Roger L. Simon

Living in Fear: Welcome to Fascist America

June 19th, 2013 - 12:09 am

A few weeks ago CBS reporter Sharyl Attkisson phoned me to ask about my Benghazi contacts. I assumed the call was being recorded. Now I read that her computer is bugged. It turns on and off by itself in the middle of the night.

Mine doesn’t. At least I don’t think it does. I tend to be asleep at three a.m.

Still, I live in fear. And I don’t think I’m the only one. I think a lot of people do now, in various degrees. They want to think they don’t, but they do.

It’s not a terrified fear. I don’t cower under my desk. It’s a nagging fear, a trepidation. Something that never goes away.

Someone is watching me, monitoring whatever I do. If I make a mistake, I will pay for it. My future will be bleak.

Basically, I am being silenced. And so are you. Purposefully or not, they are trying to shut us down and shut us up.

They say they’re not, but they are.

They don’t believe they are, but they are.

They have protective mechanisms in place, but who knows if they function?

We have to rely on the beneficence of our overseers, but how can we believe in that?

How can we believe in anything? Everything is too big. We are just cogs in the wheel. Winston Smith had it better than us. The technology was not as efficient in his day (1984).

So I live in fear.

And here’s the big problem: it’s hard to see how it’s going to get better.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

Where does my country stand today?

Once, I was a member of the protectorate of our freedoms. Once I was a countryman to patriots. Once, I was a defender of liberties and freedoms.

Today, I am part of the resistance.

Even under a trustworthy administration, mere knowledge of the government's domestic electronic spying capability chills dissent.

We are fortunate that the revelations of mass domestic surveillance come during a time of of multiple scandals pointing up government unaccountability. If civilian and military officials of the State Department, the IRS and the NSA were not recently seen dissembling and lying in under oath before congress and the public, we might be more trusting and less alert to the threat. If someone at the Department of State or the Department of Justice or the IRS were fired, we might be more credulous when senior officials reassure us that nobody is listening to our phone calls or reading our mail.

It is urgent to remember that only political correctness and an unwillingness to focus anti-terrorism efforts on the known source of terrorism, namely Muslims legally or illegally traveling or residing in America forces reliance on mass domestic surveillance. The NSA has no need for the data or even the metadata of 300 million Americans.

The choice is plain: We either offend the sensibilities of a Muslim minority or we trash the Constitution and forfeit the civil liberties of three hundred million Americans.

Ordinary Americans have already made enormous concessions in treasure and inconvenience for the right of Muslims to live, travel and communicate freely in America. But enough is enough.

Let Muslims Americans rely on empty assurances of congressional and judicial oversight for protection of their civil rights. The rest of us know better.
"I live in fear."

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever."

1984 was an attack on Communism, not Fascism. It is Communism that seeks to control the populace by controlling acceptable thought. Fascists prefer guns and clubs and tend to restrict themselves to people who are genuine enemies. Such ideas as self-criticism, sensitivity training, and insistence on 'politically correct' thinking are communist, not fascist. Let's call it what it is.
I don't think so. I listened to General Alexander and others on CSPAN this morning, and I think that devoted patriots are still overseeing things for the protection of Americans and American principles. That said, it is wise to be remain skeptical and vigilant, but I think we're OK.
I just don't worry about it. I live in a country where not only do we have British-style libel laws, but free speech has some legal limitations (only applied to people on the right, of course). However, being a small fish I don't worry about it.

Perhaps there are countries that have the sort of civil rights guaranteed by the US constitution, but I don't know which they are. I know Canada had civil rights suspended when I was a kid.
Time to go Galt. Wyoming, anyone?
I'm probably already destined for the 'reeducation camp' - as a military veteran, am original Tea Partier, and for all the things that I have written on various blogs since 2002 - including a certain scepticism about da Won. No, I will not live in this grey self-censored life. This America that the Vile Proggs seemed determined to turn the grand experiment into ... No, I won't endure that, or tolerate it by silence. I posted the quote from the abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison on a discussion blog last week, when we were worrying over the potential repercussions of speaking frankly: "I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD. "
It'll have to be a damn big camp to hold us all.
Don't fool yourself, they don't mean to "hold" us, for any longer than it takes to process us for orderly disposal.
You know, I'm about done with posting comments at PJM.
Way to go, fellas - from someone who was an original PJMer. This new system sucks with the ability to draw in small planets. You guys carry on the resistance your way, I'll carry on mine.
Oh, and lovely, that we now have to post our city, age and all. Thanks. Just heaps.
The real pervasive damage this climate of fear wreaks was outlined by Toqueville almost 200 years ago. Still spot on.

"Tocqueville also foresaw exactly how this regulatory state would suffocate the spirit of free enterprise: "It rarely forces one to act, but it constantly opposes itself to one's acting; it does not destroy, it prevents things from being born; it does not tyrannize, it hinders, compromises, enervates, extinguishes, dazes, and finally reduces [the] nation to being nothing more than a herd of timid and industrious animals of which the government is the shepherd."
"Purposefully or not, they are trying to shut us down and shut us up.

They say they’re not, but they are.

They don’t believe they are, but they are."

Mr. Simon surely you jest! "They say they're not....don't believe they are?"
They know exactly what they are doing and they are doing it on purpose!
We now live in a Federal totalitarian state where everything you do, say or write is on record with our Federal overlords and could come back to haunt you at some time.

The ONLY outcome of the Socialist/Statist viewpoint is complete and total control of the populace, based on your own frequent use of the word "fear" they are being very effective in their efforts at control.

As effective with legislation, regulation, intimidation and audits as the Bolsheviks ever were with the barrel of a gun.
"Step out of line,
the man come and take you away.
Time to stop, children, what's that sound?
Everybody look what's going down."

So where are Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young today? Anybody heard from Bruce? Joan Baez? Pete Seeger? I thought it was about, you know, freedom.
If we stop talking about it, they win. If we damn the torpedoes, we may win.

I lived in a nanny state for long enough to know I can't stay silent, so I won't.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All