Roger L. Simon

CPAC Deflates the ‘Big Tent’ over GOProud

February 27th, 2013 - 1:19 pm

This would seem to be ground zero for conservatives and libertarians of all strains, united as we are in keeping government out of our fiscal lives to the greatest degree possible.

That is where the “big tent” can and should begin on the right and GOProud has long been a stellar part of that from its inception.

Although I have no particular status in this argument, I would urge the CPAC leadership to reconsider their decision.  They are putting more at jeopardy than they seem to realize.

Politics is largely about perception. Once you are perceived to be bigoted, you are, even if that perception is untrue. In a case like this, where there is an arguable truth, the situation becomes yet more troublesome.

It tarnishes all of us who wish to effectuate genuine change in our country and makes it even more difficult to make that change.

Remember: if you grow up in a society where being gay is socially acceptable, as it demonstrably is in today’s America, and you are a young person who senses that his friends are being discriminated against, being denied that happiness that you can have, fairly or not, you will think the people who practice that discrimination to be loathsome. You will disregard everything they have to say.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

"while handing their opponents a club to bash them with. They are marginalizing themselves."

What precisely would change this?

No really I hear this often and I want an answer. What exactly can Conservatives do that would not come with getting clubbed?

I can think of so many ways to marginalize the inclusion of GOProud that it isn't even funny.

Seriously let's just kill the child logic now. No actually those hell-bent on kicking you down will keep kicking you down even if you do things they like.
Support gay marriage, abortion. Hell change the party name to Democrat Light or Democrat #2 while you're at it.

Easy money says it will do jack.
Roger, you have selective memory regarding GOProud and CPAC.

First, GOProud and its members are not banned from CPAC.

Second, GOProud is no longer allowed to sponsor the event because they used it as an opportunity to attack other conservatives and conservative organizations like then Senator Jim Demint, The Heritage Foundation and Liberty University. It was GOProud, not CPAC, that attempted to drive others out of the "Big Tent,"

Third, GOProud is long on talk and fundraising but does little actual work to advance conservative causes. A quick review of their press releases show a leadership intent on feathering their own nests and doing little else. Name one conservative issue on which they have led in the past four years.

Fourth, GOProud has attempted to punish homosexuals who differ with their positions by "outing them" to the press. Do you remember the pollster who worked for Rick Perry? You forgot to mention that the late Andrew Breitbart left the GOProud board over that little stunt.

We have fought this battle before. If you want me to dig out all the links and recite all the ways GOProud has supported the left, then I can do so.
Voters judge themselves with their votes.

If the culture wants to persecute Christians in the name of homosexual acceptance -- and that's what it's doing -- then that is the voters' choice.

Accepting a lie is no way to win. And same-sex marriage is a lie. I don't care if two men say they're married, but there's no way you are going to get me to say they are married.
Personally, I am NOT a supporter of homosexual marriage. However, I don't believe the damn government belongs in the bed room. Nor should government regulate "marriage". I have no problem with "civil unions"...just don't calll it marriage.

On the other hand, I don't care what you do behind your front door. It's just not my business. However, I don't believe that anyone should impose their beliefs upon any other man, woman, or child.

CPAC is making a huge mistake on this one. The GOP isn't known as the party of stupid for no reason...here's yet another one. The GOP has always been a literal "big tent" party...by excluding a small, but vocal minority, they are showing themselves to be every bit as intollerant as Democrats and Liberals are.
Roger L Simon (RLS) seems to be a libertarian, not a conservative. I consider myself a conservative: a libertarian who studied and learned the lessons of History.

RSL seems resign to the current culture when he wrote: "For young people especially (and I’m almost talking under age forty here) gay marriage is a fait accompli". A French expression! It reminds me of a French phrase: "Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait!" If youth only knew, if age only could! RSL put in the upper age of 40 as to comfort himself that adults (>18 yo) are embrassing homosexuality then he should too. Going back to the 1970's the education industry has been in full grip of the Progressive/Socialists so most of the 40 y.o.'s have been stewed in Leftism for all their adult lives. Besides, there are teenage conservatives, so there is some antidote against collectivism.

RSL's argumentation is incomplete and asymmetric. RSL asks "Do we want these things to be legislated by Congress at all?" to CPAC and to the PJ media readership. But RSL is NOT asking the same question to GoProud. Is GoProud pushing for same-sex marriage to be a Federal issue? a State issue? RSL does not say.

Major and long-lived nations, religions, and civilizations have all experimented with homosexual "marriage" (yes even the Roman Catholic Church early on). But these experiments were short-lived; from an empirical point of view the same-sex advocates need to find out why. Civilizations, nations are like biological entities: they strive to grow and remain healthy; apparently homosexual "marriage" did not help. Through all of their respective histories, man-woman marriage was and is a constant. I do not mind same-sex marriage to be experimented at the State level. One will have to wait 70-odd years to see the effect.
"It's a fool's errand for the GOP to keep trying to out-Democrat the Democrats by trying to prove, over and over, how tolerant, diverse, and politically correct they are."

