Unexamined Premises

Doing the only thing they're good at -- murdering wildlife

Doing the only thing it’s good at — murdering wildlife

No less an authority than the New York Times has finally gotten behind the #fluffybunnyfund and pointed out the bleeding (as the Brits say) obvious: that the domestic cat is a public menace of epic proportions. There’s too much good stuff in this piece — “The Evil of the Outdoor Cat” — by Richard Conniff to fully quote, so be sure to read the whole thing and savor every paragraph as if you were the killer cat in the photo above, enjoying the entrails of some hapless tweety bird. Here’s a taste:

Using deliberately conservative assumptions, federal researchers recently estimated that free-ranging cats killed about 2.4 billion birds annually in the Lower 48 states, a substantial bite out of the total bird population. Outdoor cats also kill about 12.3 billion small mammals a year — not just the proverbial rats and mice but also chipmunks, rabbits and squirrels — and about 650 million reptiles and amphibians. In some cases, they are pushing endangered species toward extinction… If you have ever seen a cat toy with its victim, you know these are not quick, or pretty, or painless deaths. So you might expect animal welfare groups to be ardently campaigning against outdoor cats, and particularly against the care and feeding of feral or stray cats, which do most of the killing…

As the author points out, the bleeding-heart “solution” of trap, neuter and return (TNR) doesn’t really solve the problem, since the newly sprung killers quickly turn recidivist. Even worse, of course, is the cat’s effect on humans — the little beasts bring with them all manners of disease:

Cats are three to four times more likely than dogs to carry rabies, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They also share many other parasites or infectious microbes with humans, including roundworms, hookworms, giardia and campylobacter. When cats live outdoors it is almost impossible to predict what they will bring home next. In Massachusetts and New York, for instance, cats recently turned up infected with a worm normally found in raccoons. One owner pulled four of them, about six inches long, through her cat’s skin, “which isn’t the best idea,” says one of the Cornell University scientists who reported the cases. Most insidiously, outdoor cats are the primary hosts of toxoplasmosis, which is estimated to infect almost 30 percent of all humans worldwide. Toxoplasmosis produces lifelong parasitic cysts in the brain, and though it is generally asymptomatic it has been linked to neurological impairments, depression, blindness and birth defects. Even in asymptomatic individuals, the infection is associated with significant loss of memory in later life, according to a study last month in the journal Brain, Behavior, and Immunity.

The #fluffybunnyfund is dedicated to stopping this massacre in our streets, byways and back yards. If you don’t know what it is, please join me on Facebook (“David Kahane”) or follow me on Twitter @dkahanerules, especially if you have absolutely no sense of humor and wish to vent your outrage at my flagrant contempt for our murderous feline “friends.” And don’t forget that the White House is now using cat pictures to try and sell the abomination of Obamacare. Evil in the service of evil: I rest my case.

UPDATE: The AP is reporting that two people in Britain have contracted tuberculosis from their pet cat:

England’s public health agency says two people have caught tuberculosis from a pet cat, the first time the bacterial disease has been documented to spread from cat to human. In a report published Thursday, Public Health England said it concluded TB samples taken from the cat and from two people in contact with the animal were “indistinguishable” and that the cat was considered to be “the likely source of infection.”

Between December 2012 and last April, veterinarians identified TB in nine pet cats in Berkshire and Hampshire, west of London. Public Health England said the two people who caught TB were recovering and said the risk of further spread from cats to humans is very low. TB is a bacterial disease that kills more than 1 million people annually worldwide.

Color me unsurprised. In other outrages:

Cats are now a criminal organization? They don't like the leash, but I don't think that makes them a criminal organization. Tea Partiers don't like the leash either so are they also a criminal organization? Well, maybe, I suppose, could be, I guess, Dear Leader thinks so anyway. Forward!
By anyone who actually has to use it. You think Thatcher subjected herself to the nightmare? Not bloody likely, mate.
...the strange phenomenon of Anglophilia that seems to infect so many Americans.

You needn't be Anglophilic to appreciate the political ancestry.
✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒ www.workbarr.com

✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤
my best friend's mom makes $61 /hour on the computer . She has been without work for 6 months but last month her income was $20647 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit this site right here .....>>>>>>>>>www.jobsyc.com
my friend's mom makes $75 an hour on the computer . She has been fired for 7 months but last month her income was $20709 just working on the computer for a few hours. why not look here........... http://www.works12.com
This just in. Check my update on page two of this post:
There's several David Kahanes on fb. which one are you?
Look for the cover of RULES FOR RADICAL CONSERVATIVES.
Transfixus sed non mortuus.
Cats have never maimed and killed kids. Cats do not crap on other peoples lawn. Cats don't end to be walked twice a day. Cats don't bark their heads off at odd hours of the night. Cats clean themselves. Cats are excellent at keeping vermin out. This is why farmers and horse owners keep them around. Cats helped improve sanitation and spread of the plague by killing rats. They are impressive animals. Nature needs predators to keep a balance between species.
Wow, 19, too?

