Roger’s Rules

Chris Christie, Bully Blowhard

September 16th, 2013 - 6:19 am

Ouch. At least I say ouch. And remember, this is the man who thought the Ground Zero Mosque was just great: lots of Muslims who have to be fed and watered in New Jersey, you know.

Because of the Democrats’ irresponsible policies, many states are at the threshold of bankruptcy. Republicans were supposed to be the chaps who could fix that. Some did. Mitch Daniels in Indiana, for example: a sterling success story. But Christie’s New Jersey is just as much of an basket case as it ever was. More from the Star Ledger:

• Only 11 percent of New Jerseyans say they are better off than when he took office.
  • Employment is up just 2.2 percent since he took office.
  • Incomes are stagnant: New Jersey ranks near the bottom of the nation again.
  • Home prices are down 6.7 percent, putting New Jersey in the bottom quartile. Only Florida has a higher rate of foreclosure.

So why exactly should conservatives rally around this man?

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

An easy question to answer; simply put, Christie adheres to no conservative principles whatsoever. He may be an aggressive and effective debater, willing to publicly state unpleasant truths when it serves his purpose, but he has few principles, other than that he "deserves" high office.

Christie is more akin to Michael "Moneybags" Bloomberg, in that he is a control freak, and a fascist (in the psychological sense of the word), having no real love of individual freedom.
Christie is no more a conservative than Obama. He is like the deck hand on the Titanic whose job it is to rearrange the deck chairs during a crisis. The fiscal problems of NJ are still in place and he hasn't made a dent in them. He is so pro-Muslim that it is scary and he hates the second amendment. He is a true liberal in every sense of the word except that he went after the teacher's union in a SMALL way. He is a fat bully who literally throws his weight around. He would keep more conservative voters home on election day than Mitt Romney did.
"Remind me why conservatives should rally around this man?"

Because of gravity? :)
He is a phony conservative: A big government, anti-2nd amendment blowhard. No true conservative should even consider rallying around this charlatan.
Christie is quite frankly a "FRENCH REPUBLICAN"! This is far worse than a bully.
I think Christie is realistic. New Jersey has always neen a mess and voters there understand him. They wouldn't like namby-pamby candidates and their views on religion are not those of the Bible Belt.
If so, that won't really raise anyone's opinion of Christie (though it might further lower their opinions of N.J.).
New Jersey's Achilles heel is and always has been its confiscatory property taxes which drive thousands out of the state and suck millions of dollars from the economy in order to hand it over to the education industry, an industry which produces no product, brings in no profit and is corrupt. As one who left Jersey ten years ago in order to retire with dignity, I know of what I speak. Jersey and high taxes perfect together.
Christie's a lawyer, and perhaps worse, he's a government lawyer. In my experience there were three general kinds of government lawyer: a good lawyer who wasn't a good saleman, so s/he wasn't good at hustling hours in a private firm, a good or at least serviceable lawyer who loved the work, and a lawyer who would starve to death in private practice.

I've seen enough of Christie to conclude he is one of the first two; he's facile and agressive and doesn't seem lazy, so those traits would combine to make him a pretty good practitioner. But then, there's the fundamental problem with lawyers in government, especially in the executive branch of a government: lawyers always have to believe they are right.

I hired, supervised, and even fired a lot of lawyers. I'm not one, but I've gone toe to toe with lots of them and can hold my own. The key to being an advocate, especially an advocate with real power like a prosecutor or in my case a labor relations advocate, is you have to believe you can win. No matter what, you have to believe that you can beat the facts, beat your opponent, and win - NO MATTER WHAT. If you do it awhile, it makes you an a**hole, pure and simple. I do my best to be a laid back old retired guy basking in my memories and with an "I love me" wall behind my desk, but put me in an adversarial situation, especially a formalized adversarial situation, and I instantly grow fangs, claws, and horns and a tail. It's who you have to be to be successful as a government advocate.

The business about always having to be right makes most government lawyers into both terrible policymakers and terrible managers. A lawyer turned manager will try to do ANYTHING because if he thinks it up, he thinks he can do it. I'm really glad that when I finally became a manager and policy maker rather than just an advocate I had a very good lawyer as the Gov's chief of staff because he was smart enough to be able to credibly challenge my confidence that I could pull something off and make me more aware of the remote possibility that I might not pull it off and the damage that would do to the Governor. I shared Christie's tendency to be both an autocrat and a bully; that, too, comes with the territory as a government advocate. I had bosses and even a few coworkers who would argue with me, Christie is the boss and I doubt anybody would dare argue with him. I know him because I look at somebody a lot like him in the mirror. People like us need to be kept away from the public and only called out when you want us to break things or hurt people.
Christie was a successful Sate Prosecutor and that got him elected Governor and probably accounts for his bellicosity and bluster. Prosecutors always think they know it all.

