cost on our own need to stop paying for their kids to get worthless degrees that will leave them ill equipped to compete in the real world.

Finally, we all need to understand that state universities are perfectly fine places to get degrees and that the pedigree of an Ivy league education has diminished significantly over the past several decades.

All else being equal, I will hire the U of I student ahead of any Ivy league student 100% of the time - more of us who hire college graduates need to reward those institutions who are still focused on real education and punish those who see our children as young skulls full of mush who can be indoctrinated in to the prog-leftist mind think.
I have a family member with a non-faculty position at an expensive liberal arts college. Even the staff at this college 1) openly express worry at feeling "tainted" by accepting money from conservatives and 2) speak approvingly of their perception that the college students are "rebelling" against their conservative parents. Most (not all, but the only ones comfortable speaking openly) working at these schools are not grateful for what you pay in tuition if you happen to have the wrong opinions and are delighted to drive wedges between you and your young adult children. Starve them financially, please.
When I was teaching junior high, there was this girl named Maurine in one of my classes. But she wanted to be a boy, or thought she was a boy, and she insisted on being called Moe. And she demanded to use the boy's restroom.

The principal acquiesced and allowed her to use the boy's restroom, but he made a compromise. When she needed to go to the boys restroom, a teacher had to accompany her, make sure the restroom was clear, and stand outside the door to prevent any boys from using the restroom while she was in there.

That was in the 80s.

The decline in education began when Stanford dropped the Great Books program in the 70s. It's been downhill ever since, what with new math, whole language, and so on.

When I went to school, it was hard. Phonics, spelling, vocabulary, parts of speech, usage, grammar, punctuation, sentence diagramming, and that was just in English. We read actual books. Math and science were just as hard.

But you can't get an education like that today, not in any public school. And apparently not at any public university. This is why people with means send their children to private schools and universities. It costs a lot of money, a couple of hundred thousand dollars, but it's worth it for your child to receive a proper education and become successful.

Most people don't have that kind of money, so increasingly more of them are choosing home schooling.

Removing any lingering doubt that we have jumped the shark.

Thankfully there aren't any larger pressing issues that universities should be more concerned about ... oh, wait, there are. And the absurdly pampered fools in our institutions of "higher learning" will be incredibly unprepared for the world outside their little Cloud- Cuckoo- Lands on campus.
they all think that they will teach and never leave the ivory tower.

surprise!
Speaking of those stubborn"...hetero-patriarchal DNA strands."...How ever you designate yourself or however you medically alter your body in "sex change" procedures, chromosomally you're STILL either XX (female) or XY (male).
Back in the day, when your mental map didn't line up with physical reality, we called that mental illness and treated it.

Germany, Nepal, India, Pakistan (!) Australia...reportedly offer a "third gender" designation on birth certificates and Sweden has "...instituted a more vernacular solution to the gender dichotomy with"hen," a third-gender pronoun. The term was recently added to the Swedish National Encyclopedia as an alternative to masculine "han" or feminine "hon."

ASIF officialdom could make it all so.
"The French government recently declared the "transgendered" an official third gender."

Doesn't surprise me, when education was at the very least redone wholesale, if not created by Rousseau and Voltaire, not to mention idiots like Jean-Paul Sartre actually managed to graduate top of the class in the University System, despite their being death courses.
An American would take offense at being categorized "hen"...hen-pecked, hen parties...definitely doesn't work.
1 2 3 Next View All