Roger L. Simon

Legal Weed? Governor Moonbeam Grows Up

March 5th, 2014 - 9:03 pm

Not only that, you are contributing to a creepy zeitgeist that has led to, according to an L.A. Times report Wednesday, a group of third graders being caught smoking marijuana in the grammar school bathroom up in California’s Tuolomne County. Third graders?

Look, I don’t think people should go to jail for possession or even sale of limited amounts of grass. But we should be very aware of what we are getting into. It’s not all “Puff, the Magic Dragon-Kumbaya-pass-the-Fritos.” I actually sympathize with Jerry’s reluctance to jump on the bandwagon with Colorado and Washington and legalize pot in America’s most populous state. Just thinking of the bureaucracy that would entail makes my head spin. The California Marijuana Control Board would end up the size of the Pentagon.

Perhaps the solution is to do what was recently suggested by venture capitalist Timothy Draper and break California into six states. I’m for that, if only for the fun of naming them. West Los Angeles, Santa Monica and Malibu could be “Katzenberg,” the Bay Area “Pelosia,” and the northern counties, of course, “Weedistan.”

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

Marijuana use and possession has been de facto legal in Alaska since the '70s. It was de jure legal to privately possess up to four ounces and to use from 1975 to 1990, when possession was recriminalized by citizen initiative. The Court of Appeals and the Superior Court for the First District (Southeast Alaska) have held that the Alaska Constitution's explicit privacy protections trump the citizens' initiative, so the state of the law is that you have to send the cops an invitation and provide hors d'ouevres if you want to be arrested for pot, though they will charge you for growing or for possessing large quantities as well as tacking it on if you are arrested for another crime while using or possessing. It is in common use from middle school on up, easy and cheap to get, and far less regulated than either alcohol or tobacco.

The ready availability of pot has created an underclass of low-wage, low-skill workers who can only work in places that don't drug test. Alaska, like most Left Coast states have very expensive workers' compensation insurance. In occupations were there is an significant danger of accidents and injuries, an employer simply MUST have pre-employment and safety incident drug-testing. More dangerous businesses also have random testing. Most truck driving and operation of other motorized equipment also entails pre-employment, incident, and random drug testing. Almost all the lucrative oil industry and mining jobs require a background check, pre-employment, safety incident, and random drug testing. Consequently, if you're going to have a good-paying private sector job, you can't smoke pot even if it is de facto legal. The drug of choice for those who have a job that drug tests and who simply must get high is here called "Spice" and since its ingredients are rather ad hoc, there isn't effective testing - yet.

Like most energy producing states, Alaska has very low unemploiyment and there should be strong upward pressure on entry/low-skill wages but there isn't except where drug testing is required. Drug testing keeps a large cluster of workers at or very near the minimum wage in food service, most retail, and other low-skill, low-danger jobs. Employers don't have to pay more because they could hire somebody at 8 AM, fire him at 10 AM and have his replacement on the job after lunch. You'll see the same thing happen in Colorado and Washington and in other states that actually or effectively legalize marijuana.
A most horrible thing happened to me when I became a young adult. I was forced to become a responsible adult! If you can possibly imagine this, I actually had to make my living working in an environment where being hallucinated (or drunk) even part of the time could cost you your job if not your life.

For years I employed mostly young men for the purpose of doing heavy and often rather dangerous construction work. I did this during the decades when weed seemed to be the central focus of much of youthful aspiration. Finding new hires to fill the responsible role that was needed for the work we accomplished on a daily basis was not easy for a great many reasons, with the avoidance of potheads being at the top of the list.

On one particular occasion I let my guard down. I hired the son of an acquaintance since he seemed to be a nice young man and I thought well of his father. Fact was that he was a pothead. This fact became painfully apparent in short order when he nearly killed himself by performing an act so outrageously stupid on a jobsite that it seemed almost unbelievable. It seems that he had a few tokes before arriving for work and that apparently the notion of walking across a non-existent roof while 20 feet in the air and above a concrete deck seemed like a good idea to his drug addled brain. Fortunately for me and my company the hospital tests proved his state of being at the time of his “accident” and we never heard from his or his parent’s lawyer.

Personally, I have nothing but contempt for those of you who are perpetual children and need to be soothed by a narcotic substance just as you did when you needed the pacifier mommy stuck in your mouth when you were still in diapers. Legal marijuana. I hope you choke on the damn stuff. In my world you had to become a man and face the test of life as one or fail. “Potheads are blockheads” ….. Right on, Mr. Simon!

(show less)
Every argument you've made against the use of pot can be made against the use of alcohol.

Either adults are free to choose their own intoxicants, or they aren't. Either we are free or we are not.
I don't even understand why anyone cares anymore if it's legal. The federal government has loosened it's hold or has become distracted enough where you can buy weed [or very similar] online ANYWHERE. The future is here no matter what they say. Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me: http://sell.comule.com/legalbud
Weedistan.

