Roger’s Rules

A Bite at the Apple: Thoughts on an ‘Unmitigated Disaster’

October 28th, 2013 - 4:40 am

iphone-ipad-iphab-phablet

My introduction to Apple was through the iPhone. I had always regarded Apple products as glorified toys—pretty but only semi-functional—but I had to admit that the iPhone made good on its promise of simple yet sophisticated elegance.  Then came an iMac. At first, I ran it with a Windows partition, switching back and forth between OS X, the Apple operating system, and Windows.  Eventually, I scrapped the Windows bit altogether. It was at about this time that I started using Pages as my preferred writing tool. It is not as sophisticated as a dedicated page layout program like Quark or InDesign. But it is pretty capable and far more elegant than Word.

All of which is to say that I was as pleased as anyone when I heard about the new version of Pages.  Step by step over the last few years, I have become an Apple enthusiast. The iMac soon had the company of a Macbook Pro and then an iPad. What did it for me was opening up my first Apple laptop. I’d been through this drill with PC laptops many times and was prepared to spend the better part of an evening getting it to play nice with our home network and printer (Drivers: remember Windows Drivers?). But when I turned on the Apple laptop, it instantly found our home network and printer. I was up an running in a couple of minutes. To adapt the old Apple slogan: It Just Worked.

One of the things I liked about Apple stuff was its design. Hardware and software both seemed very well thought-out. Simple. Elegant. Yet also very capable. The software tended to have a clean, easy-to-use, almost minimalist interface. But scratch the surface and you’d find it could handle all sorts of complex tasks. Like many users of Pages, I was expecting more of the same with this latest release. What we got instead was a crippled version of the software—scores  upon scores of basic features have been removed in order to make it work seamlessly on the iPad and iPhone.

my buddy's step-sister makes $71 hourly on the computer. She has been fired for five months but last month her check was $17864 just working on the computer for a few hours. why not try this out.....www.Bay95.com
On the very rare occasions I need to fire up a word processor on my Mac, I use LibreOffice (which has the benefit of working on my Linux boxes and being compatible with Word/Excel etc on my Windows machines.) I use emacs or TextWrangler for command line programming, Xcode for Cocoa stuff, and TeXShop if I need to do anything serious, typesetting-wise. The thought of using a phone to do word processing is bizarre.
guess Obama was right, he is like apple
Apple and Microsoft are, to me, like the Democrats and Republicans. There are things I love and things I hate about each, and no area of overlap.
Roger, you must adapt to Apple's products; they do not adapt to you. Apple is about Apple, not about its user base. Apple is a status symbol, a sign of sophisticated sophistication.
.....and also add :

.....pretentiousness. Apple is all about corporate, circular, self-centered-ness.

They excel [punning opportunity!] at marketing.
Former Apple drone here: when discussing Apple these days one shouldn't fail to mention that after updating an iphone 4S to IOS 7, a lot of folks lose their wi fi connectivity for good, myself included. It's a well known manufacturing flaw so hard to fix that Apple will offer a replacement, but for $199. Hence you pay $199 for a fix to a defective device after it gets terminally screwed by a software update issued by the same company, all this just a year and so after you purchased it brand-new.
Another 25 year user of Apple products. Your "It Just Worked" statement is only true for a limited set of operations. As long as you are doing exactly what Apple thought of, you are fine. However, as a co-worker said, if it didn't, you have't even started. If something doesn't work immediately, it generally will never work. I have found that problems that would drive someone away from Windows will be tolerated, or proclaimed a feature, by Apple users. Generally, Apple makes good entertainment devices, but my iPad reboots at a rate that would be unacceptable in any other device. Find something that works for you and stick with it regardless of what the latest fad is.
Let's repeat your, " Find something that works for you and stick with it regardless of what the latest fad is."

Excellent summation. It's Windows 7 for me via Dell and a favorite five year old HP "laptop" which is a gleaming stainless steel beauty and weighs a ton.

It just works.

For those of us who use NeoOffice (freeware version of Office) on their iMacs, this is a non-starter.
Remember when Final Cut X was released and people wailed forever about how Apple Hated The Pro Market And Final Cut Was Worthless Forever?

And then Apple re-added the actually important features over time, making it pro-grade again.

"Never remove features" means your software ends up horribly bloated and horrible.

"My new free software is crippled compared to the old version it didn't uninstall and I can still use" is ... not a significant complaint, I think?

(See Office - and note that every time Microsoft has come close, like with the actually excellent ribbon UI redesign, people cry bloody murder.)
If you're looking for a tool for writing, try Scrivener. Its drag and drop reorganization abilities make it vastly better than anything else for book length documents. It runs on Macs, Windows and (soon) iDevices. It synchs using Dropbox. I can write at the library on my MacBook and take up the writing again at home of my Mac mini with no bother about file synching.

Get it direct here: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

There's a free demo version. Or download it from Apple's App Store.

1 2 3 Next View All