Roger L. Simon

A Tale of Three (or More) Roger Simons

November 9th, 2012 - 11:36 pm

Nevertheless, as the world turns, in 1979 one of my cheesy detective stories — The Big Fix — was made into a “major motion picture” starring Richard Dreyfus, for which I wrote the screenplay. No doubt because Richard was otherwise engaged, the studio sent me to Chicago to promote the opening of the movie in the Windy City, where the other Roger Simon was doing a column for one of their papers. The publicist got the idea that he should interview me — Roger Simon interviews Roger Simon. Cute. So the event was scheduled.

The other Roger never showed. Can’t say as I blame him. I don’t know if I would have either if the tables were turned.

So I never did brush up against that Roger Simon for decades, until I had invaded his terrain and started to write political commentary. That was mostly accidental on my part and came from my having been — to use the familiar pejorative — a flip-flopper (in my case, someone who was once a leftie becoming something of a rightie).

Everyone was confused by this, including me. It went so far as my being flown across country to appear on Meet the Press only to find they expected the other Roger Simon. (Yes, that really happened. My consolation prize was five minutes on air with Norah O’Donnell, who had no idea what to make of my strange libertarian utterings.)

I finally did bump into the other Roger at some Washington news gathering or other. He didn’t look pleased to see me, though perhaps that was projection. At this point I’m certain neither of us enjoys having our work confused. (I was appreciative of NRO’s Jim Geraghty, who recently referred to me as “our” Roger Simon is his esteemed morning email.)

So what does this all add up to? Not much except for one thing. No matter how unique you think your name might be, no matter how original, it is not unique enough. Most of us recall from high school English the fate of that man with that most original of names — Shelley’s Ozymandias.

And if you don’t remember that, better to heed the words of the great Memphis Slim:

(Thumbnail on PJM homepage assembled from multiple Shutterstock.com images. Say the secret word, and you win lovely parting .gif.)

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Click here to view the 76 legacy comments

Roger L Simon is the best of them all!

Occasionally I see something on realclearpolitics written by that other guy with the same name, after about a sentence, I realize something is very wrong. The no middle initial guy probably does not look good in a hat either. Such a pretender!
Start working at home with Google! Its by-far the best job Ive had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. Useful Reference WWW.Pow6.com
WORK LESS EARN MORE
yeah I did a triple take seeing that comment attributed to you, but I KNEW it could not be yours due to the poor and fantasy content, and of course that it was published in that 3rd rate rag Politico----Question: If Obummer, Madame Defarge err Pelosi and Hairy Reid were on a sinking ship, who would be saved? Answer: THE REPUBLIC of the USA......
I will NEVER be civil in return to those who call me a racist, label huge groups of people anti science and anti woman b/c of ONE person's opinion on the same side as mine and yet who tell me no it's not ALL Muslims etc- the left- biggest hypocrite BS artists to ever walk this planet- I am F**cking sick of them and their made up "stories"
Didn't that other Roger do a movie show with Roger?
Thank God you walked into the light, Mr. Simon. Too bad about that other one.
It's easy to tell the two of you apart.

The Other Roger Simon looks vaguely like Himler.

You do not.
You and Walter E. Williams should start a club.
Next thing you know, you'll tell us you're also not the Roger Simon on the White House visitor logs.
You'll always be my favorite Roger Simon.
Perhaps you should just adopt a nom de plume .
Roger Wilco.
Yeah. Maybe "Ezra Klein" would be a nice pen name...

The Incompetent, Lazy, Unqualified USURPER has spent his entire Presidency ruling as a divisive 'Community Agitator' seeking to set all parts American society at war with each other just like Alinsky Rules advocates.

Alinskys Rules is the USURPER's 'Meine Kampf ' read it and you can see how all the USURPERS and the Democraps actions fall in to place
1 2 Next View All