As for 2016, in reading the comments it seems that no one agrees with me on Romney, everyone hates Rinos and wishes Reagan could be cloned. I don't advocate letting electability be a major consideration, but the reality is that the snakes of the MSM must be dealt with. Romney has the one thing the MSM won't create for us - like they did for Obama - and that HRC has in spades, name recognition. He's also capable of cleaning up the moral and fiscal mess Obama is going to leave behind. There's nothing the MSM can dig up in his background, he's good-looking and he's a gentleman. Oh, how I'd love to have a gentleman in the WH again!
Perhaps you hadn't noticed.... he LOST. Faced with the worst President EVER, he LOST.

Get over it.
1,000,000 times this!
He lost because of rampant fraud, up to and including corruption at the IRS. As well as the fact that the far right base stayed home. If the base is not going to participate in elections unless they get their unelectable nominee, we're doomed to having a newly-minted moderate HRC for 8 years.
Using your methodology I might as well vote Democrat. RINOs like Romney & McCain & Democrats are two peas in the same pod. If there is any candidate proven to be unelectable it is the RINO (moderate). If RINOs weren't unelectable you would have your President Romney right now. Democrats & leftists will always pull the lever for the real thing, not the GOP's imitation Democrat. If you want conservative policies nominate a conservative. Otherwise, you deserve the leftists you get in The Oval Office.
And before losing to the worse president he lost to the guy who lost to the worse president. Would that make him a loser squared? Sometimes parties do not have a candidate and they present whatever floats to the surface. My only argument in his favor would be that any trained baboon could do better that BHO. But then again I have hopes that BHO will fail so horribly that he will drag the Demokrats down with him. I do not want an interregnum of semi-conservative policies to revive America just enough so the parasites can continue feeding on the host. I want this fever to be over and I think BHO is the man to lead America to a bright Conservative future in the same manner that Jimmeh Carah begot Ronald Reagan. I don't care if we hit the target by ricochet as long as we hit it. I think we are getting there, It will be hard and painful but in the end we'll clean their clock.
I think if we want to proceed through the political waters sullied by Obama to a conclusion that's good for the country there are two things that have to be remembered. Ronald Reagan can't be recreated. He was of his time and place and of a generation that is gone and buried. Secondly, this is no longer a center-right country. Deal with it.
So basically the solution is surrender & try to out-Democrat the Democrats? Tell President Romney I said hello. What? Romney isn't President? Deal with it.
Good question, Roger. My take - he was the most acceptable candidate.

Were there others who promised more accountability, but they were seen beyond the pale?

As long as too many view accountability as something too politically unfashionable, government will resemble those it governs (or rules), and vice versa.
Aside from helping Romney lose, Christie's slobbering over Obama could qualify as public indecency. And aside for the cogent points made by inspectorudy below; there is his own statement that he agrees 95% with Leftist New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. Actually, with the exception of public insults to the teacher's unions, I would be hard pressed to find a difference between the two.

So let's not try to find anything showing he is a Conservative in any way. Some things are not possible without an electron microscope. I challenge anyone to find anything that shows that he is anything but an Institutional Republican flirting with the edge of formally becoming a Democrat. And even if the Institutionals force him onto the ticket, either at the top or as Jeb Bush's running mate, there is no reason for Conservatives to vote for him.

Another point against him. There are New Jersey victims of Hurricane Sandy who are still homeless, or whose homes cannot be re-occupied because the infrastructure has not been repaired. It has been two years. Compare the state response in New Jersey with that of Haley Barbour in Mississippi. The entire state of Mississippi was a disaster area. He mobilized resources [including help from outside, without trying to make them join a union in order to render aid] and had the infrastructure up and running and the bureaucracy out of the way.

If Christie cannot even perform at the level of one of the southern governors he surely dispises, why the hell should anyone to the right of Trotsky support him?

Subotai Bahadur
Great post, couldn't agree more. Yelling at a school teacher doesn't make a great political leader and NJ's results clearly show he is not effective. The worst part is that there are plenty of people who love bullies and wil not look beyond his boorishness to his policies.
Republican politicians have fouled in their own backyard and WE THE PEOPLE are not interested in picking up after them anymore.
1 2 3 4 Next View All