Last time I looked, the Republicans were a party in power now and then. Like, they have Presidents and stuff. How are those conservative types doing that way?

Better remove the log in your own eye, before pointing out the speck in others.
Like Newt said, the GOP is RINOS from the top on down. When they try to be conservatives they pull something like this.
This article as well as many of the comments conflate the CPAC with the Republican Party. While there is much overlap, they are not the same organizations and each has a different purpose.

I have preached incessantly that the political party needs a big tent. We need every vote we can find for limiting the size and reach of government, whether it comes from gays or Martians (legal, naturalized Martians).

But a group organized around a philosophy is different. It is not running anybody for office, it is not accountable to the public for its beliefs. It may believe that opening the door too wide could dilute its core ideas. Whatever the reason for excluding GOProud and Christie, whom I admire, it's their business, and they don't deserve to be called bigots for that decision in that context.

For what it's worth, I believe "conservative" is a relative term, and Chris is about as conservative as they get when it comes to elected officials from that part of the country.

Concentrate on freedom and liberty, you idiots. Get a political philosophy built around originalist/constructionist interpretations of The Constitution.

'Cause a political philosophy built around hating other people because they don't look like you, think like you or live like you...isn't gonna work. A political philosophy built around religious doctrines and teachings? Yeah, the West has tried all that before. It didn't work. The Middle East and Southwest Asia are still learning that lesson, and we hate them when they do it...

Freedom and liberty. Constitutional construction.

Otherwise, just elect a pope or a preacher or something, discard The Constitution for religion, and be done with it.

'Cause what you're doing now is insanity.
I have to say that this is constistent with Constitutional principle. If the people hold the rights not mentioned in the Federal level, then it is up to the people to decide this issue.

I prefer to err on the side of liberty on this issue. We should be welcoming anybody that values commitment in a marital relationship, rather than exclude them.
Gays don't want marriage to show they're in love. They want it to access government benes. A fiscal conservative would recognize that and reject the stated premise of the gay community. Gays want themselves to be a new entitlement group.
Read the details of the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act just passed by the House. You will find that "Women" are a much broader group (don't think that) than you suspected.
I mostly see two concerns that CPAC might have with GOProud. One, CPAC wants to avoid identity politics. In a perfect world, I would agree. I'd rather not have black conservatives, gay conservatives groups. We'd rather be better served talking about how our different ideas of conservatism by differentiating ourselves by our worldviews. However, the main goal of groups like GOProud seems to be outreach, between gays and conservatives.

Second, I might have the suspicion that GOProud is what could be called a "sexually leftist" group, i.e., they hold the assumption that we all have some sort of right to consequence free sex. Many homosexual groups hold to this pillar of the sexual revolution, but GOProud has denounced the Obamacare individual mandate. Also, no group that that believes in government-enabled, consequence-free sexuality would speak in federalist terms of same sex marriage.
Yeah, it's a bad move for conservatives to deliberately exclude & alienate a group that is showing some courage by trying to associate with your cause.
When one of my liberal friends found out I was a republican one of the 'zingers' was that republicans wanted to crucify gays.

This is why liberals think Iran is conservative. They literally crucify gays and hang uppity women. Which they believe republicans do too.

I had a very good friend who was gay. His biggest regret was that he had no family life like I did. (was because he died. Sometimes gay people die of things other than aids it turns out)

My definition of bigotry is someone who looks at a person who is different and can't see the human being inside of him.

Not many people are really that badly messed up. And they are evenly distributed. First thing I found out in a mixed marriage is racism is pretty evenly distributed.

Its also made me worry how will my kids feel if they read about the millions of angry whites waking up? like angry whites? or the other side?

What precisely would change this?

Easy money says it will do jack.
Ok, I'll bite.

Really? Supporting gay marriage is like supporting abortion and is tantamount to becoming a democrat and abandoning conservative principles? I've heard conservative arguments for either position, I've even heard a pretty good, though unconvincing, libertarian argument against gay marriage. One can be a gay conservative and dismiss the leftist assumption of the sexual revolution, that big government should enable consequence-free sex.

Those in the media who would keep calling conservatives bigots over gay marriage would lose credibility if a gay group was one of CPAC's sponsoring groups. Now only to find a way to fight the assumption in the liberal media that big government is good for black people, other than, you know, bringing up Jim Crow.
No I'm saying that you could in effect become Democrat Light in every issue and the Democrats would still hit you.

Let's look at the way black Conservatives are treated. Are they seen as evidence that no the party is not bigoted?

Or are they seen as tokens of a party that is bigoted but wants to look like it isn't?

If your reasoning were true shouldn't the "The Republicans are Racists!" Liberal line be dead right through here?

What of female Conservatives and the "Republicans are Sexists!" Liberal line?

So there is a gay conservative group? Token Gay Group? Brainwashed like black conservatives and female conservatives naturally.

I mean we've heard this play before. It's not that hard to pin.
1 2 3 4 Next View All