I don't care if you're a woman, black, or 18 years old, so long as you pay taxes I think you should get to have a say in how they're spent.

Yes, I'm most concerned with the Progressive Era amendments, but 14 should go, too. I get that 14 was a response to the culturally ingrained racism of the day, but it clearly subverts States Rights, and Individual Rights. The 14th amendment is the impetus for the Constitutionality of the Civil Rights Act.

All of that garbage needs to be repealed.

Edit: Oops! This was supposed to be a reply to Michael Walsh's reply to me farther down the thread.
States don't have rights.
States have powers.
People have rights; and powers.
Where States have rights, people don't.
I was wrong. You are correct, BronxZionist. I apologize for chewing you out over this comment.

Thanks for setting straight.
It was clear from your first stupid response to me that you've never read the U.S. Constitution, and that you have no concept of why it was written, or the thought process behind the "why".

Now, you've underscored your ignorance with this comment. God help us.
I just figured I'd throw 19 in there too, to see if anybody would notice. But it is the case that women tend to vote for the Mommy Party, which is what gave us Barack Obama.
So people should only be allowed to vote if they are inclined to vote the "right" way.

Why not just skip all the pretense and have only one legal political party?
For that matter, just cut to the chase and have only one legal candidate?
He literally opened his comment with the fact that he was joking. You then attack the straw man you fashioned from the twisted remains of the original context.

You are arguing the wrong thing with the wrong people. Michael Walsh has not seriously advocated for tyranny. He regularly rails against tyranny.

I'd call you a troll, but I know you post here regularly. I guess that makes you a home-grown domestic troll. PJ Media's very own man-caused disaster.
It's clear to me that BronxZionist has no sense of humor, or understanding of deliberate exaggeration. It must be awful to be so literal-minded.
And remember when the current occupant joked about having the IRS audit his opponents?
Deliberate exaggeration!
Sense of humor!
Literal-minded awfulness!

What kind of horrible person takes the Constitution more seriously than that?
Yeah, because being literal-minded with the Constitution is so two centuries ago.
I mean really, all the cool kids know it is a living document . . .
Wow. Just wow. And "huh?"
Yes, he opened by saying it was a joke . . .
Then continued by saying it really is true anyway.

That is the kind of disingenuous absurdity you expect from a comedian.
In politics it gives us Leviathan and The Social Contract.
Well, to be honest I was just thinking about this the other day. That is, whether or not a married "stay at home mom" (or even a situation where the husband is a "stay at home dad") should have the right to vote. Technically, it's her husband who's paying taxes, but if she weren't staying home to raise the kids he wouldn't be as free to work the hours to pay their way.

I know that many single women voted for President Santa Claus, but most of them are college-aged morons who's full-time job is being a student. Again, these idiots would be covered under the concept of "no pay taxes, no vote".

Only working women or married women of working men would have the franchise.
Ah, so I am right - you do wish to tyrannically prohibit people from voting on the basis of sex.
Inevitably that will turn to equally selective and subjective denials based on race and age.

The joys of tyranny!
Stupid is as stupid does, mamma always says.
And mamma is right, you are quite stupid.

It is "interesting" that above you take me to task for taking the comment seriously when he was "obviously" joking, yet here you treat it seriously and declare outright that support restricting voting on the basis of sex.
It is not so much you are trying to speak out both sides of your mouth with this, but that you are spewing out both cheeks of your seat.
What about serving soldiers or veterans of the armed forces who don't pay taxes? Should they be allowed to vote? I'm inclined to think that anyone who puts their life on their line for their country has some skin in the game and should be able to vote. I expect other groups would also suggest plausible reasons why they should be able to vote, even if they don't pay (income) tax....
You know, to address your thought process, might I just ask -

If I happen to be walking past your house and notice it's on fire, and I run in and carry you out - thus saving your life - am I now entitled to tell you how to spend your money on your home?

I mean, when I risked my life to save yours, by your reasoning I now have some skin in the game. Based on your reasoning, had you not poorly spent your own money on your home; 1.) it either wouldn't have caught fire, 2.) the fire would have been suppressed, 3.) or you would have been alerted and I wouldn't have had to risk my life to save you.

So, don't I now get to decide with you how you will spend your money on your home?
Who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

Perhaps you've never encountered the concept of devil's advocate or the idea of posing a hypothetical question but that's what I was trying to do. Someone - I don't even recall who at this point - suggested that only (income) tax payers should be able to vote. However worthy that idea might be - I'm trying to keep an open mind on that point - it occurred to me that others may have some claim to making a sufficient contribution to society, even if they weren't taxpayers, to merit getting a vote too. I put that forward to see whether people might agree. That's all.

