Roger L. Simon

Last Blog from Tel Aviv — Trouble at [REDACTED] Headquarters

June 3rd, 2013 - 1:34 pm

The Center has a website with much of the same information as the small museum, which I recommend. Among their most important holdings are documents taken from the PLO that include direct signed orders from Yasser Arafat, controlling virtually everything and demonstrating he was indeed a master terrorist in charge of all aspects of his organization through his checkbook,

John Kerry might want to peruse some of these documents as he launches the next round of negotiations. Money’s tight these days and we’ve already blown off stunning amounts of cash on these characters for no discernible benefit. Why should it be any different this time?

Ah, but not to worry. I read in Haaretz this morning that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has appointed an academic (Rami Hamdallah) to be the new Palestinian Authority prime minister. What a relief. Corruption will no doubt be a thing of the past and we will move swiftly to peace.

I am writing this in Jerusalem, the next stop on our itinerary, where we toured the Old City today. The excavations are much more extensive than when I was last here twenty years ago and are quite extraordinary, particularly a subterranean tour you can take under the length of the Western Wall. The Israelis take archaeology seriously, not only for its own sake but also for obvious reasons of patrimony.

Thanks to all the commenters who have written the kind notes about my travels.

Click here to visit Roger’s 2013 Recommended Reading List at the PJ Book Club.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

The best part of many of my trips were on the accidental detours, the only way you learn of many places is by stumbling into them. I always plan my trips with hours of free time to take advantage of surprises or even a nice restaurant. I bet you brightened that guards day with your charming bumbling.
So true. There's nothing more exhausting and unedifying than an itinerary planned down to the last minute. Especially in a country as fascinating as Israel.
Roger, welcome to my country. Since you're with Professor Barry, I know you're having a very good time, and learning a lot of neat stuff in the process. When are you making aliyah?
I agree with Hmastercylinder. You ended the article before getting to anything interesting. You made some very high level comments about how interesting the museum was and how corrupt a terrorist Arafat was, which peaked my interest a bit. But I already know as much or more than what you put in this article. It might have been worth reading had you gone in more detail on those subjects.

But as it is, it appears your only real concern was that you got yourself lost driving somewhere you had never been before. If that had been the title of your post, I would have skipped reading this non-article, and would have been the none the worse for it.
An academic in charge of the PA? Oh thank G-d! There will now be peace in the ME. Academics are always so reasonable and peaceful. :o0

BTW- My daughter is there right now in the far north living with an Israeli (Christian) family.
Roger -
Go to the Rockefeller Museum. I was there 20+ years ago. In the last room was a beautiful mosaic floor with Hebrew writing saying basically: "Don't trust the people 10 miles away. They pronounce 'A' like 'ah'."
I wonder if we passed each other in The Old City yesterday? I spent much of the morning on The Temple Mount. I hope you has a chance to go up. This evening, if you are interested, you can find me at the wooden indian in Mamilla at 8PM. Just ask anybody.
Enjoy your trip.
The Holy Land is on my bucket list. I envy your adventures there.
I was there 20 years ago as well. I'm very grateful I was able to go when I did. Have a marvelous journey Roger.
Rog, honey.
I hope you got all your dough out of this thing, because it has become way too troublesome to even comment in this stupid format.
You're making NRO look like badboys.
Have you noticed the comments declining? Indeed, disappearing?
Everyone else has.
If it is too annoying, leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Yes, that's the best way to improve things. Never point out problems and make sure nobody else does, either.
Hey Mr. Report - great attitude. Are you in Marketing at PJMedia? I posted way more in the old format and read more of the comments also. And I observe that many of the posters I enjoyed back then are nowhere to be found or are not as active. I am not sure why but it is so. But sorry for bothering you with that observation.
I envy you your behind-the-Kotel tunnel tour. I've always wanted to do that but never found the time. Speaking of patrimony, be sure to visit the Burnt House, another Old City excavation of a (presumed) high priest's home at the time of the Second Temple's destruction. The Burnt House has been around a while but is now done up suitably for visitors, with a nice video re-enactment as well.
DickStanley: make time for the Kotel tunnel tour. It's amazing.