Roger’s Rules

‘Racism, Inc.’ Comes to Football

November 2nd, 2013 - 5:46 am

Not, I know, that historical scholarship, i.e., the truth about the facts of the case, is going to cut much mustard with folks like Suzan Shown Harjo. They are not in the business of establishing truth but rather of running a grievance-mongering industry, and only those facts that support their activism need apply for the job of counting as evidence.  Still, for those of us interested in the actual, as distinct from the mythological, history of the issue, Paquette has some interesting facts to relate.

For more than a century after colonizing the North American mainland colonies, English settlers, when describing their interactions with indigenous peoples, applied the terms “white” or “tawny” to them.  No one, to the best of any professional historian’s knowledge, has found the use of redskin to describe an “Indian” before the early decades of the eighteenth century. White Americans under the influence of French rationalism became more tri-color coded in broadly speaking of “races” only during the late eighteenth-century. In fact, no less than Thomas Jefferson in the first edition of Notes on the State of Virginia (1781), in a section of the book that challenges the wisdom of the French naturalist, Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon in his characterization of the New World’s flora and fauna, emerges as one of the first prominent persons in the United States to speak of “man, white, red, and black,”   The application by warriors of red paint to their bodies prior to  waging war undoubtedly helped at some point to cement in the minds of whites the association of red with Indian.  Thus, for many whites, though, to be sure, not all, “redskin” came to connote ferocity, bravery, and daring, attributes that one might easily want to associate with a football team.

And so on.  Read the whole thing.  Long live the Redskins!

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

The imbroglio over the term "Redskins" calls to mind all of the other "cultures" whose spokesmen (usually self-appointed) have expressed outrage about this or that. I just heard somewhere that a Japanese "cultural group" forced Pottery Barn to drop "Sushi Chef" and "Geisha Girl" from it's line of packaged Halloween costumes. I believe this is part of the current bumper-stickerism that says "We're a Culture not a Costume." Apparantly you can only portray such (media-approved) "cultures" in two ways - The first as "Aggrieved Victim" and the second as "Heroic-Victim-Overcoming-Oppression." The division of society into different "cultural" fiefdoms has long been promoted by the Left as a way of attacking the "White Male-Dominated Power-Structure." The alternative to the melting-pot is what the Rev. Jackson used to call a "beautiful mosaic" inwhich each "culture" is a self-contained entity that is part of some greater whole. Yet this has always begged the question of "What's Holding Us Together." The Rev. Jackson never mentioned that in his "mosaic" there must be some sort of glue or cement that keeps the individual "tiles" together. Otherwise you just get a pile of rubble. That cement used to be broadly shared ideas of genuine tolerance, mercy and generosity. It also involves humor and self-deprecation and a sense of humor. Those now campaigning against the "Redskins" and those objecting to sushi chef Halloween costumes may or may not believe in what they are doing but they certainly lack those qualities of tolerance, generosity and humor that are needed to bind a whole society together. It also asks the question - Is there an independent "American" culture anymore?
My brother-in-law is full blooded Inuit. He laughs at the attempts by "the victim-hooded mentality of the left" in his words to try to drag the American Indian into their sorry-assed world. Most of them couldn't care less about a team called the Redskins. He/they are all chanting "GO SEAHAWKS"!

He did suggest that maybe the Redskins could change the name to the Blackskins since "most of the team are made up of that tribe anywho" according to him. His suggestion - not mine. I did think it was funny.

My last pay check was 9500 dolr working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out.........>>>>>>>> http://xurl.es/z16n0
my buddy's step-mother makes $76 hourly on the laptop. She has been without work for nine months but last month her pay was $16208 just working on the laptop for a few hours. check here___>>>> www.bay89.com
Am i earning some respectable? money online not $25,000 or $50,000 like others saying. I am happy? with my hundreds of dollars every month. This is all you have to do. Google the term "STRETCHMARKS" and go to the top site and then click on their PENNY STOCK pages to have fun making money online...... WWW.Rush64.Com
I do not believe that "Redskins", or any of names of American Indian origin for sports teams, are meant to be disparaging. Instead, they celebrate legendary fighting masculine qualities that are actually indicative actually of admiration. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are always some, or even many, who will be offended.
I would like to propose a possible solution. Why not let some federation of the Indian nation franchise their Indian names to universities and sports teams. That way everyone might be happy. The Indian nation can then take pride in having their names used, and participate in the financial rewards. The teams and institutions would also reap the benefit of knowing that they are sharing the rewards of using the names with the Indian nation. It could be a win-win for everybody.
Im making over $13k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life.last month her pay check was $12712 just working on the laptop for a few hours. This is what I do,------>> http://www.works23.com
my best friend's aunt makes $77 hourly on the internet. She has been without work for eight months but last month her check was $15175 just working on the internet for a few hours. ....>>>>>>>> http://xurl.es/g7gox
my neighbor's half-sister makes $87/hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for five months but last month her pay was $12080 just working on the internet for a few hours. pop over to these guys======================= www.fb29.com
They should be renamed the "foreskins" in a tribute to the congress.
As a native american I do not find Redskins offensive. What I find offensive is guilty white lieberals with too much time on their hands who ignore the multitude of real problems in this country.
Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month . Its the most-financialy rewarding I've had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out www.Pow6.com
This is all so dismally hilarious...I'll have to join in though. Part of my heritage is Danish, and I know for a fact I have an ancient ancestor known by the name Thorfinn Scullcleaver (no, I'm not kidding), so I must take exception at the Minnesota Vikings moniker. The very name forces me and mine to reflect on our bloodthirsty, pillaging past and implies that we are not truly capable of being the benign little andrognyous metrosexuals we've tried so hard to become. I think, no, I KNOW that I am now offended and rightly should be. I'm calling Roger Goodell as soon as I'm done wiping the broken-hearted tears of shame and degradation from my face. *OH MY ACHING HEAD* (Why do I feel like LMAO and beating someone up at the same time, lol?)
You have to love the Norse for their creative names. I also have Danish ancestors back to some bastard son of a prince.

As long as we're offended by names, we also need to get of the 49ers, who exploited mother earth ruthlessly in the pursuit of gold.

And the Cowboys, who raped the west, killing Indians and fostering a culture of cattle exploitation that to this day pollutes the land and causes untold numbers of deaths from eating meat.

And the Packers. We all know thats just an offensive euphemism for gay people.

And the Giants. Not only does it unduly draw attention to tall people, its denigrative to midgets.

And the Raiders. Glorifies violence But really mostly because they suck.

And the Buccaneers. Pirates were not nice people.

I'm sure there are lots of others, just gotta find a reason.
1 2 3 4 Next View All