Unexamined Premises

Licensed to Smooch

July 16th, 2013 - 11:17 am

The Obama regime, for whom too much is never enough, blundered badly by rifling through the Associated Press’s telephone records; David Axelrod’s crew obviously assumed that their “friends” in the MSM would stay friendly even if and when the administration double-crossed them. They were surprised when the sheep bit back, however mildly.

At the same time, as I wrote here a few days ago:

I do not think “citizen journalism” is necessarily the miracle cure some consider it to be. I spent a year conceiving and executing the website Big Journalism with, and for, [the late Andrew] Breitbart, and my greatest difficulty there was trying to make him see that not everything about traditional journalism was a leftist plot. (I totally failed.) Today there remain some websites on the right that I simply do not either believe or trust, and I expect you can figure out which ones those are: they are marked by amateurish writing, shoddy reporting, and misapprehension of facts and circumstances that more experienced hands would instantly grasp. Further, there is something called “news judgment” — what is and what is not a story, which varies from editor to editor but which is vital to any institution, from the New York Times down to the lowliest blog, for it to have any credibility and influence.

But that’s the price we pay for returning to a media world that the Founders themselves would very likely recognize: an opinionated, intellectual (and not-so-intellectual) free for all, from which — if you accept Milton’s proposition that truth emerges through the trying — we can begin to discern the outlines of reality. As the saying goes, people tend to believe what they read in the newspaper unless they happen to know something about the event or subject under discussion: then, not so much. But the truth (minus the inexpert witnesses known as journalists and the interested parties known as sources) is out there.

A license to print under the beneficent watchfulness of Washington, though, is simply a license to smooch the bums of the watchers. No wonder folks turn away from “Journalists” with revulsion, and turn to Twitter when something, you know, actually happens. They may be temporarily ignorant, but they’re not stupid.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

I don't give a damn as to who/whom Holder THINKS he is, he and his boss man, have to go!

Then again, maybe Holder just "can't read cursive", as the pictured First Amendment shows!
Welcome to UNITED SOCIALIST STATES of AMERICA. This is how Marxism operates first they confiscate your guns then shut you up. Then you became slave of the ruling class. Just like 18th century south. This for the people who didn't vote in 2012, you deserve what are you getting.
pretty clearly the pamphleteering of thomas paine would not be allowed.

i wonder if the first amendment supporters who have poo poo'd the second amendment defenders will pay attention to this.
That Constitution-thingie is just an artificial construct by a bunch of dead white men who had slave-owners in their midst.
Delighted to see this tribute to John Milton's Areopagitica. I quoted from Paradise Lost here, using Milton's ambivalence about free speech as my theme: http://clarespark.com/2013/07/09/preconditions-for-hard-liberty/.
"given their recent track record as information falsifiers and administration cheerleaders."

RECENT?!??!

Where have you been for the last 60 or 70 years?
The author states, "...an opinionated, intellectual (and not so intellectual) free for all from which...we can begin to discern the outlines of reality." That is the problem, it is too much work for many in modern society with our push-button, remote control mindset.

It is universally believed that we all live a busy life with all that we have and want to do. Therefore, taking time to "discern reality" takes away from other things we want to do. Yes, that is somewhat true but there is another factor I would highlight. In my seven plus decades of life (experience) I have never seen a time when our government required watching so badly. Many years ago, most people thought that the government was acting in the best interests of the country. On occasion something would occur that peaked our interests but routinely we all but ignored the Fed government. Today, the individual acts of the government have a tremendous impact on our daily lives and with the reality of the so-called Progressive movement, we need to be alert 24/7.

Being retired, I have the luxury of time to keep myself informed. Those working and who have a young family have little time to be informed in the true sense of the word. Anyone who relies on MSNBC gets a tremendously slanted view of the news. There are news sources on the Right that have a slant in the other direction.

For the sake of America and our children, we need to be truly informed and that means, in my opinion, seeking news sources that are not legacy media but any and all who report and put their ideas out for discussion.

Holder's latest gambit is consistent with the Obama administration's goal of fundamentally changing America. Over the past 4 plus years, we have learned that the change is toward powerful, central government edging, ever so quietly, toward tyranny.

Like many people, I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard this jaw-dropping comment, primarily because of its striking similarity to a line my dad frequently uttered in jest: “I can read reading but I can’t read writing.”

I never knew the source of the line, but Miss Jeantel’s use of it in all seriousness set me to finding out. Low and behold, it’s from a 1937 movie, “Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba’s Forty Thieves.” I’m sure she’d hate knowing somebody else said it first, especially since it was an old white guy. As for my dad, I’m sure if I listened intently, I’d hear him out there somewhere, laughing his you-know-what off. ;)
I have decided to practice and perfect my use of cursive to 1) reconnect with the Founders and 2) enable myself to communicate without fear of government snooping
To borrow Glenn Reynold's schtick:

They told me if I voted for Romney we'd have an administration that favored megacorporations over citizens, AND THEY WERE RIGHT!