Roger L. Simon

Alinsky Lessons for Republicans

October 24th, 2013 - 9:14 pm

Like it or not, at this magnificent teaching moment, we all have to swallow our pride and take the circuitous crafty route to success. We have to be our own Alinskyites. If liberals can do it, we can do it. And trust me, they’re reeling a little bit from all this. A few, just a few, may be open to change. But that’s all we need to win everything.

The holiday season is fast upon us and friends and family will be getting together. In this radically divided country, feelings will be raw, as they have been for the last decade at least.

This is the time to lead your horse to water. In the conversation that will inevitably come up, take the low-key approach. Say, for example, shaking your head in concern, “I really wanted Obamacare to succeed.” That’s probably not true, but say it anyway — and try to be heartfelt. (We’ve all lied in our lives over less — and some of us have gotten away with it.)

If you say it enough times, with enough deep feeling, maybe they’ll believe you. At least they’ll nod their heads in some way. Then you might add, with a thoughtful frown, “I’m trying to figure out why Apple Computer could sell 9 million iPhones in one weekend but people couldn’t even get on the government’s healthcare website for weeks.”

Now the answer to this is obvious — Apple is a private business subject to competition and seeking to make a profit (and how!) and a government website is, well, just the opposite — socialism. It doesn’t work and never has. But whatever you do, DON’T say this. Let your friend or relation figure it out — or get part of the way there, even very tentatively.

At that point, you have to be even more low key. You have to say something like, “Yeah, you may be right. I’ll have to think about that.”

Now at that point, either they’re going to punch you in the nose, or you’re going to get them thinking. If it’s the former, my only suggestion to you is to duck —or learn Krav Maga.

But if it’s the latter — score! You and we are on the way. Victory in 2014.

(Artwork created using a modified Shutterstock.com image.)

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

I have a different idea. It's time that 'Blame the Republicans' moved into the realm of satire. THis year at your family holiday gathering, When the dressing doesn't taste quite right blame the republicans. When someone forgets to bring the pie blame the Republicans. If you run out of coffee blame the Republicans.. etc.
Republicans already are very experienced in Alinsky tactics and use them very effectively against their opponents. Just look at how they "Alinskied" Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, the Tea Party and all the conservative candidates during the 2012 Presidential Primary. Karl Rove, Sir Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Britt Hume, Dana Perino, Jeb Bush - all these "Republicans" know how to "isolate" a target and destroy it. They are doing it right now. Watch as they mock the Tea Party.

Fortunately, these Republicans are not totally "Lucifer loving" Alinskyites. They can be very nice people. Notice they are never rude to Democrat tyrants like Obama.
You may be right Roger, but I prefer to laugh at them.

HEY, HEY, WHAT DO YOU SAY
WHAT DID OBAMA SCREW UP TODAY?