That's priceless....
I hate marijuana. I think it erodes the moral base of our society, I think it makes people unfit for jobs and limits them to low-income (due to low physical risk and hence no need for drug testing) jobs.

That said, I think it's pretty ridiculous that the government tells us what we can have in our pockets. And nowadays, I think we have more danger from overreaching government putting its noses into our lives than we do from potheads.

As long as we make laws that make people liable for their behavior, if they decide to limit themselves to working as janitors at McDonald's or Wal-Mart or scrubbing toilets for a motel, it's their right to live their lives in an irresponsible manner, and I'd rather not have the government involved to the maximum extent possible.
Plenty of weed smoking uber successful people out there...........you just have not floated in those circles....
Howdy CM
A very reasonable summary of a libertarian position on most issues.
I typed "the libertarian position" first but libertarians have a range of views on issues as do conservatives or "progressives." Each group's views cluster around certain positions but vary.
Don't 'The People' get to decide??
As a former kalifornian, I love the name pelosia. That's a good one. Thanks. I hope things keep going the way they are in KA, eventually family and friends will have their fill of the foolishness and move the hell away from that "black hole" that continues to suck the very life out of it's residents.
It is the responsibility of each parent to teach their kids that abusing any drug can harm you, especially big pharma. I'm tired of the nanny state constantly intruding in our everyday lives.
Not sure I care much either way.

There ARE people I would like to see prevented from engaging in a bong-a-thon before I engage their services:

1)My airline pilot

2) My barber

3) School teachers of children

4) My hunting partner

5) My tour guide on safari

6) Anyone serving me food that is not wrapped or otherwise unable to be sampled

7) Mike Bloomberg visiting me in my state while I am drinking a 64 oz soda

8) The Frito Bandito (who also likes Doritos and Cheetos)

9) The DMV employee who hands out numbers for non-appointments

10) The Obama czar in charge of drone missiles against Americans that Obama doesn't like

I suppose we should have a new edition written for leftists and other anarchists, after the Old Testament, The New Testament....we can have the Detestament.

Changing bong water into whine would be one of the first miracles.

Loaves and fishes would become all you can eat sprouts and tofurkey.

Jerry Brown so high, someone would carry Moonbeam home in a jar....California, it may be completely bankrupt fiscally and morally, but it's entertaining.

No one has yet written about this major fact: Smoke drifting from a lit toke (or whatever it is called) is just as toxic to ANYONE in the vicinity of the smoker, as to the smoker. I do NOT want my state of mind altered in any way unless I choose to do so.
God of Israel “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16
Several States in the American Union have legalized the recreational use of marijuana even with studies that state that this drug leads to the use of even more dangerous addictions. How safe is your life, liberty and property if your neighbors are intoxicated, doped up, and mentally impaired, and being so addicted, they are dependent upon the State’s permission to feed their habit. Certainly, their vote, a delegation of sovereign authority, will be used to raise up and maintain wicked magistrates who will be more than happy to support a voters dangerous addictions while conspiring to rob every citizen of everything valuable. Vattel in ‘The Law of Nations’ writes, ” But if they (public magistrates) corrupt the morals of the people, spread a taste for luxury, effeminacy, a rage for licentious pleasures…beware, citizens! beware of those corruptors! they only aim at purchasing slaves in order to exercise over them an arbitrary sway.” The foundation of democracy is virtue. The virtue of the people is the internal law that results in good behavior which is the requirement of self-government in a federal republic. However, if the people become corrupted, we as nation go from self-government to “survival of the fittest,” from a democracy to a mobocracy, and from the mob a strong man must rise who is called a dictator
Vattel “It is an incontestable truth, that the virtues of the citizens constitute the most happy dispositions that can be desired by a just and wise government.

God of Israel “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16
Example
David Hardy 'Juror Testimony' transcript “he felt like...the jury was on one big party...seven jurors drank alcohol....Hardy stated that on several occasions he observed two jurors having one or two mixed drinks during the lunch recess, and one other juror, who was also the foreperson, having a liter of wine...three other jurors smoked marijuana quite regularly during the trial. Moreover, Hardy stated that during the trail he observed one juror ingest cocaine five times and another juror ingest cocaine two or three times. One juror sold a quarter pound of marijuana to another juror during the trial, and took marijuana, cocaine, and drug paraphernalia into the courthouse. Hardy noted that some of the jurors were falling asleep during trial, and that one of the jurors described himself to Hardy as 'flying'. (History of the Common Law, page 526)

God of Israel “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:16
No brainer. Of course he is saying he disapproves of pot use: he wants the moderate vote when he runs again. And after he's elected, he'll decriminalize it completely. Back in 1974, when running for governor the first time, he made illegal immigration a campaign issue (few people recall that) and he was against it. Now he gives them licenses and, recently, access to MediCal. Jerry Brown is a filthy SOB. Typical Democrat of the nastiest kind. Smirks while he 'effs you.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All