I was not using it to demolish the idea of having only income tax payers get the vote, just to determine whether reasonable people might disagree. I did not introduce the "skin in the game" metaphor, someone else did. I was just using it because it seemed apt.

And that's all I'm going to say in this thread. I have no interest in starting a flame war, however unjustly you chose to attack me.
Hi, Sparky.

Based on your history of replies, I doubt you'll come to any kind of logical conclusion, so I'll do you a favor and answer my own question.

No, I don't get to tell you how to spend money on your home, because I don't actually have any skin in the game, which is a nonsense phrase in this case. Financial responsibility is what we're really talking about.

Just as I freely risked my life to save yours - a noble deed in any respect worthy of high praise - I still don't have any financial obligations in your home. If a man freely joins the military to avoid paying taxes, he's no more financially responsible while fighting Iraqis than the day he joined.

So, no, serving soldiers who don't pay taxes and veterans who don't pay taxes should not have the right to vote. This is the same kind of stupidity that informs us that all veterans and soldiers (and cops and firefighters and EMTs) are "heroes". They aren't.

Heroes put themselves at risk to help others. I submit there are plenty of soldiers, cops, etc, who never in their careers perform a single heroic act. So, what's your point?
Yes, go ahead, create your own inane strawmen to try and justify your program of tyranny.
Like all such drivel, all your reveal is just how obscene your ideology actually is.
You should however do something about that extreme inferiority complex you have in respect to people in the military and veterans.
But you haven't identified a single straw man. You've only offered your own idiotic non-sequitur.

Thanks for participating!
Your strawmen is the absurdity of conflating having a voice in government with having a say in a household budget, compounded by your use then rejection of the term "skin in the game" when, by your chosen example, life is very much on the line.

You really need to stop participating.
Further, those who are paid in tax dollars should not pay taxes (why give them something just to take a little bit right back?), AND they should not get to vote. This would put an end to the self-licking ice cream cone that is most government bureaucracy.
Sparky, you probably haven't read my original thread below where I address this situation. I'm not talking about income taxes, which were unconstitutional prior to the 16th amendment.

Below, I list several amendments that need to be repealed. With that context, this part of the argument should make more sense to you, assuming you have much of a background or understanding of the U.S. Constitution.
If you're ever in County Wicklow, go to the Wicklow Gaol and listen to the tales of British oppression. The most feared punishment of the time was transportation to Australia which could be had for as minor an offense as petty theft.

I'm a quarter English so I'm genetically disposed to Anglophilia. I'm also descended from the Scots-Irish who helped settle the new world and finally rebelled against the British yoke. Personally, I'm grateful to all my ancestors, but seem to have a particular affinity for those responsible for British common law and the Magna Carta.
To be fair, I'm 1/16 Missouri Blackfoot. I'm also partially English and Irish. Mostly, I'm German and French. In none of those cases and I predisposed to be a lover of some lesser culture.

Your final points are great ones, though. Some good things did come out of Great Britain. America, for one. British common law and the Magna Carta were definitely important influences on our country and our culture.
Love your handle -- everybody needs to know Pepusch and Gay's "The Beggar's Opera."
Most people probably associate this moniker of hers with the double hit song 'Mack the Knife', once by Louie Armstrong, again by Bobby Darin.

From Wiki:
"The Threepenny Opera (German: Die Dreigroschenoper) is a musical by German dramatist Bertolt Brecht [BF: a filthy communist BTW] and composer Kurt Weill, in collaboration with translator Elisabeth Hauptmann and set designer Caspar Neher.[1] It was adapted from an 18th-century English ballad opera, John Gay's The Beggar's Opera,[2] and offers a Socialist critique of the capitalist world. It opened on 31 August 1928 at Berlin's Theater am Schiffbauerdamm."

But of course noted anglo- and Germanophile Michael Walsh is a classicist. /s
Not sure why the sarcasm. I was a classical music critic for 25 years, the last 16 of them at Time Magazine. And I am a Germanophile, having spent many years in that country and raised my children there.
Maybe I should have used /k. I was kidding you, or thought I was.
"Lovely folks, then and now; why the English are heroes to anybody but themselves is beyond me, since I am entirely immune to the strange phenomenon of Anglophilia that seems to infect so many Americans."

I no more hold the actions of Cromwell and his army against the English, than I do the massacre of Magdeburg against Catholics. You shouldn't either, but then you may well be quite the hypocrite.

I have no trouble, RE cats, with laws being passed generally recognizing the legality of carrying silenced .22s, and with the hunting and trapping of on non-urban public property, all feral or loose housecats--with strict liability for the same accruing to the hunters. I have no issue with people who have a problem countenancing the existence of feral, un-housed cats taking up a collection to provide bounties for the same.

What I do and should object to is the use of public funds to accomplish the same end.
'Course, I have no problem with laws being passed which explicitly make legal the general public to be generally armed, either.
1 2 3 Next View All