I don't know how many old, blue collar or inherited blue collar Democrats you know; the "Democrats are for the little guy; Republicans are for the fat cats", and "my Grampa was union, my Dad was union, and I'm union and union people vote Democrat." type of old, loyal, usually ethnic (Polish, Slovak, Lithuanian ) now suburban voters surrounding the big cities now.
They may be college grads, which actually adds to the problem if they're younger than sixty, and may have never been in, and certainly have never voted to install, a union, but they cannot admit that the Democratic Party left them and theirs behind forty years ago. They may not like Obama, they may end up cussing him, but when they go into the voting booth, they pull the Democratic lever- party line all the way. The younger folks, thirties or so, may be coming around, and those old folks may be Reagan Democrats if we can find a Reagan, but how do we ever get them to vote Republican further down the ticket? Alinski shame and ridicule will not work, they're not ashamed and they don't tolerate ridicule.
Of course, as is suggested above, a little gentle Socratic suggestion and the sticker shock will bring a few around. If we can get to 5% of them, maybe... though not in the big city states. Not likely. First you'd have to get to an honest vote.
up to I saw the draft 4 $5028, I have faith that...my... friends brother actually bringing home money part time at there labtop.. there mums best friend started doing this for only about six months and just now repayed the dept on there condo and got a great new Chevrolet. you can check here >>>>> http://x.co/2hNL1
LHF said it , and Ann Coulter said it too, "Liberalism is a godless religion." This new religion has taken over most of the Western world, including the U.S. Reason alone won't defeat it. The lesson that "Pope" Obama teaches us is that the public prefers sweet sounding lies over cold truths. I'm not negative, just realistic. Government has replaced charity in the new religion, so we can't say we want to cut it, rather we want to fix it, make it better and more efficient and less fraud, so we can do more of it down the road. Also, freedom is intoxicating. Want to opt out of Social Security? Your option. Want to opt out of Obamacare? Cool, fund youself with a tax deductible plan. You want to smoke pot? Let the states decide. Amnesty for illegals? Sure, let's just contol the border first. Tax the rich? Sure, anyone making over a half million pays a "save the goverment" tax that goes to cutting the debt. The traditional battle cries of "let's cut taxes" just ain't going to win the day. For God's sake a 57-year-old Republican friend of mine just confessed he voted for Obama in 2008. We got a $700 bonus at work that was $450 net. The dopes I work with don't blame the government, they blame the employer! I'm not trying to bum you out, just sayin' we need to open our minds, face the new reality, and adopt new rhetoric.
I think asking logical questions help. For example,

I am a little confused. All the proponents of Obamacare have been telling us how wonderful it will be, how everyone is going to want this insurance. If that is true why are so many companies seeking waivers and why is there a mandate for individuals to buy insurance. If it is great as they say why are they forcing people to buy it, shouldn't people be seeking it out on their own?

I pulled out my old 80's Stat Abstract and found something interesting. Since 1939 Republicans had seldom held the House - and they also have seldom held the Senate. So actually our guys aren't doing too badly.

I don't know if it is possible to really talk people out of progressivism.
"Larry in Israel" wrote: "I don't think you get it, Roger. I don't think you understand how the Obama types are to not thinking."

BINGO. To see this, visit a Republican Congressman's Facebook page, as I regularly do my Congressman's, and scroll through the comments. The comments from the Left are uniformly unhinged -- nothing but name-calling and spewing hatred for "teabaggers," etc. Collectively, the Democrat supporters are a howling, bloodthirsty mob. You cannot reason with them.

To counter, I post facts and links to articles, even when called names. But I do that to influence the "independent " lurkers and buck-up our side.

Roger, I understand that you might be targeting "reasonable" liberals, and there may be a few, but with most Democrat supporters these days, not just Leftists, DISRUPTING reasoned discussion is a deliberate tactic to help them control the narrative. They are not interested in a conversation -- they are interested in willing themselves to power.

BINGO. To see this, visit a Republican Congressman's Facebook page, as I regularly do mine, and scroll through the comments. The comments from the Left are uniformly unhinged -- nothing but name-calling and spewing hatred for "teabaggers," etc. Collectively, the Democrat supporters are a howling, bloodthirsty mob. You cannot reason with them.

This tactic only works with strangers. Everyone who knows me knows I've been a small govt guy. And so I guess you're spending holidays with people you don't know or you didn't think this article out. Happy turkey day!
You can't argue with faith. Leftism (communism, socialism, progressivism, whatever) is a religion. It has its gods, its devils, its dogma, its rituals, its martyrs, its taboos, its hymns, and it punishes those who stray with shaming and ostracism.
Sorry, but Alinsky was evil. Conservatives don't do evil.
Max Planck once quipped that "science progresses one funeral at a time"; a new theory takes root gradually as stubborn adherents of the old theory die off. Having struggled for over a decade to deprogram my liberal Dad, I see no evidence that politics is any different.

It's like the people who claim that HIV doesn't cause AIDS. They never admit they're wrong, they just quietly die of AIDS.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All